Why we do straight line attacks

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is a great example of leg jamming and why we use linear attacks down the centerline .

Some criticisms i have is that his guard is way to low , instead of waiting for the kickboxer to move he should have initiated the attack by bridging the gap with his own kicks instead of reacting to his opponents kicks .

Also after jamming a kick or connecting with his own kick he should have stepped in and pressed the attack with punches to keep the kick boxer off balance and under pressure .

But all in all it is one of the better portrayals of Wing Tsun / Wing Chun that i have seen on the internet which as we all know is awash with a sea of crappy examples of our art .

Last edited by a moderator:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, the shortest distance between two points IS a straight line ... right? :uhyeah: Good video.

This is a sparring video of some wing chun dude versus a kickboxing guy. Either the wing chun-ist is very good, or the kickboxer is very bad. You be the judge.
I judge the kickboxing guy being very bad... :rolleyes:

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think the kickboxer hasnt fought too much before looks timid, the wing chun guy more confident didnt look like he was under pressure at all and he never really pressed on his opponent but the video was good

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
from what i saw there it was a bad match up in skill levels,in their different arts.
the vid showed clearly how great our wc kicks and legwork is.

i am amazed at the huge anti WC brigade posting comments and how "crap" it is and why we dont win mma tornaments etc etc.

and anyone who defends us with fair comments is berated.

what gives?

matsu

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
using other kicks as well such as the cross kick like bruce lee does(example:arena fight with chuck norris)- would have made the wc fighter even faster at taking control, which he did many times. he was also bit larger not to mention more skillfull. wc is great for developing sensitivity and skill for fighting.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
from what i saw there it was a bad match up in skill levels,in their different arts.

i am amazed at the huge anti WC brigade posting comments and how "crap" it is and why we dont win mma tornaments etc etc.

what gives?

matsu

It is because Wing Tsun / Wing Chun is unique and our methods are alien to most other martial arts .
People have a tendency to try and degrade and belittle that which they do not understand and feel threatened by .

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

what gives?

matsu

Probably just a phase... kinda like Ford lovers and Chevy Lovers and GMC lovers... if you drive one the others are crap. Some are getting hyped to the extreme watching MMA fights on TV (because that's all there is to see) and think it's da bomb! It's an azzkicker, it'll mess you up!
While MMA is a good art it's not the end all of MA and we all know that. We, real MA-ist that is.
Ignore the morons and idiots that don't know better.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kickboxing guy was scared, once bitten twice shy by the looks of it.

I agree it showed some good use of stopping kicks coming.

I also think the WC guy had his hands low as he was never under any pressure.

WC getting bashed??

Always does as WC'rs dont enter comps etc etc and also there have been some pretty bad publicity surrounding WC over the years.

Doesnt bother me and i wont rise to WC bashing, as was said, some fear what they do not know.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kickboxing??? Finally, something I have experience with! LOL I would say the kickboxer was not all that experienced with contact. Towards the end of the video, he was snapping out better kicks but still was scared to death of getting hit and clammed up when he did get hit. I am too new to judge how good the WC/WT guy is, but he was good enough to keep the kickboxer at bay and jam him at every attack. I still would like to see him against a higher level kickboxer or thai guy.

Have you guys ever seen what the Russian Chunner's are doing?

The problem is that when Wing Chun/Tsun is sportorized, it loses a great deal of the art by limiting the weapons, so one has to compensate. Eyes, throat, and groin are off limits, even though they make up the primary targets in WC/WT. You can still punch, knee, and elbow (with limitations on the ground and where you are targeting). IMHO, that is the main reason you don't and will not ever see a pure Chunner in MMA, nor will we see the potential of the art with so many rules.

I come from a karate and kickboxing background and see many places Wing Chun/Tsun fills in the blind spots, offensively and defensively. I have logged many many hard rounds sparring and have used it in a couple barfights only to find that outside of the ring and without boxing gloves, the defensive side of kickboxing sucks! The offensive techniques are still great and work very well. Wing Chun/Tsun really fills in the gaps with centerline theory, simultaneous attack/defend, and unorthodox footwork that when perfected is awesome. Then there is the sensitivity aspect that WC/WT has at the heart of it's curriculum. Yeah, boxing, BJJ, MMA, and other contact sports have it to a small degree, but Wing Chun/Tsun wrote the book on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those Russian Wing Chun videos Dungeonworks . Hats off to them , for training hard but they are lacking in the basics , it looks like they got guys who have only trained for a couple of weeks and told them to put the gear on and go for it .

Their punches are all over the place , when they contact with the partners arms they don't seem to go forward and stick , which makes me think that they haven't done chi sao yet or are very new to it.

They also seem to be very off balance a lot of the time which could be because they don't keep there backs straight and stay sunk down , in a reputable school it will be drilled into you a million times to keep your back straight and never bend it , even if someone is hanging off your neck .

