Yahoo: Almeida chokes out Brown at UFC 111

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
03-27-2010 09:23 PM:Ricardo Almeida showed off his BJJ black belt skills with a rear naked choke win over Matt Brown at 3:30 of the second round at the Prudential Center in New Jersey.

Almeida clearly wanted the game on the ground and spent most of the first round working to get Matt Brown down. Almeida started the fight with a takedown attempt, and pushed Brown into the cage. Once he finally got Brown to the canvas, the fighters quickly returned to their feet, and after a few punches, Almeida went for another takedown.

At the start of the second, Almeida was successful in a quick double-leg takedown. Brown scooted to the cage and used it to help him get back to his feet. When Brown tried to throw a kick, Almeida caught it and took Brown to the ground. After an Almeida elbow, Brown began to bleed. While on the ground, Almeida moved to perfect position and sunk in a rear naked choke. Brown had no choice but to tap.

"This is my house, my home, and I wasn't going to let him beat me here," Almeida said after the fight. He lives in New Jersey and has a BJJ academy in the Garden State.

This was Almeida's first fight at welterweight and his first bout back since August of 2009. Brown suffered his first Octagon loss since September of 2008.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.