Who's Who In Kosho Ryu

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Howdy Marlon,

I do not know much about this topic or who might have done the demo. but I have seen and competed against Sifu Tim Bowles (Tony Bowles son?) and he was AWESOME. He and Rodney Alo (Related to Ron Alo I think) were always the guys to beat in the "Kenpo" or "Kenpo / Polynesian" forms divisions.

I know this is pretty far from the thread topic but I was motivated thinking about Sifu Tim's forms.

Jamey

Probably the 2 best forms competitors in Kosho Ryu are Tim Bowles and Bill Tolentino. Tim's a captain in the USMC and was in Okinawa, last I heard. Bill's in No. Cal.
Rodney Alo is a Kajukenbo stylist, under Allen Abad. The late Ron Alo was his father.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Sigung for the clarification. I knew Rodney Alo Sensei was Kaju since he would do what I consider a "hard-style" form, win, then go change into his Kung-Fu uniform and do a soft style form and win that also- :)

I knew I was in trouble when I was coming up through the ranks and they were winning in BB divisions until one day I ended up in the same division...

Kara-Ho has a few individuals in the mid-west that are outstanding in forms competitions but locally we don't get out to tournaments very often. (My excuse anyway)

See ya-
Jamey

OP
M

mitose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Probably the 2 best forms competitors in Kosho Ryu are Tim Bowles and Bill Tolentino. Tim's a captain in the USMC and was in Okinawa, last I heard. Bill's in No. Cal.
Rodney Alo is a Kajukenbo stylist, under Allen Abad. The late Ron Alo was his father.
It was Ken Torres aka Mark Mitose's little brother from another mother lol.
He's one of the best we have out there,though retired he often still enters
He won over in Spain last year.Tim is back down south showing his badass skyline R34 which I hope to take a ride in soon and Bill is still teaching and having fun being a grandpa

curious1

White Belt
Reaction score
I would like to thank my big brother Mark for thinking so highly of me. I really do believe anyone who really understands what a form/Kata is for; can project the focus and intensity that others will notice. Practicing a Kata excuse my French; half ***, will only be cheating them out of the benefits of its whole intension. Put your heart into it. Understand all the intricate moves and techniques and what they are meant for.
Marlon it was my honor meeting you, just working with you on techniques I can feel the strength and responsiveness that you posses, and thank you for your kind words.

(Just to set the record straight. Mark really isn't my brother inside joke)

7 down 8 up

Ken Torres

Attitude

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what he ended up being. He was left in charge of the Official Self Defense Club when Mitose left Hawaii, so he was the ranking Kosho guy there. I am not sure Wally Jay has any ranking in Kosho Ryu, but his connection with John Chow Hoon and Okazaki places him in a category that Juchnik apparently thought important.

Perhaps "signed off on" was not the right phrase. How about "recognized?"

Relevant and Motivational Links for those searching:

Discussion between Nimr Hassan (Terry Lee) and Bruce Juchnick

Kosho Ryu Timeline
Genshichi Kosho - 19th descendant Headmaster and Inheritor of Kosho Ryu

Professor Scott Merrill, student of Professor John Chow-Hoon

Page 2133 of the translation of Mitose's Trial
"I learned Kempo in a large temple in a mountain named Akenkai." -- Note the translation 'Akenkai'

mitosetrial4 akenkai.JPG

Mt Kinkai
Mt. Kinkai, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan

Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region
Hidden Christian sites in the Nagasaki Region

Introduction to the Hidden Christian | Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region
Introduction to the Hidden Christian "Kakure Kirishitan"

History of Christianity in Japan
Christians in Kyushu: A History

Kosho Ryu Kempo - Take Over the World
Motivational reminder of the purpose behind the arts.

Attitude

White Belt
Reaction score
Relevant and Motivational Links for those searching:

Discussion between Nimr Hassan (Terry Lee) and Bruce Juchnick

Kosho Ryu Timeline
Genshichi Kosho - 19th descendant Headmaster and Inheritor of Kosho Ryu

Professor Scott Merrill, student of Professor John Chow-Hoon

Page 2133 of the translation of Mitose's Trial
"I learned Kempo in a large temple in a mountain named Akenkai." -- Note the translation 'Akenkai'

View attachment 22158

Mt Kinkai
Mt. Kinkai, Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan

Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region
Hidden Christian sites in the Nagasaki Region

Introduction to the Hidden Christian | Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region
Introduction to the Hidden Christian "Kakure Kirishitan"

History of Christianity in Japan
Christians in Kyushu: A History

Kosho Ryu Kempo - Take Over the World
Motivational reminder of the purpose behind the arts.