Just read this myself. Shoulder holster would be my guess also, very tragic

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, not a shoulder holster.

http://www.freep.com/article/201207...-duty-Detroit-police-officer-s-gun-discharges

“This was just a freak accident,” John Goldpaugh, a lawyer for the Detroit Police Officers Association, said Sunday. “They were having a party and the next thing, a woman is dead. He’s devastated by what happened.”

Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when the other woman came up behind him and tugged at his waist.
“And the gun went off,” Goldpaugh said. “It’s a fluke accidental shooting.”

The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer’s waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.

An IWB carry piece just happens to go off when he's touched by a young woman (who isn't his wife) at a party?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A holstered weapon "accidentally" going off? Id like to know how...shirt get pulled into the holster and through the trigger guard?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... doesn't add up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would hold everything being told to the public in question as the police department is Detroit. I know a lot of you on this board might take offense, but where the department is does make a difference in public relations and the level (if any) of corruption.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is the cop strapped at his own party? Weird...
Not really. Lots of cops carry most of the time. Reasons are too complicated for typing on a mobile device

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Damnedest thing I've heard in a while.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's not the sort of accidental discharge one usually associates with a woman hugging a man. I detect a certain frisson of glee going around that you get when there's hints of sexual scandal. It's the sort of story the red tops here love.

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This puzzles me, aren't holstered guns pointing towards the floor to prevent fatalities in the cases of accidental misfire? Even if the cop was bent over this would only angle a gun shot to the pelvis or abdomin, and knowing bullets don't travel in a straight line there is a chance of it creating these injuries, albeit a very slim chance! Something doesn't seem to add up. I'm interested to see the outcome though! Tragic loss of a life in any case :(

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is the cop strapped at his own party? Weird...

Totally normal. Many jurisdictions allow full time carry, and Detroit is one of them. If you lived in Detroit, you might want to be armed at all times as well.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I carry the same weapon in an inside the pants holster I've been climbed on by my kids. Tackled into a pool by friends. And fought suspects in a bar and its never "accidentally" gone off.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This puzzles me, aren't holstered guns pointing towards the floor to prevent fatalities in the cases of accidental misfire? Even if the cop was bent over this would only angle a gun shot to the pelvis or abdomin, and knowing bullets don't travel in a straight line there is a chance of it creating these injuries, albeit a very slim chance! Something doesn't seem to add up. I'm interested to see the outcome though! Tragic loss of a life in any case :(

Holstered guns point down to put the grip in an accessible position for drawing the gun. Some point to the rear (shoulder holster). Bullets don't travel in a straight line; it's an arc, and they can ricochet... but at those ranges, the line may as well be straight.

Latest Discussions