Wing Chun vs Kyokushin Physical Analysis

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe even as a WCnr one should train their bodies to be physically tough. This is where I C Kyokushin excels and WC "in general" lacks but I guess it's a personal preference.

I use to train under a master in Korea (no non sense) old school. I don't believe in matching brute force with force but you better be able to take a hard shot if you just so happen to get caught and you will get caught once in awhile.

All in all, it's a personal preference. If I get caught and I will once in awhile, I won't be shock at all.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tactile Sensitivity - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Lightning Speed - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Non Telegraphic Movement - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Close Range Combat - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Simultaneous Counter Attack - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Economy of Movement - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Minimum Use of Brute Strength- This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Based On Natural and Scientific Laws - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Directness - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Conservation of Energy - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Centre Line Theory - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Use of Deflection - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Hand Trapping - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Maximises Use of Mass and Acceleration - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Upper and Lower Body Locked at Waist - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

The One Inch Punch - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Able to Fight In the Dark - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

etc etc etc.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tactile Sensitivity - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Lightning Speed - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Non Telegraphic Movement - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Close Range Combat - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Simultaneous Counter Attack - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Economy of Movement - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Minimum Use of Brute Strength- This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Based On Natural and Scientific Laws - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Directness - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Conservation of Energy - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Centre Line Theory - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Use of Deflection - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Hand Trapping - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Maximises Use of Mass and Acceleration - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Upper and Lower Body Locked at Waist - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

The One Inch Punch - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

Able to Fight In the Dark - This is where Wing Chun excels and Kyokushin in general lacks.

etc etc etc.

Any more questions??:) lol

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Id personally prefer to use that extra time training to be a more skilled fighter instead of using it to toughen my body. I feel as long as I keep healthy then I will have the stamina to take a hit.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Id personally prefer to use that extra time training to be a more skilled fighter instead of using it to toughen my body. I feel as long as I keep healthy then I will have the stamina to take a hit.

Thats it mate , and the toughening of the body is a natural by product of hard training anyway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why kyokushin? Plenty of other styles can be just as 'tough', its down to the person not the art, I know a very tough guy from Whin Chun and a very wimpy guy from MMA!
Posts that say 'my art is better than yours' are boring and unnecessary but when answered in the way mook jong man has, also very, very funny. :)

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the argument of which art is better just gets old after a while. We all know its Vincent Van Gogh.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to be as physically tough as kyokushin there is nothing wrong w/ that.

I agree that being in good shape generally is a great idea. But we don't waste a lot of our limited class time on general conditioning (outside of what we specifically need for WC). You can do that stuff on your own and without spending money. Body-weight exercises are free. You can accomplish a lot without having to invest in expensive equipment or a gym membership.

On the other hand, Navi, keep in mind that you have to be able to relax and be loose to move like a 'chunner. Certain kinds of conditioning can produce undesirable tension and rigidity which will impede your development, especially where sensitivity, speed and "springy-energy" are needed. My instructor is short, heavy, and looks out of shape, yet he can throw some of his buffest students around like rag-dolls. And not only is he powerful, but he's extremely fast, and so relaxed that those same buff students get totally exhausted working with him while he doesn't even break a sweat. Now that's what WC/VT/WT should be about!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why kyokushin? Plenty of other styles can be just as 'tough', its down to the person not the art, I know a very tough guy from Whin Chun and a very wimpy guy from MMA!
Posts that say 'my art is better than yours' are boring and unnecessary but when answered in the way mook jong man has, also very, very funny. :)

Good post ...and a really funny typo, Irene. I think it's inspiring me to concoct a new motto: More Wing Chun, less Whine Chun!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post ...and a really funny typo, Irene. I think it's inspiring me to concoct a new motto: More Wing Chun, less Whine Chun!

Well I have to write the word lol if I write WC as a lot of you do it has different connotations in the UK and I think you are always off to the loo. ( ok lavatory for the non Brits). I think actually I was thinking about too many things when I misnamed it!

I have to say too there's times when a certain rigidity is called for :ultracool

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found all the responses to very informative but make no mistake a one slightly mentions one art "better than the other" that wasn't the issue. The issue was physical toughness to withstand hard strike if unavoidable...not technical skills... Once again, all excellent responses and opinions. It was all about physical conditioning.

Props to all. It's all about making WC better. I think a perfect example of someone who can deliver physically and take one physical and yet he excels in all of the arts contrary to popular conception is Bolo Yeung (Tai Chi:)))

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found all the responses to very informative but make no mistake a one slightly mentions one art "better than the other" that wasn't the issue. The issue was physical toughness to withstand hard strike if unavoidable...not technical skills... Once again, all excellent responses and opinions. It was all about physical conditioning.

Props to all. It's all about making WC better. I think a perfect example of someone who can deliver physically and take one physical and yet he excels in all of the arts contrary to popular conception is Bolo Yeung (Tai Chi:)))

Whatever your intentions posting Wing Chun V Kyokushin you immediately made it a style versus style thread. I would suggest next time a less misleading and contentious title.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
I didn't get that idea at all. It says it right up in the thread title, physical analysis. It's a comparison, not one is better than the other. OP personal preference is that he should be able to take in the shots if he gets hit. I most definitely see the value in this.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because "WC" is principle based and many of its aspects are internal in nature, I think it's very easy to allow WC to fall into so much theory not much substance, and chi sao can become nothing more than a sophisticated game of tag.
So it is very important to keep the realism in your training. Being able to give as well as receive.

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes ppl want to read into what's not there.....TMI (Too Much Insight:)) Is it what I said.....Physical Analysis.

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Remember me...........if I ask a question it's only to gain knowlegde no more no less. Why look for a confrontation when the confrontation initially lays within you.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes ppl want to read into what's not there.....TMI (Too Much Insight:)) Is it what I said.....Physical Analysis.

WC is principle based? so is this implying that there are no principles in Kyokushin? Because I know that to not be the case.

This style versus style crap is tired, every time you try to list this or that you end up excluding the human factor and what is implicit rather than explicit within the style.

OP
N

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why is it whenever a question is asked for clarification there's always someone looking for a confrontation.............read my last imput. To know urself is one thing and to know ur opponent possible capabilities is a blessing. Educate don't denegrate.

In order to have friends and good associates, u must first show urself to be friendly.

Latest Discussions