Wing Chun vs. Aikido

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And I have never said this either. I am always open to being proved wrong. Unlike some people on here who insist that they will never get taken to the floor, I know that there are always things I won't have seen (its a big world out there), but when people 'stretch' an art just to make it fit every criteria, its sad. Wing chun has very poor groundwork. Again, people try to make wing chun work on the floor and it is another case of people trying to stretch an art just so that wing chun doesn't lose face
Use your art for what it is strongest at. If you see a hole, plug it, with whatever works. If a boat is sinking, you dont try and plug the hole with exactly the same material the boat is made out of. You plug the hole with whatever fits!

Anyway, I think people are getting too fired up on here (including me) for silly reasons. No art is crap. but arts can be crap at certain things. Wing chun is crap in the cage. Who cares? It works for what I want it for (street defence). People shouldn't worry if their art doesn't fit a certain criteria

I don't have a problem just having a discussion with people and disagreeing. The only thing I think I'm getting 'fired up' about is the way you declare your 'facts'. But with your admission of being open to being wrong, I'm content to disagree. I would say that saying Tai Chi is not a combat art is tantamount to saying Boxing is not a combat art. Boxing is a sport designed for the ring not the street, but it has skills that can be useful in a real fight, though I would not want to be caught with only that skill set in my bag. Tai Chi, when taught and trained properly, does have useful skills for combat, but I wouldn't want only those skills in my bag.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What if you enter competitions like free fight,ufc or tournament sparing? Anything other than a battle to the death.

Then there are only certain skills allowed alltogether. So that means that many things in the bag go out the window, which i think is not a bad thing actually.

In real real life the more brutal the move, the bigger the reponsibilty, the bigger will be the retaliation by the other side. That is the impulse that ones sends and that which is received on the other end. It is something natural and human.

By taking part in tournaments or great sports like sparing, we also become great, can honour one another and can all be winners all the time.

But of course, ripping out the enemies eyes extracting their beating heart with bare hands is probably still the most effective counterattack.

Everthing is possible in the realm of the spirit which is the true origin of..everthing. ??that is reality. As a martial artist or warrior one can only hope to not lose in real battle where the casualties are terrible if not fatal. One must be thankful to have the freedom and peace to hone the skills of combat or carry out ones duty without bloodshed and remain healthy in the bubble of ones mostly priveledged existance.
If it wasn't for the constant rebirth of the warrior spirit, it probably would have disappeared the instant that it surfaced.

j

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very true. Ultimately many of the highly rated arts such as boxing and MMA are in fact sport based arts. They are limited to rules and conditions

Yet these arts can make the transition to street fighting very easily and often do

People always see standard boxing as a good street art due to the speed and awesome punching technique. Yet because the fighters train with 14oz gloves on, most train bad guards (ie once you take the gloves off, the guard is wide open)

Most good boxers will train gloved and non-gloved fighting and train both the sport side and the combat side

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Vids never show the true nature of things, especially in this day and age of photoshopping and video editing

I think that kind of discredits your arguments when you bring out that kind of excuse...

I have seen Chen Bing stuff before and only validated my argument. Certainly it is one of the closest that tai chi gets to combat, but compared to other martial arts it still is unrealistic in its 'applicable' applications

Sorry if that offends, but that is my two cents

It's not about offending. It's about saying your stuff in "based on fact" when it clearly isn't. Throwing accusations like video editing and photoshopping. Don't know how that even came up.

I am surprised that you think the stuff from Taiji is unrealistic in combat. I wonder what you think of Shuai Jiao or Jiu Jitsu and other forms of wrestling/grappling where, realistically speaking, have similarly principles and many times similar actions.

Latest Discussions