Who likes coffee???

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a very good grinder, so that I can support all of the various kinds of machines I use. On my counter are the four machines I use the most. A bunn drip machine that I use on weekend mornings when I want more than one cup. I have a nespresso, capsule machine that makes a killer americano. The capsules are spendy, so I don't use it very often. My baby is a La Pavoni lever espresso machine that I use a few times per week when I want a really good cappucinno. I also use what's called a vacuum press (or sometimes called a vacuum siphon) machine. Those are my four "go to" machines. I also have several bialetti style, stove top espresso machines, a percolator, a french press, a few oddball, coffee brewing gadgets and several antiques that mostly just look pretty.

To Steve and anyone else who might offer some assistance -

I use a single cup drip. (pour the water over the coffee) It's all I've ever really used. So I know nothing of coffee pots, machines etc. How much of a difference is there with the various machines? There's gotta' be some difference, right? I can't see how everything could taste exactly the same.

Do you guys notice a difference with the same bag of coffee if you make it in different things?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is what we need right here. Then, if you're a dunker, you can do a whole cake.

epf80z.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To Steve and anyone else who might offer some assistance -

I use a single cup drip. (pour the water over the coffee) It's all I've ever really used. So I know nothing of coffee pots, machines etc. How much of a difference is there with the various machines? There's gotta' be some difference, right? I can't see how everything could taste exactly the same.

Do you guys notice a difference with the same bag of coffee if you make it in different things?

It would depend on individual taste. I have a single drip, a Keurig, and a french press and I do not notice much difference between the Mr Coffee and the Keurig, but the French Press, is (IMO) by far, a better cup of coffee. The only draw back I can see, for me, and a french press, is you need to transfer the coffee to a thermos to keep it warm and prevent it from getting incredibly strong.

But then I use to drink the coffee of a friend of mines so I am not sure why I care if it gets to strong. He was an ex-marine and Vietnam vet and his idea of a god cup of coffee was to make a full pot, 12 cups in a Mr Coffee, and then let it boil down to around 4 to 6 cups before you drink it...... now that was some strong coffee

But before you listen to what I say, you should know...I had no coffee this morning... I had Pu Erh tea :D

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1zf6jvq.jpg

5egy7k.jpg

I visited some friends in Hawaii in March. Despite the wettest winter in forty years, it was a pretty good time. I stayed with my buddy, Joey. He's a landscaper. Twenty five years ago he planted some coffee trees on a property he takes care of. He lives on that propety now. Here's the coffee trees. And the dryingthingamajingy.

My buddy would pick the beans, dry them, then roast them in his oven for twenty minutes while we sat around and smoked cigars and boiled water. Then we'd grind them and pour boiling water through them.The coffee was great. But no greater than any other really, really good coffee. But the smell - the actual aroma, oh lord. Like nothing I've ever smelled. Killer. One of the most enjoyable cups of Joe I"ve ever had. I nearly passed out. Thank the good lord I was still hungover. :) (hey, I was on vacation!)

I'm wayyyyy too lazy to make my own coffee with a machine let alone grow the beans. I do enjoy friends and family who are amateur barista and make a great coffee.

We struggled in MA when we lived there trying to find coffee that we were used to, we found the Starbucks\DD\Green Mountain coffee too weak and watery.

Once we stumbled into the Italian district, we were in latte heaven.

After about a year I got used to the Green Mountain coffee, it was the only one at work, but enjoyed it none the less.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. My wife likes Folgers Classic. I don't mind it but like it a little stronger than her usually. My personal favorite is Vietnamese coffee made in a holder like they use in Vietnam, or similar. It's just hard to get the "real" coffee.

Most Vietnamese in the USA prefer the NOLA coffee such as Cafe DeMonde yellow can. The local oriental store sometimes runs across a good Vietnamese coffee called Cafe Demonte, in a yellow can like the Cafe DeMonde, and I buy a case. It says it has chicory. An attempt to look like the NOLA coffee I am sure. I don't know, but it tastes like the coffee I used to get in Vietnam. I did and do really enjoy that taste.

Latest Discussions