Why WT/WC does NOT work in the RING!

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
You talk good sense, Jeff.

In the U.K we don't have much of a wrestling culture, that I know of, not near me at any rate. Though bjj is getting increasingly popular, judo is still in my opinion, the most likely thing you'd come up against or be likely to find being taught near you. What's your opinion on judo's ground fighting and putting it with ving tsun, Jeff?

Vectic,

Funny you should ask. My ex was a very skilled Judo-ka. She took junior worlds... twice I think. I've seen her compete and tried all my wrestling/wt/boxing/mma against her and my honest opinion of Judo is that it is a pretty effective throwing system; However I wasn't overly impressed with their ground-fighting and that is because in competitive Judo (what my ex did) they aren't allowed to do groundfighting... or weren't at the time we were still together. So we didn't really do a lot of that. Plus I was teaching her more stand-up and defenses against take-downs.

This is one topic (judo ground-fighting) where I am certainly out of my depth.

I don't think we should really focus on any type of "Defensive" techniques. I'm all about offense. But concessions must be made. Hence the necessity of incorporating more (and better) anti-grappling techniques.

I've seen some very visually gratifying throws in judo. My ex and I would sometimes go on youtube and just check out their compilation clips and they were SICK!

The only reason I don't like judo throws/techniques is that nowadays (because I haven't seen/experienced the practical) all it seems to be is based off getting points. So I see a lot of compromises of body position/tactical advantages.

Anyways, if you can hit up those BJJ people and if you can find a "collegiate" style wrestling anywhere around you they are definitely some good folks to look up!

All the best bubba,

Jeff

Latest Discussions