WIPE OUT!

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the same physiotherapist? ^^^ I may have some idea what the problem is...
It is the same one. She knew I was a little better informed than most of her patients so she recommended these
Youtube channels

….and her recommendations for rehab exercises fall into what is being said in them and other resources. Jo Gibson’s videos are especially good and research based. One of the take home messages is that rotator cuffs injuries take at least 3 months before things improve (in the absence of diabetes and being old) which is why I’ve waited this long before seeing the physio again.

I think the issue is I have a type III (hooked) acromial arch which means the supraspinatus tendon is constantly rubbing against the ‘roof‘ of the shoulder, even with the rehab exercises are doing this! So I’m trying to straighten it to a type II (curved) or even type 1 (flat) with the hanging exercises and then the rehab exercise can address the tendinopathy. In the mean time I’m doing the minimal recommended exercises i.e. circular arm pendulum and isometric external rotation exercises and it does seem to be improving as I get into my fourth month!

I’d be interested in your ideas, though, MetalBoar!

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still weight training twice a week and really enjoying it and have made really good mass and strength gains. I’m at the point where someone will see me in a t-shirt and say, “Do you spend a lot of time in the gym?” 😀

I train for about three hours per session now and at quite a pace. For the rest of the day post-training, I’m wiped out, often have muscular pain (particularly in my biceps and anterior shoulders) and need to take painkillers a couple of times and need a nap in the afternoon and can do very little. The next day I’m generally functioning almost completely normally again. I do get sick of all the protein shakes I have to get in during the training day, almost to the point of nausea, but as a veggie it’s pretty important to do.

I’ve just accepted that this is normal for me and it’s the price for being strong and having big muscles! 🤷🏾

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Last Friday was an ‘increase weight day’. I simply wore 2kg wrist-weights to provide an increment between my gym’s dumbbell increments. I also include a new abs exercise. The day after, I was in such pain, fatigued and felt very unwell necessitating oral analgesia! I tried a gentle seafront walk to flush out lactated, blah-de-blah but I had to go to bed at 8pm!

My conclusion, after talking to life-long friends, is this is all to do with advancing age, nothing more than that. I have a reduced capacity to recover because I’m getting on in years.🤷🏽‍♂️ Oh well…😢 ‘Time is the fire in which we burn.’
I was about to post that as we age we need more recovery time. Does not mean you can't workout like you do, you jsut can't go heavy as often.... try 2 days week heavy and give yourself at least 2 full day, I recomed 3, for recovery.
I’m 54 years old 😢

Take it from me youngin, been there done that..and over done it more than once...... and I am soon to be 31....for the second time ;)
I also had to deal with injury, joint replacement and arthritis, but I have 2 heavy days a week (Monday and Friday or Saturday), total gym and Bowflex 3 days a week, Bowflex heavier on the heavy days. and I am now trying to get at least 20 minutes of aerobic, 6 days a week....love my Sundays off :)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m still weight training twice a week and really enjoying it and have made really good mass and strength gains. I’m at the point where someone will see me in a t-shirt and say, “Do you spend a lot of time in the gym?” 😀

I train for about three hours per session now and at quite a pace. For the rest of the day post-training, I’m wiped out, often have muscular pain (particularly in my biceps and anterior shoulders) and need to take painkillers a couple of times and need a nap in the afternoon and can do very little. The next day I’m generally functioning almost completely normally again. I do get sick of all the protein shakes I have to get in during the training day, almost to the point of nausea, but as a veggie it’s pretty important to do.

I’ve just accepted that this is normal for me and it’s the price for being strong and having big muscles! 🤷🏾
I recommend swimming post workout,for a couple of reasons you probably already know. Same day, next day, whatever.

One of the reasons for the discomfort after lifting is microtorn muscle fiber, and your whole bodys musculature is what keeps you standing. So naturally sore muscles = you want to lie down and take load off those muscles. Shoulders, neck, back, legs especially.

But in a pool, that pull of gravity is lifted and it becomes much easier to move around, stretch etc which is important for promoting healing. Whether it's warm or cool, water submersion is just a soft of natural cast that takes pressure off of your sore parts, not to mention it's a relaxing way of chilling out.

And you can still take the nap after. For me, working out, a nice swim, and a nap are a trifecta. There is probably science research out there that supports all this, but personal anecdote, it works.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend swimming post workout,for a couple of reasons you probably already know. Same day, next day, whatever.

One of the reasons for the discomfort after lifting is microtorn muscle fiber, and your whole bodys musculature is what keeps you standing. So naturally sore muscles = you want to lie down and take load off those muscles. Shoulders, neck, back, legs especially.

But in a pool, that pull of gravity is lifted and it becomes much easier to move around, stretch etc which is important for promoting healing. Whether it's warm or cool, water submersion is just a soft of natural cast that takes pressure off of your sore parts, not to mention it's a relaxing way of chilling out.

And you can still take the nap after. For me, working out, a nice swim, and a nap are a trifecta. There is probably science research out there that supports all this, but personal anecdote, it works.
And if one can’t swim?🙁

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if one can’t swim?🙁
Never too late to learn! Swimming is a fundamental survival skill. Even the standard survival swim (staying afloat in one place) can be learned in a single day. Then learning a few strokes in deeper water can be mastered within a week (especially if you have decent muscle mass).

I used to be part of a local swim club but it got $$. My current gym has a few different types of pool, indoor/outdoor lap pools, and an outdoor open pool that is only about 4 feet deep. Shallow pools are typically a safe place for people who have never learned to pick up the skill. From a muscle recovery pov, you're still standing on the floor of the pool, but all your muscles become bouyant, allowing you to stretch out and heal without requiring a lot of paddling, cardio etc.

If you put your head under the water and stretch you can literally heat your bones and sinew. I love that.

I did end up searching for a decent article.

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never too late to learn! Swimming is a fundamental survival skill. Even the standard survival swim (staying afloat in one place) can be learned in a single day.
I can swim but very inefficiently. I can do the star fish thingy.
I used to be part of a local swim club but it got $$.
This is the issue. I looked at adult swimming classes but they’re so expensive. I’d rather drown than spend that kind of money!😑

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can swim but very inefficiently. I can do the star fish thingy.

This is the issue. I looked at adult swimming classes but they’re so expensive. I’d rather drown than spend that kind of money!😑
I edited that last post quite a bit. You might want to reread. Added some info.

Keep in mind I don't mean swimming laps, just immersion in a shallow pool and moving around is great for recovery.

There is usually a local YMCA. That's probably the cheapest pool access.

A home based lap pool pays for itself compared with a lot of yearly gym/pool membership costs.

Latest Discussions