Woo Woo moments in Bujinkan

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
In an effort to use science to explain this, the following is my theory. Everything on this planet and in the universe at the most basic molecular level has one thing in common (that we know of). Electrical charge. This I think is the thread that ties everything together. Thoughts are electrical impulses in the brain that have various frequencies. The brain is capable of picking up these signals from outside the skull. Somehow... (I am no scientist) I think we have yet to define this transmission of information that seems to defy time and distance. Additionally, I don't think we will fully understand that until we get closer to understanding time and space.

Additionally, along the same note, life (what makes us) is fundamentally electricity. This can even be described as Energy. I think it was Einstein that theorized there is a finite amount of energy in the Universe. An someone else has proven that energy never dies, it just changes state. With this in mind, and reading some of Soke's books about life and so forth, and thinking in terms of the various religions, life takes on a whole new perspective for me.

Not to be rude here, but in my opinion, this entire explanation absolutely reaks of materialistic reductionism --- its essentially trying to reduce subjective experiences and qualia to objective jots of dirt flitting around the universe. This is a common attempt in many popular works --- such as the 'Tao of Physics' --- given that "scientific materialism" is only the academic worldview given credence in our current culture.

Bah, but perhaps this discussion is best suited for The Study?? :asian:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Not to be rude here, but in my opinion, this entire explanation absolutely reaks of materialistic reductionism --- its essentially trying to reduce subjective experiences and qualia to objective jots of dirt flitting around the universe. This is a common attempt in many popular works --- such as the 'Tao of Physics' --- given that "scientific materialism" is only the academic worldview given credence in our current culture.

Bah, but perhaps this discussion is best suited for The Study?? :asian:
Don't worry about it. It was my attempt at explaining my opinion, just as what you said was yours. Neither of us have it figured out whatever "it" is. Given that I have not read any of those works and I came to this idea on my own, I would venture to say, I must not be alone in thinking this way. It is also my opinion that all things can be explained by science. Granted, at this time, we lack the knowlege and science to explain much of what people would call supernatural. However, I fully believe in time, we will be able to describe it and explain it.

However, this should be debated elsewhere.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
It is also my opinion that all things can be explained by science. Granted, at this time, we lack the knowlege and science to explain much of what people would call supernatural. However, I fully believe in time, we will be able to describe it and explain it.

Perhaps, but this isn't "science" you're talking about here. Its reductionism.

Explanations such as these (and in no way am I applying this to you as a person) make the assumption that for something to be "real", it has to have exterior, physical, material bases. This is symptomatic of the pathological materialism that currently dominates the Western psyche (not just America, as many would presume).

This was readily abundant, for example, when it was implied that our thoughts and memories were "just" electrical impulses. That's certainly not how I personally experience the contents of my mind.

This form of biophysical reductionism is also evident in the Star Wars mythology, as well.

Laterz. :asian:

E

Elizium

Mankind knows more about the universe than our own oceans. We know that the "woo woo" element exists, but we do not know why. It will always be a mistery to the kans.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Perhaps, but this isn't "science" you're talking about here. Its reductionism.
Call it whatever you like. I was just expressing my opinion and in no way called it science. I attempted to articulate my thoughts through bits and pieces of science.

heretic888 said:
Explanations such as these (and in no way am I applying this to you as a person) make the assumption that for something to be "real", it has to have exterior, physical, material bases.
I believe many things are real that science cannot explain. My point is that I think mankind will eventually come to a point where these things that are currently unexplained and/or "spiritual" will be understood, defined, quantified, and explained. From this, a whole new science may evolve.

heretic888 said:
This was readily abundant, for example, when it was implied that our thoughts and memories were "just" electrical impulses. That's certainly not how I personally experience the contents of my mind.
Feelings aside, that is pretty much how the brain works. Much like billions of electric circuits. However, I firmly believe there is the "spirit" or "soul" that religious circles believe in, and science has yet to acknowlege.

heretic888 said:
This form of biophysical reductionism is also evident in the Star Wars mythology, as well.
Star Wars also has an abundance of politically charged details in it too, but I try to over look them. Dude Star Wars is cool!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking of wars, both regular wars and Star Wars, if you read "Noghri" backwards you will find what some believe to be a reference to a part of modern Middle-Eastern history...

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888, I don't really see your point. Big shadow is just trying to come up with a scientific explanation for things. Whats wrong with that?

To me, at least making a theory about why something happens based on our current understanding of the worlds is better than not trying to explain it at all, or just assuming it can't be explained.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I need more time alone, because I'm having trouble living in my skin. I keep breaking it open. My left elbo is bashed pretty badly and has two deep cuts on it. And I would have been hurt much worse if I hadn't had MA training.

I fell in the kitchen across the steps, twisted on impact, and landed with my ear touching my shoulder. The wall was right next to my head, and I lay there thinking about it for a few breaths and realized I hadn't even touched the wall. I'd just naturally twisted and moved my head out of the way. It was completely dark, which is why I fell. But I didn't hit the wall, and I can't explain why in any way a scientist would understand. It just happened.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
So, are there any films or videos of the godan test?
I don't know which years off the top of my head, but some of the Daikomyosai videos show godan tests.

Latest Discussions