Women in Combat?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This issue raises its head again:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0031101/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_women_in_combat

"Israelis Debate Using Women in Combat"

Israelis are questioning the use of women in combat after the killings of two female sergeants by Palestinians and a study suggesting women are too weak for deployment
[...]
Initial findings of the study commissioned by the commander of ground forces found, for instance, that most women are not able to lift the minimum amount required of combat soldiers, 110 pounds. It also said most women could not complete military treks, which typically involve carrying heavy gear, of more than 12 miles. Male soldiers can be required to march more than twice that distance.
[...]
A few countries allow women into some combat roles, including Germany, Canada, Denmark and Norway. In the U.S. military, women can serve on combat ships but are not allowed on submarines and are barred from serving in units whose main purpose is ground combat.
[...]
Since 1995, when a young woman petitioned the high court to be admitted to pilot training, five women have graduated from flight school and are serving as pilots or navigators. Women also guard Israel's borders in light infantry positions — which can involve ground combat — and operate long-range rocket launchers. Recently a woman was appointed commander on a missile cruiser.

K

Kingston

Who cares? LOL!

But seriously....who cares?

Everyone should have the right to defend their country.....

So what if women cant fight? They can try!!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as they can carry out the mission, why not?

The Russians used women on mortar crews and as snipers. They did great, from what I've heard.

In certain military occupational specialties some might have difficulties, and that needs to be looked at. Men have restrictions in that regard, as well. Tankers and pilots can't be too big (or at least that's the way it used to be).

Let them serve. Its their country, too.

SCS

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Russians used women on mortar crews and as snipers. They did great, from what I've heard.
It is my understanding that the female Russian snipers are some of the best that the world has ever seen. I'm a former U.S. Marine and have no problem with women in combat roles. Sure, it may be a bit more difficult for a woman to carry 100 lbs of gear on her back due to the difference in the center of gravity between male and female but other than your basic 0311 (that's basic infantryman) there is really no specialty that women should not be able to do as well as men. I served with several women during my time whom I would follow to hell and back and not have any doubt that they would get just as bloody, sweaty and viscious as I would. I really think that the biggest problem of women in combat is how us men have been programmed for so long to protect "the women-folk" at all costs.

So what if women cant fight? They can try!!
I believe they CAN fight. To try in combat is not good enough. Train the same as the men train, kill as the men kill, die as the men die. The battle field is the one true place where "equal rights" would be at it's apex. Fight at my side as a fellow warrior, and I will honor you all of your days regardless of which door you use when going to the head.

K

Kingston

ya, i was kind of joking with that last thing...sure they can fight....

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how much the people here agree with this concept, but one of the reasons that has been brought up about why women haven't been put on the front lines here in the US is the idea of rape as a method of prisoner torture.

The logical side of me says that torture is the same no matter what the method is, but the emotional side wants to tell me that rape is a worse torture.

Other issues might include relationships on the front, pregnancy, maternal instincts, rape and harassment charges and bias towards or against women.

Being a bit of a filmaphile, the issue of women on the front has been brought up in films like, Courage Under Fire and G.I. Jane.

It seems like for the longest time the military seemed to view it as, not necessarily negative, just messy.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
On a side note, did anyone know that Dr. Ruth was trained as a sniper in the Israeli army?

Blew my mind when I heard about it. Of course during that post WWII period, virtually everyone in Israel was undergoing military training.

"And zen you aim ze crozzhairs at ze middle of ze torzo...."

Latest Discussions