Why underwear?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird I know, but I'm honestly curious.

Why do we wear underwear? What is the purpose?

If it's support, why boxers?

If it's 'protection', why thongs?

I deal with a number of costumers, and do some myself. I can almost always find a pattern for a toga, or jerkin...but haven't come across any Roman skivies yet. Is it true that Scots wear nothing under their kilts?

Are modern underwear just the most recent evolution of a loin cloth?

:confused:

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was doing a Security walk through at a Adult club (that's what they called it ) and they were looking at new dancers for later that evening. One girl looked like a hillblly countery girl, during her audition she danced and stripped off her shorts to reveal women's underware not a G string. the manager said no way you want to get us written up. I asked what the difference was, he said a G string is part of a costume, underware is something you wear all day it is a health issue.

So maybe you could say it's a sanitary issue, for the front any way.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you 'exactly' why, or the accurate historical evolution of the undies, but here is my spin on it.

Undies protect clothing AND are intended to reduce the 'unseemly bulge/pocking' of private parts in a post Victorian age of propriety.

Now, these two basic motives for the skivvie have and will continue to be challenged by 'fashion' or other goals.

Thongs, in part, reduce the unseemly panty lines that take away from the way clothing hangs when you are fashion conscious (and it doesn't do a bad job of 'accentuating the positive' of the wearer I might add).

A common practice in the movies was that actors/actresses wore NO undies for certian shots because the lines would take away from the artisitic impression or 'ruin the line' of the costuming/characterization.

In winter time/colder weather, I notice that is also a layer of insulation....

I an talking out my ashhh(PUN!) here so take it with a grain of salt (because sand is irritating and leaves rashes.....).

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Ok, this is weird I know, but I'm honestly curious.

Why do we wear underwear? What is the purpose?

If it's support, why boxers?

If it's 'protection', why thongs?

I deal with a number of costumers, and do some myself. I can almost always find a pattern for a toga, or jerkin...but haven't come across any Roman skivies yet. Is it true that Scots wear nothing under their kilts?

Are modern underwear just the most recent evolution of a loin cloth?

:confused:

Not sure if I can speak for the majority, but I use Boxer Briefs for support, especially while training. Keeps the twig and berries exactly where they're supposed to be. :D

And it's true... which reminds me, you know a good Kilt maker that doesn't charge 500 bucks plus for a decent grand (or great depending on who you talk to) kilt? You know, the whole 9 yards kind. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My GF's been looking for a good and affordable kilt maker for a few years. I'd say try your local ren faires.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always thought Underwerar was designed to prtect your cloths. You got the underpants dirty and not your britchs, Not as much washing in days past. also to prevent chaffing

Todd

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I always thought Underwerar was designed to prtect your cloths. You got the underpants dirty and not your britchs, Not as much washing in days past. also to prevent chaffing

Todd
Chaffing:

Walked the final 20 mile road march in boot camp behind a guy who REFUSED to wear underwear because he thought it would help 'ventilate' his nethers in the N.Carolina heat and prevent jock itch....

By the time we finished the road march he had chaffed and bled through his Cammie pants down to mid thigh from chaffing against the seams in the pants/gusset area....

VERY ugly.

R

raedyn

And for women, underwear can serve other practical purposes that men get all squeamish if we talk about.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Chaffing:

Walked the final 20 mile road march in boot camp behind a guy who REFUSED to wear underwear because he thought it would help 'ventilate' his nethers in the N.Carolina heat and prevent jock itch....

By the time we finished the road march he had chaffed and bled through his Cammie pants down to mid thigh from chaffing against the seams in the pants/gusset area....

VERY ugly.
Man
That is not a pleasant thought, I'm never ever aain going rock star-Just in Case I wind up walking home
Todd

D

Deuce

I think underwear for men may be a safety issue. I know I always make sure my gotch are all the way up before I do up my fly. Without that extra protection, little Deuce may get injured:erg:.

As far as the kilt question goes, when I was in army cadets, the highlander kids wore kilts as their regimental dress. If they were caught wearing underwear under their kilts, they were ripped off and stapeled to the wall.

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Chaffing:

VERY ugly.
From my own experiences and those of friends and associates, I can say that not everyone who goes "commando" comes down with that affliction.

R

rmcrobertson

To be sung to the tune of some calypso:

"Underwear, underwear
Don't go out without your un-der-wear
The world is scary,
So don't you dare
Go out without your
Un-der-wear."

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with going commando, one less article of clothing for your piercing to snag on... :eek:

Jeff

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
davidg553 said:
From my own experiences and those of friends and associates, I can say that not everyone who goes "commando" comes down with that affliction.
Heat, humidity, already existing condition that was on the mend....

S

Spud

I believe my retired Marine friend told me that going commando was often the preferred dress during their tours in Beirut.

Adjusting back to boxers was odd.

Perhaps I better get back to work if this is the most productive thing I'm working on....

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spud said:
I believe my retired Marine friend told me that going commando was often the preferred dress during their tours in Beirut.

Adjusting back to boxers was odd.

Perhaps I better get back to work if this is the most productive thing I'm working on....
I wasn't ever in the sand box but I did do time in 29 palms and can concur that commando/boxers was easier on ventilation in the dry heat.

Never tried it in the humid heat of N. Carolina or Okinawa though.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I don't know about you guys, but I feel totally naked without my leapard thong and pasties... :roflmao:

Oh, so you kept the part time job even after you paid for the wedding......addictions are a scary thing.

R

raedyn

Tulisan - you and Flatlander can start a club.

(I wondered how long before the thread went there.)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
raedyn said:
Tulisan - you and Flatlander can start a club.

(I wondered how long before the thread went there.)
Well it'll be a club devoid of MY lovely presence that's for sure :lol:

Latest Discussions