Wing chun in everyday life?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've already used wing chun, plenty, when it comes time to make decisions in life. By that I mean, I look for the most direct approach, remain relaxed when making important decisions and focus on remaining stable. This has helped a lot.

Well, today I used a different approach when confronted with a slight issue. I inserted the correct change, into the vending machine, for a honey bun. I was really hungry :D. Anyways as it was making its way towards the glass, instead of falling, it decided it wanted to grab on and hold for dear life. So, I'm standing there looking at, distraught, hoping that no ones around cause I'm gonna blast this sucker. HA. The coast is clear so I put my hands uptop and try leaning into it. DOH, its bolted to the floor. Notta problem, a few smacks to the front and she's sure to fall. That didn't work either because the front of the machine is on a hinge and gives a little do to the small gap between the door and the machine. WC popped into my head and I thought "I wonder if...". I squared up to the corner of the machine so that it's 90 degree was pointing towards the tip of my triangle and I got on my horse. I placed my palm on the corner of the door and leaned forward and back to find my center. Once I had a good structure, I pressed the door against the machine to close the gap and began the process. First the feet went left, knees, hips, shoulders BAM!! The honey bun shot out of its place, hit the glass and is now in a better place. Thank you WC for being there when I needed you :D lol

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good job dude. And some people think our CMA is useless
icon12.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recall a Wing Chun master (who's name eludes me) who said he was such an effecitive buisness man because he (like you) put his Wing Chun training into his daily life.

Thanks for keeping the spirit of that Master alive.

CheukMo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with CuongNhuka and Qui-Gon, you are truly living the art!

Cheuk-Mo

Qui-Gon, I remember of hearing of at least one master who accredited his success to Wing Chun but I can't remember his/her name either.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had similar experience with the Bullseye quiz machine that you find in most pubs. My students and I were playing and came to an answer we didn't know. So I palm striked the screen and it came up with the right answer.

True story. Quiz machines - run for your life!!!

I do find myself opening doors with palm strikes nowadays and when I move through crowds, I practice my movement and balance.

Everyday challenge for you - when you next move through a crowd, try not to touch anyone. It's kind of fun

Anyway, now that you all know how I live my life, I ask for pity....

OP
B

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have had similar experience with the Bullseye quiz machine that you find in most pubs. My students and I were playing and came to an answer we didn't know. So I palm striked the screen and it came up with the right answer.

True story. Quiz machines - run for your life!!!

I do find myself opening doors with palm strikes nowadays and when I move through crowds, I practice my movement and balance.

Everyday challenge for you - when you next move through a crowd, try not to touch anyone. It's kind of fun

Anyway, now that you all know how I live my life, I ask for pity....

HA, that reminds me of that urban ninja video where that one dude was dressed up as a ninja and did the silent ninja walk through the crowd in that one mall.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really? That's genius!!

I used to do this on the way to work everyday. I used to go through Victoria Railway station and it used to be so much fun. People would look at you a bit funny, but they were people I wasn't going to see again.

It has improved my agility 80%

OP
B

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? That's genius!!

I used to do this on the way to work everyday. I used to go through Victoria Railway station and it used to be so much fun. People would look at you a bit funny, but they were people I wasn't going to see again.

It has improved my agility 80%

search "urban ninja" or "team Ryouko" its bad a55

OP
B

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, just applied WC to yet another everyday situation. I was on break, smoking a cigarette, and as usual practicing half extended moves. Well it came time to flick my ash and I figured, what the hell....Feet went left, then the knees, hips, shoulder,elbow and then BAM!! No more ash :p The guys standing around were all, "holy crap that was bad" hehe

It looked pretty kewl cause the cig only moved about 2 inches but the ash shot out straight about a foot.

Flame if you want, I'm always practicing and using WC for silly things.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hahahaha. My only flame would be that smokings bad for you dude

When I first started training wing chun, I used to train on the London underground to and from work.

Amongst a crowd, no-one can see you sitting in stance and it used to be interested seeing if I could hold the stance while the train jerked forward etc

Aki

White Belt
Reaction score
Saved a girl from being abused by her ex boyfrend and now she is my baby and I love her.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i find myself thinking about wing chun. i use a gan sau to push the tunstiles at subways and on the train use shifting stances.
yes. nerd. lol
but for some reason nowadays, decision making is more direct for figuring problems for me. maybe it's the wing chun.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent story. I have done the same thing in pass. I also find that Wing Chun is useful for little things like popping a door off a floor lock. You know like the ones schools use to hold doors open at bottom of door. They have a little latch that locks the door open. Well If you hit the door with a one hand palm strike using your stance and hips to generate force along with the breath and inch power the door pops off the bottom hinge and closes. I found just using my arm strength to push the door back so the latch will pop up never worked. Many people have to bend over pushing the door with one hand an lifting the latch up with their fingers. But the only problem is what if that metal pinches their fingers. Thank you wing chun I can close the door with having to bend over or lean downward. Just use a little chi and whole body power an the door closes its great.

I also am overjoyed The Martial Talk forum has gave me a green belt.....Wooo Weeee. Thanks for the green belt its an honor.

I've already used wing chun, plenty, when it comes time to make decisions in life. By that I mean, I look for the most direct approach, remain relaxed when making important decisions and focus on remaining stable. This has helped a lot.

