Why Ninjustu?

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't take Ninjustsu (i'm a goju ryu karate guy)
and I was wondering what made you guys take Ninjutsu?
What made you pick this style over any other?

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would imagine its the same for most people who take martial arts long term..this one 'fitted', made sense to me.

I first started MA when i was 11, judo at school but quickly lost interest.
This pattern carried on untill i was 18/19 then i had my first lesson in Bujinkan. Its just clicked for me. I carried on for four years untill college and women got in the way. About two years later i retruned the club had folded, i spent the next few years jumping from MA to MA untill in 2000 i found another Bujinkan Dojo and been there ever since.

I feel its great asset is its not 'fixed' and its wide variety, i get bored real easy and its doubtul i'll ever learn everything but i do learn something new every week.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, lets be totally honoust.....

I started to have attention for ninjutsu after seeing a lot of great ninja movies, i think i have seen them all in the past.

By coincedence I saw in a magazine an article of a ninjutsu trainer who was teaching ninjutsu in the netherlands. So i really wanted to go and i was expecting something very spectacular. Instead of that, I met truly wonderfull people and my teacher showed me and the rest amazing skills.

His carisma was very wise and although i was disappointed( i expected a movie skill and so on) i stayed to train the weeks after. That was the best decission in my whole life. I trained long after but had to stop because of some changing in life after a while.
In those Ninjutsu days I learned a total different way of living which I will never forget and which is haunting me ever since.

And now I am ready to start again. Life has made a change again. :)
(see meet and greet warm regards from germany/netherlands)

Best wishes
Barbara

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
After trying a few (5 or 6) different arts and not finding one that seemed to "fit" I had about given up looking for one that delivered what I thought it should. I also started in Judo as a kid, but a family move put us into an area that had zero training around so I took an extended leave from the MA's. After moving to Southern Michigan inthe Battle Creek area I tried a couple of different schools and styles but none grabbed me, and a couple were just horrible experences (which I will not discuss which schools they were, before anyone even asks.) Another move brought me to Northern Maine and I walked into the Bujinkan dojo in Presque Isle, ME out of pure curiosity. I would have signed up that night, but the instructor told me to come to classes for a couple of weeks, then sign up if I still wanted to. I did! There have been a few changes, but the overall feel is still there and the love for the art itself has never lagged, even through a long absence due to marriage, kids, and job changes. I am back training now and look forward to a long time left in the art.

I didn't grow up in the front pew of a church so I was a bit rough around the edges you might say. The art offered everything I wanted on the "Martial" side, and what I was looking for as well on the "Art" side. Punches, Kicks, Ground work, Throws, Locks, Weapon work (6', 4' and 3' staff; knife; sword; chain; etc...) Absolutly everything I could think of needing to know, as well as being not flowery/large movements that I just am not cut-out to do. In essence, it just felt like it was tailor made for the way I thought and moved already.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is gonna sound like the guys above me but yeah...

Did some TaeKwondo when I was 16, and it turned me off to the arts... but I played around a little with a guy when I was 18 who was doing some Kyokushinkai and It made me wanna try again, so I started taking Hapkido... did that for a couple years, but again... it turned me off a bit... so I started looking around... did some BJJ, some time at a different Hapkido school... and quit again. A while later I found a Shadows of Iga school, and went for an intro course and thought it had promise, and someone I was talking to about the school introduced me to a friend of hers who taught "karate", which turned out when I talked to him was Bujinkan, not karate... he invited me to a class, I went and trained and I was hooked.

Of course... I like to tell people its because I wanted to be a Jedi. :D

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oni Kudaki.

A friend dragged me to a training session after months of prodding. I was impressed the first time I saw the students move. I was hooked after we did some Oni Kudaki.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was just browsing for some activity and after i've checked some sports i got into martial arts.
I got along the various options quite fast because i thought it wasn't something for me.
Until i got to the bujinkan.
No idea what it started but for a few weeks i was just busy getting info of the web and so ;)
After a few weeks i was invited so a summer course and i just tried.

I was so amazed by what i've seen that i just kept going to "get some answers"... :D
A couple of years later there are just more questionmarks coming instead of answers and i just don't care... i just love it :)

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was always fascinated by the ninja and I thought that it would be neat to learn the skills and traditions that they use. I could never find a ninjutsu school, but I met somebody who had years of training in the H2H style who had temporarily moved to the area. I got together with him and trained one on one with him. The style fit like a glove and I have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately, he moved away and now I have noone to learn the style from or to work out with. I still practice the basics, though. Somebody recommended the bujinkai home study course to me, but I don't know about taking that route. All in all, my fascination with the whole ninja style/culture or whatever you want to call it, is why I chose ninjutsu.

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well to i think it had to do with it's philosophy. Conceal youreself rather than become a target. My father was kind of mad from the war and he had always a firearm with him at al times. I guess that i just hide in the house so not to get shot. When i was in 8th grade i liked to read a lot. I practicaly live in the library. I came across this book title "The mystic arts or the ninja" wich had a section on camouflage and concealment. I got hook. After a couple of months i was climbing, hiding feeling more safe from my father who was way mad. Then when i went to colege i started bying all books by Mr. Hayes couse the techniques really work for me. Finally i found this guy who agree to teach to a small group of six.

Mistermista

White Belt
Reaction score
Oni Kudaki.

A friend dragged me to a training session after months of prodding. I was impressed the first time I saw the students move. I was hooked after we did some Oni Kudaki.

I gotta tell you thats exactly how it happened for me. Now I get my kicks from Musha Dori though.

Latest Discussions