who's religious?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
You might want to do some more research before making that claim, Loki. ;)

Hence the disclaimer and the assumption, not claim. Feel free to elaborate.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Also, God and Christ are not supposed to, by their own religion, be deified.
That sentance is way over my ability to understand.

"Deified" : Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French deifier, from Late Latin deificare, from Latin deus god + -ficare -fy
1 a : to make a god of b : to take as an object of worship
2 : to glorify as of supreme worth {Merriam-Webster}

How can a god or God not be deified?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
That sentance is way over my ability to understand.

"Deified" : Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French deifier, from Late Latin deificare, from Latin deus god + -ficare -fy
1 a : to make a god of b : to take as an object of worship
2 : to glorify as of supreme worth {Merriam-Webster}

How can a god or God not be deified?

If memory serves, adherant of the Abrahamic faiths are not supposed to worship representation of god. Something denouncing idolatry. . .I could go look it up.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As an adherent to *one of the Abrahamic faiths*, I will tell you that you are absolutely correct. [See the story of the golden calf.] Hence the reason that we do not have saints nor are there any 'graven images' permitted in our houses of worship.

As to who is religious. My take on this is purely my own, arrived at after many years of seeing what we, as humans, do to one another, and what 'natural' disasters do to us. One's relationship with any higher power he or she chooses to believe in the existence of is really not subject to rational explanation (Again -- my opinion. You are entitled to your own.) One may have a relationship with said higher power (or deity, your choice) without attending a house of worship, belonging to an organized (ack!) religion, or even naming what their belief is (i.e., Christian, Buddhist, etc.) My interpretation speaks more to Herrie's definition of spiritual, I think, and, therefore, I guess I can say I believe a spiritual person is, in a sense, religious, because he or she believes in certain tenets as set forward in most all of the extant major belief systems.

Herrie, I think sometimes you make MY head hurt but in a good way -- it's called *deep thought*:). Always a pleasure. KT

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Herrie, I think sometimes you make MY head hurt but in a good way -- it's called *deep thought*:). Always a pleasure. KT

:asian: :asian: :asian:

Latest Discussions