Well, today I used a different approach when confronted with a slight issue. I inserted the correct change, into the vending machine, for a honey bun. I was really hungry :D. Anyways as it was making its way towards the glass, instead of falling, it decided it wanted to grab on and hold for dear life. So, I'm standing there looking at, distraught, hoping that no ones around cause I'm gonna blast this sucker. HA. The coast is clear so I put my hands uptop and try leaning into it. DOH, its bolted to the floor. Notta problem, a few smacks to the front and she's sure to fall. That didn't work either because the front of the machine is on a hinge and gives a little do to the small gap between the door and the machine. WC popped into my head and I thought "I wonder if...". I squared up to the corner of the machine so that it's 90 degree was pointing towards the tip of my triangle and I got on my horse. I placed my palm on the corner of the door and leaned forward and back to find my center. Once I had a good structure, I pressed the door against the machine to close the gap and began the process. First the feet went left, knees, hips, shoulders BAM!! The honey bun shot out of its place, hit the glass and is now in a better place. Thank you WC for being there when I needed you :D lol

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brocklee, your just too cool! lol! Cute stories.
I used to practice basic (horse) stance when I first started WC while working at the airport.
Little me was security and had to stop people walking through the metal detector all at the same time. (they really get in a hurry)
Well, at that job I truely realized how short I was in relation to the rest of the world! On most men my head only came up to thier chest, but one day this gigantor man came through. All I saw was his oversized belt buckle, as he proceeded to walk right through me. (guess he didn't see me from way up there.)
He didn't hear me tell him to stop and wait for a moment either.
Bonk! He walked into me with enough force to normally put me on my butt! But, to mine (and his) shock I completely stopped him from moving forward with a rooted stance.
He was apologetic, and nice, just didn't see me. And was flabber gasted that he didn't just trample me.
Good thing basic was coming along, 'cause that did hurt. lol!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At work on some breaks I usually practice Sil Lim Tao or another form in bath room. At my second job the bath rooms are really big. An the stalls give alot of space for SLT. An way on the elevator at my second Job I practice YGKYM and Hanging Horse. When the elevator is going up and down. This has done wounders for my root. I also practice my YGKYM at my first job. People rarely notice it. I sometimes to do routines of dan chi sau while walking alone or if I get some major time alone I practice my kicks. The first gig has some padded beams in the basement. You know the support base of concrete. Its padded with like mat material. So I practice knee and elbow strikes and punches.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't train in WC, but I like reading your stories, and how you all train. Sorry in advance, if I am butting in, but I wanted to share something. It was said that Chojun Miyagi would say, that your martial arts stance, should be your everyday stance, and that your everyday stance should be your martial arts stance. I take this to mean that you should be relaxed, and incorporate your martial arts principles into everything you do, all day long. From walking, to turning a door knob, pushing a gate open, to even driving a car. I feel he meant that by doing this you were training all day long.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its great, I am glad that you are so interested. Yes we are interested in arts. Its great that you too have a desire to practice hard. I am glad you fine interest in our post. Please contiune to share. Yes your art should be a way of life. Not just a hobby. Although some hobbies are ways of life for some people. Like some people smoke cigarettes or drugs as way of life. They live to smoke and drink. Some people party as way of life etc etc.

I don't train in WC, but I like reading your stories, and how you all train. Sorry in advance, if I am butting in, but I wanted to share something. It was said that Chojun Miyagi would say, that your martial arts stance, should be your everyday stance, and that your everyday stance should be your martial arts stance. I take this to mean that you should be relaxed, and incorporate your martial arts principles into everything you do, all day long. From walking, to turning a door knob, pushing a gate open, to even driving a car. I feel he meant that by doing this you were training all day long.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Years ago I was living with a mate and his girlfriend and they owned two very big hyperactive dogs , they were those kind of big dopey dogs that always seemed to look like they were smiling .

I felt a bit sorry for these dogs because my mate and his overly clingy girlfriend ( I tried to teach my mate WC but she got jealous and knocked it on the head) anyway they rarely played with the dogs and they were craving attention .

So I used to go out to the backyard and throw the tennis ball for the dogs and they would fetch it and bring it back . Only problem was that they would be so excited that someone was playing with them that they would forget to stop when they got to you and would charge straight through you or jump on you .

Well I got a bit sick of being covered in muddy paw prints and almost being pushed over , so I hit upon the idea of re -directing them with Garn Sau's or Seung Bong's , one was abit faster than the other so I'd deflect him first and then the other one would come bounding in for his turn , they thought this was a great game .

It was a win win situation , I got to practice and they got to play although it did get a bit hairy sometimes when they both started rushing me at once .

So there you go , you don't need expensive martial arts equipment to train , just two big enthusiastic dogs and a tennis ball with slobber all over it .

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love that story mook jong man. I had the same type of experience with 2 dogs that I once had. A 75 pound female Keeshond and a 90 pound male Yellow Lab. They were my best sparring partners, lol. They both died of old age and I still miss them.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea but dogs can be expensive...lol...like what $200 for an average dog right?

Years ago I was living with a mate and his girlfriend and they owned two very big hyperactive dogs , they were those kind of big dopey dogs that always seemed to look like they were smiling .

I felt a bit sorry for these dogs because my mate and his overly clingy girlfriend ( I tried to teach my mate WC but she got jealous and knocked it on the head) anyway they rarely played with the dogs and they were craving attention .

So I used to go out to the backyard and throw the tennis ball for the dogs and they would fetch it and bring it back . Only problem was that they would be so excited that someone was playing with them that they would forget to stop when they got to you and would charge straight through you or jump on you .

Well I got a bit sick of being covered in muddy paw prints and almost being pushed over , so I hit upon the idea of re -directing them with Garn Sau's or Seung Bong's , one was abit faster than the other so I'd deflect him first and then the other one would come bounding in for his turn , they thought this was a great game .

It was a win win situation , I got to practice and they got to play although it did get a bit hairy sometimes when they both started rushing me at once .

So there you go , you don't need expensive martial arts equipment to train , just two big enthusiastic dogs and a tennis ball with slobber all over it .

Latest Discussions