Hatsumi's ultimate test?

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard rumours around that for one of the dan tests at the Bujinkan the student must avoid being sliced with a sword from behind. I was told Hatsumi cuts down with lethal intent, and your supposed to be able sense that intent and move out of the way. Have I been mislead? Or is this for real? And if it is, how do they deal with the situation if someone gets cut? Thanks in advance.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
not done with a sword (anymore??). do a search for sakki test.
ive found some fun videos of it, people passing and people being well bonked on the head with a wooden bonker.
it is for the 5th Dan test.

Jim

ninpo101

White Belt
Reaction score
actually my sensei who has trained directly under hatsumi has had this test
given to him. But as some people have been mislead to believe hatsumi
does not use a real sword but a bokken (wooden sword) instead. Although he does strike down with critical intent and if you do not dodge you might just need a few stitches or have a bruise for awhile. but this test is actually given to people trying to acquire 3rd dan i think.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually my sensei who has trained directly under hatsumi has had this test
given to him. But as some people have been mislead to believe hatsumi
does not use a real sword but a bokken (wooden sword) instead. Although he does strike down with critical intent and if you do not dodge you might just need a few stitches or have a bruise for awhile. but this test is actually given to people trying to acquire 3rd dan i think.
It's not a bokken, it's a fukuro shinai, and the test is for 5th dan.

Latest Discussions