Most of the times it went to the ground was because one guy wasn't controlling the centerline and the other guy was able to get an arm through and capture his neck .

That is what tends to happen when there is not a gradual progression into sparring , but instead thrown in at the deep end when certain things are still not second nature to you yet and you aren't adhereing to basic concepts .

I do commend them for the alive manner in which they train , but they need serious drilling in several very important key basics before they even go near putting the gear on and sparring like that .

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Interesting note that is seldom talked about has been touched on by dungeonworks.

The defense in Wing Chun is primary focus of training.

Do not overextend your strikes, keep complete control of your body, maintain maximum body structure. Strike from situations of advantage and low risk.

Creating these walls of defense, my students have staved off competitive grappler's attempts (college medalists and a champion) to take them down, and controlled their space effectively, with relatively little training (one, less than 6 months, another less than a year). Others have avoided successfully rabid attempts to separate their heads from their shoulders with punches from enraged attacks.

They were almost exclusively outweighed. Sometimes by a lot.

And these were not sprawl techniques, these were using structure and mechanisms to control your space.

And stalling a fight in MMA and competition is grounds for disqualification. In Wing Chun, a viable strategy is that you control your space so that you fight in the most favorable conditions for you. That way you can get advantage over more athletically gifted attackers.

Also, legally it becomes clear that you are not the aggressor, which can become important in a legal battle.

Yet, when it comes time for you to unleash an Eternal Springbeating upon the attackers' structure, you'll have all the tools you need and it'll be and Eternal Spring cleaning of the smelly trash.

The offensive arsenal of Wing Chun is very versatile and effective.

Though it does take a qualified teacher to train it and extract it from the system.

Hope this helps.

Juan M. Mercado

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thank you proffessor.
those words were truly inspirational.

it is something i will save and read and re-read again.trying to use it everyday.
matsu

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to print that out and put it on the wall of my training room if thats ok with you Prof??

Any other things i can put up to give me inspiration when i walk in or during training?

I am lucky enough to have a small chalet (posh shed;-)) in my garden which is mostly for me to use as a gym/WC training room. Still in progress of kitting it out.

Sorry for going a bit off topic guys...

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to print that out and put it on the wall of my training room if thats ok with you Prof??

Any other things i can put up to give me inspiration when i walk in or during training?

I am lucky enough to have a small chalet (posh shed;-)) in my garden which is mostly for me to use as a gym/WC training room. Still in progress of kitting it out.

Sorry for going a bit off topic guys...
Chalet lol , where do you live mate ? In the swiss alps :)
On a serious note do you have a big mirror in that posh shed of yours to practice in front of , they really help a lot in terms of making sure the various arm positions , stance etc are all nice and correct .
As one of my old instructors always used to say " The mirror doesn't lie ".

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been out this afternoon pricing some up, when i was taught back in the day we practiced in a dance studio at a leisure complex...wall full of mirrors.

Perfect for showing up my many mistakes before sifu came over and gave me push up to do for being lazy during SLT. :)

Its a pretty small area really but better than my living room...the Mrs would get fed up of me sweating everywhere..i am not international slimmer of year, lets put it that way.

When i have finished sorting it i will take a piccy and post it up...i will NOT be in said picture mind you.

Swiss alps?? i wish. Bloody Channel Islands with no Wing Chun school. I am very fortunate to have a freind who is very talented and is willing to train me once a week. He was recently with Kevin Chan brushing up his own techniques, i am hoping some of which will rub off on me.

I hope when i have got better (back wise and WC wise) to visit Kevin with my mate and do some private lessons as we cant get over to the UK often. Dont know how long that will be but i am sure i will benefit massivley from spending any time with him. Time will tell and hope my back holds up this time.

Meanwhile i must get fitter and learn to relax, which i find very difficult...relaxing i mean.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

You can print out as you wish.

I hope your back discomforts heal quickly.

Something interesting.

One of my students got a chameleon for his house, just cause he's never had one, and he likes interesting creatures. I think also they were on sale...

But that is not the important thing.

He told me that as he observed the chameleon, he noticed it moved slowly and very precisely...

just like I told him to train the exercises so he could be more precise, accurate and pay more attention to detail...

then he could accelerate the movements into a working, functional state, while retaining the effectiveness and structure.

Also, if the movements weren't relaxed and fluid, he would certainly look like a robot... or just really constipated...

Maxpayne.PNG

Both things you wouldn't want... except if you want to look funny! :)

Another thing about movement.

Even if it is not in a straight line, if it is the most efficient and effective use of movement, it is still within what we call "economy of motion"... which I would more accurately rename "optimization of movement".

Here's what I mean.

Even if you move in a straight line, it may not be very powerful or appropriate.

"Economy of motion" is about using the least amount of movement to arrive to the desired effect. Sometimes it is a straight line, sometimes it is not.

This is a Taoist principle that is one of the foundations of Wing Chun training.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions