Why did you guys take up Wing Chun?

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
Bruce Lee. I found out that his foundation art was Wing Chun so I felt in order to understand JKD, I'd have to understand it's foundation art. I began my W.C. training later in life at the age of 32, in '92. Needless to say, I'm not in JKD but still learning and exploring W.C. An outstanding journey that I pray will last a lifetime.
Peace,
BFL

titoisme

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm totally new to WC training. I'm 37 years old and not very tall, pretty powerful build though, but pretty short reach arm and legwise. I researched which style of martial art would be most practical for a 5'3 guy and I kept coming up with WC. I also came upon this show on Saturday mornings on my local cable access channel called Grados Street Combat where the sifu would apply Wing Chun forms to everyday practical situations. Unfortunately, I think it's been canceled or something. I spoke to a friend who does NPM and he corroborated my research and said WC was definitely the way to go. So I looked around discovered a Ving Tsung school operating not too far from me in Brooklyn, I spoke to Sifu and he invited me to come in. I've been in the class for just about a month and I love the interactivity and spacial awareness you get from the drills. I'm definitely hooked now and will try to document my progress on these forums.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been in the MAs since I was 13, I am 40 now. In my quest of finding a style that could be practiced into the later years, I looked into WC and was most impressed that WC is one of the few striking arts that I saw (outside of Boxing, MT) that actually could use what it practiced in fighting.

I did Shorin Ryu for many years (among other things), this is no ding on the style but after so much kata, 1 step and individual technique practice moving up and down the Dojo floor, when it came to sparing everyone always came out looking like sloppy kickboxers. I never could get all those blocks to work in sparing, the best I could manage was to cover or parry.

I've been doing WC for a year now and upon sparing my old Karate and Kickboxing (PKA rules) friends the result have been somewhat eye-opening. I am a much better in-fighter (an area I've always sucked at), my reflexes have improved (and they scoff at chi sao :shrug:) and instead of covering and countering I'm more prone to arresting my opponent's attacks by angling and trapping.

Also, WC shapes actually come out (of nowhere) while sparing, e.g. I can actually use a tan sao, bong sao, jum, jut, etc.

I'm not saying WC is the be-all-end-all, but it really seems to be coming together for me better than before. I believe many of the attributes of WC exist in other arts, but seldom do they seem to be the focal point to the extent they are in WC. I'm often told that WC isn't about the technique but the attributes. I wish I had started this sooner.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in the MAs since I was 13, I am 40 now. In my quest of finding a style that could be practiced into the later years, I looked into WC and was most impressed that WC is one of the few striking arts that I saw (outside of Boxing, MT) that actually could use what it practiced in fighting.

I did Shorin Ryu for many years (among other things), this is no ding on the style but after so much kata, 1 step and individual technique practice moving up and down the Dojo floor, when it came to sparing everyone always came out looking like sloppy kickboxers. I never could get all those blocks to work in sparing, the best I could manage was to cover or parry.

I've been doing WC for a year now and upon sparing my old Karate and Kickboxing (PKA rules) friends the result have been somewhat eye-opening. I am a much better in-fighter (an area I've always sucked at), my reflexes have improved (and they scoff at chi sao :shrug:) and instead of covering and countering I'm more prone to arresting my opponent's attacks by angling and trapping.

Also, WC shapes actually come out (of nowhere) while sparing, e.g. I can actually use a tan sao, bong sao, jum, jut, etc.

I'm not saying WC is the be-all-end-all, but it really seems to be coming together for me better than before. I believe many of the attributes of WC exist in other arts, but seldom do they seem to be the focal point to the extent they are in WC. I'm often told that WC isn't about the technique but the attributes. I wish I had started this sooner.

That is awesome that you are making it work for you. I have trained some Wing Chun way back in the day and definately came away favorably impressed with it's directness.

bigbadade

White Belt
Reaction score
WIng CHun. At first I thought it was no good, then I started to think about the techniques and practice with a unknown (to me) master. He really opened the door to me, and since then never looked back.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
The shortest distance between two points,rapid fire chain punching,re-routing on coming attacks,springy power,45 deg.soft, yet not weak power.( hard/soft drills of course) more area covered by fist,sensitivity training (eventually on a subconscious level) What else?

retsaM

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was 18 (back in the mid 80s) and starting my career as a DJ in some seedy clubs I saw lots of fighting in the clubs and on the streets. The bouncers were mainly Zen Do Kai (spelling?, a combination of Karate and kickboxing). Many of the bouncers would demolish ne1 who stepped out of line. I had no idea how 2 fight and thought the only way i would b safe in the clubs is if i became friendly with some of the senior bouncers, as it turned out i did, 1 of them even offered 2 train me. I didn't accept as most of his students were almost twice my size. I met another DJ who trained Wing Chun and seemed 2 have the respect of many of the bouncers although he was much smaller and didn't seem 2 b agressive @ all. Luckily we became good friends and i became a casual private student of his, when he could spare the time. I was hooked on Wing Chun and loved it. A year or so later i jumped in2 help 1 of the senior bouncers who had been jumped by 4 thugs, 1 with a weapon. I managed 2 do enuff 2 help him get control of the situation and also gained some respect. At that point i knew Wing Chun was 4 me. I've helped out on many occasions in various clubs and it's funny 2 c the reactions from guys when they find out the DJ threw them out. lol I don't jump in much nemore, 2 old.

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i had had a break in studying mas for about 5 years and wanted to improve my in fighting skills which were not great, after doing some research decided to give wc a try and have been hooked on it for the last year and look forward to each lesson with enthusiasm.