Woman Faces Jail Time For Growing Veggies In Front Yard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/woman-faces-jail-time-for-growing-veggies-in-front-yard.html

Who knew a Victory Garden could have you facing defeat? A Michigan woman is looking at the prospect of 93 days in jail because she planted vegetables in planters in her front yard and refused to abide by the town elders' interpretation of the planning code, WJBX reports.
The town ordinance says that front yards have to be planted with "suitable, live, plant material." The woman feels it qualifies.
"It's definitely live. It's definitely plant. It's definitely material. We think it's suitable," she told FOX.

Sheesh

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sheesh indeed... I was expecting an HOA problem from the title - but this is just silly. Do any of these people know how many "decorative" plants are edible? What if she was harvesting dandelion greens instead of putting down weed killer? Or harvesting iris bulbs? My local nursery recommended a variety of thyme as a quick growing ground cover between flowers... what about that? :idunno:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the funky pink kales you get to plant in fall are fully edible...

makes you want to thump somebody with a pumpkin...most of which are probably never considered for eating....

Do they know they planted veggies in DC on open spaces during WWII?!

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite part is the idiot city planner who says the definition of "suitable" is common. And then it turns out it isn't. Yet this zagnut can contribute to making decisions which will land this woman in a box of monsters.

-Rob

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(but the veggy garden is on the pathetic side....she needs more manure to make it grow better)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The city planners are full of manure. Maybe they can share? :D

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Let them eat cake!

The whole story is to crazy for me. Especially since it isn't an HOA...(err hate those things :ak47::rules:)