Wierdness

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two seperate but intertwined stories here. Bear with me.

Our dojang holds testing the first Tues of every month. Not everybody tests, of course, and sometimes nobody is testing. Testing day in Oct is the 5th, which also happens to be my 49th birthday. Since my wife (7th geup) daughter (8th geup) and son (9th geup) will all be ready to test then, I had set a goal to get myself ready to test as well. It struck me as a fun idea to test the entire family the same day.

Now the other story.

I went home from work Mon morning with some belly pain, which through the day got worse. By the time Sue got up, I was pretty well convinced it was appendicitis. I was actually showing classic text book symptoms. We came on in, figuring since she was working, I'd get it out and she could take me home in the morning. But that was before we did the CT.
The CT showed that my appendix was fine. I had appy symptoms because I had a big tumor in the same area and it was causing a bowel obstruction.

Now the overlap and wierdness.

One of the first things that ran through my mind while looking at the CT was that this was going to screw up my plans for Oct.

The tumor was a fairly rare cancer. After removing it, 18 inches of intestine, most of the lymph nodes in my belly, and scraping off the mets on the bladder and peritoneum on Tuesday, I'm looking forward to going home soon. I'm hoping the rest will still test in oct, but I don't really think I'll be up to snuff.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Holy Cow, I don't think weird will begin to cover this! :eek::eye-popping:

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my! I hope all goes as well as it can! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family durning your recovery. I hope the cancer got its butt kicked and you're back to your old self soon. :)

Hehehehe....you're a true Martial Artist by thinking about a test at a time like that ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
First off glad that you caught this when you did. Hopefully this will be the end of it and you will be just fine. God bless.

Now if you think it is weird to worry about your test when you have such a major life experience thing happening. I say no. That is how the brain deals with things. Human kind seems to just want to keep plugging away at even the most trivial task at the most critical of times. It is what keeps us sane if you will.

Good luck to your family on their test and good luck to you with a full recovery.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same, I hope a full recovery firsth and then the examination my friend. Get well firsth the other is secondary.

Manny

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now the overlap and wierdness.

One of the first things that ran through my mind while looking at the CT was that this was going to screw up my plans for Oct.

That's not weird. It's the sign that you're a martial artist.

Well ... OK, when I put it that way...

The tumor was a fairly rare cancer. After removing it, 18 inches of intestine, most of the lymph nodes in my belly, and scraping off the mets on the bladder and peritoneum on Tuesday, I'm looking forward to going home soon. I'm hoping the rest will still test in oct, but I don't really think I'll be up to snuff.

Glad you caught this when you did. I'll certainly pray to St. Peregrine for your continued health, however.

Pax,

Chris

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had cancer twice...I have been fine since 2001...I never let the Bastard(cancer) have the satisfaction of changing my life!!!! Do everything that your Doctor tells you and put it behind you as quickly as possible. A positive attitude is the most important thing.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like you're in for a different kind of test.

Friend, a colleague of mine went through this and is thriving today. Don't be afraid to research and ask questions and get at least two more opinions on how to proceed from here.

Only the best to you! Please keep us informed as to your progress.