Wing Chun Competition

dannyh

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a boxer who has been studying Wing Chun intensely and independently for a while now. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I can test my Wing Chun abilities in competition. What's the best way to break into tournaments? What qualifications do I need to enter these tournaments? Where can I find tournaments? I'm not looking to get into MMA.

Cheers!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a boxer who has been studying Wing Chun intensely and independently for a while now. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I can test my Wing Chun abilities in competition. What's the best way to break into tournaments? What qualifications do I need to enter these tournaments? Where can I find tournaments? I'm not looking to get into MMA.

Cheers!

You want some competition , walk into your local pub on a Friday night and start insulting people.
Because that's about the only place you will be able to use it properly , bare fisted and with shoes on.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun isn't exactly a tournament art, thoug it can be modified for that purpose. There are many tournaments around the country, both open and kung fu. You just gotta look for them. Call local schools that advertise by showing off thier trophies. There aren't a lot of requireents to enter tournaments. In Chinese tournaments you will compete according to your time training. In karate and open tournaments, you generally compete against people of your own rank, which can get a bit confusing if you are multiple discipline.

OP
D

dannyh

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I understand that Wing Chun isn't a sport, but I'm going to look into kung fu tournaments as a way to test my abilities.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
My next bit of advise would be stick to continious matches and not point fighting. WC shones when it comes to controling your opponent as apposed to tagging him.

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You don't necessarily have to compete with other Kung Fu practitioners. If you're just looking to test your skills against another skilled opponent, then google your local fight clubs. They are everywhere, usually have good rule-sets, and they will pair you with the right person.

Wish you luck, and welcome!

-Denny

Latest Discussions