Why do school websites...

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
... hardly ever list fees for classes?

Is it a worry that someone will see it, and hold them to it if they haven't updated it? Or is it that some schools will charge based on a student's situation, etc., and they can't really nail a particular fee down?

I'm just curious. It's very rare to find a site that lists tuition.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
from my experience they want you to come in first and see them before they scare you off with the tuition and other fee's...lol

Honestly to not scare off potential students. They dont put it on there unless they are really confident that people will come b/c of their reputation and what not.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Maybe it isn't all about the fees, but the art and training.

Good point! I can see that reasoning. Unfortunately, with a budget as tight as mine, that kind of info is useful to be able to continue researching schools that I can... as sad as it sounds... afford.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
school # 1 - $25/mo
School # 2 - $95/mo
school #3 - call for info

So, where is the training the best?

Alot of people price shop. They see what looks like a high price, and start looking for the lowest rate they can. The guy with the higher rates, loses out on a chance to talk to a person, invite them down for a look around, explain all the perks, etc.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Maybe it isn't all about the fees, but the art and training.

MA is a business, so as much as we can say it isnt about fee's, then most would post it. Being that it is a business and you want to get students in to see people and meet someone you keep it off the website. Especially if your art is available anywhere in town, you dont want to mess around and charge higher than your competitors without getting a perspective student in first. It's all business.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Good point! I can see that reasoning. Unfortunately, with a budget as tight as mine, that kind of info is useful to be able to continue researching schools that I can... as sad as it sounds... afford.

I understand. It depends on the school. Some don't have a published amount. I mean, they have a standard amount, but if someone really can't do that, they will work with them. Just my take on it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
MA is a business, so as much as we can say it isnt about fee's, then most would post it. Being that it is a business and you want to get students in to see people and meet someone you keep it off the website. Especially if your art is available anywhere in town, you dont want to mess around and charge higher than your competitors without getting a perspective student in first. It's all business.

Yes, for many, martial arts is a business. With that in mind, it makes good business sense. No doubt.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
... hardly ever list fees for classes?

Is it a worry that someone will see it, and hold them to it if they haven't updated it? Or is it that some schools will charge based on a student's situation, etc., and they can't really nail a particular fee down?

I'm just curious. It's very rare to find a site that lists tuition.

the want to give as little information as possible. the goal is to bring you to the school at least once, and that's where they tell you all the surprises including the price.
besides, why say class costs 300 bucks a month when you are willing to accept negotiation?
those who cannot afford 300 bucks will not even think about your school because they will think it's not negotiable.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Bob said, plus it is a way to get contact.

Most calls a school gets are basically "Hi, how much do you charge?"

A good sales person would hopefully be able to turn this into a scheduled appointment to come in, maybe try a class and get a name and phone number from the caller.

Howver, many school owners aren't great sales people, I definately put myself on the list of poor telephone sales people ;)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marketing 101... Make them call or come in for pricing. This allows the staff to adequately answer questions, offer different pricing plans and best explain why their fees maybe higher.

School #1 may be the cheapest, but only allows training 2X a week.
School #2 may be more expensive, but offers unlimited training.

A consumer may shy away from the higher price because it is human nature to save money. At this point they do not know about the different levels of schools, styles, training methods and over quality. I think an educated consumer can see most of these things once they visit a few schools.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the simple reason price does not dictate experience and quality.
you have to go see if they are right for and vise versa.
Terry

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
For the simple reason price does not dictate experience and quality.
you have to go see if they are right for and vise versa.
Terry
you teach in a school right?
what's your school's website btw?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Marketing 101... Make them call or come in for pricing. This allows the staff to adequately answer questions, offer different pricing plans and best explain why their fees maybe higher.

School #1 may be the cheapest, but only allows training 2X a week.
School #2 may be more expensive, but offers unlimited training.

A consumer may shy away from the higher price because it is human nature to save money. At this point they do not know about the different levels of schools, styles, training methods and over quality. I think an educated consumer can see most of these things once they visit a few schools.

I agree...although, that $99 summer special that my school ran last year was a big motivation to pick up the phone ;)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I agree...although, that $99 summer special that my school ran last year was a big motivation to pick up the phone ;)

ah.. that's true.
i think this is why my school has a free-month offer expiring everyday on their website (the deadline changes everyday) and that's how i contacted them too!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I look at it as I want the prospective client / student to call or stop in and talk to me. Sometimes fees scare prospects away because they do not fully understand what they are getting.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:

Oh yeah, Specials definitley help! :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've ran into several people who do websites for their schools - prices can vary depending upon what the student wants to learn and how often they wish to train. Some instructors I know will teach people with financial difficulty and take out their fees in traded services. Some teachers will teach LEOs but teach them differently and their fee might be different to reflect such.

Just what I've heard over coffee....

Latest Discussions