On the practicality of cultivating friends...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are a few random thoughts on the practicality of cultivating a few trusted friends who practice other martial arts. First of all, having friends can come in very handy. The other day I was hanging out with a friend that does Eskrima. We stopped at a convenience market for coffee before training. I realized I'd left my wallet in the car, so he not only paid for my coffee, but he bought me... a donut! Mmmmm... donuts. Actual, true-life story!

But that's not what I was thinking of when I started this thread. I was actually considering how important it is to know people you can trust from other styles who you can train with. I mean good martial artists who can box, grapple, kick well, and help you test your technique and improve what you do.

Now, in the past I've been with instructors who've been very leery of having me train with other groups. They felt this way for a couple of reasons. First, they were proud of what they taught and often they had professional and personal rivalries with the heads of other schools and organizations. So they lost face if you worked out with the other guy's students... maybe word would get out that their stuff had weaknesses and that their students are not very good. As one guy told me, by even training with the other guy's people, you give them credibility and an opportunity to say bad things. He felt that if you ever spar with another group's guys, you have to beat them decisively and have witnesses! Not exactly a recipe for productive training!

Well, I have been away from that instructor for quite a long time now. And I'm lucky enough to know a few guys who practice other styles. Some can give me a run for my money. Others can outright kick my butt. And I trust them. I trust them to test what I know, or think I know, and to give me honest advice from their perspectives on how to improve what I do. And I trust them not to talk smack behind my back. And, they are always good for coffee and a donut!

So how about you guys?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can never have too many good friends, in or out of MA.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A comment on Geezer's post:

Having been around for a while - I have had and do have good friends in a wide variety of martial arts and sports. Knowing them has given a sense of their art that I would not have from books and videos.And, I have friends in other wing chun lineages.

joy chaudhuri

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are a few random thoughts on the practicality of cultivating a few trusted friends who practice other martial arts. First of all, having friends can come in very handy. The other day I was hanging out with a friend that does Eskrima. We stopped at a convenience market for coffee before training. I realized I'd left my wallet in the car, so he not only paid for my coffee, but he bought me... a donut! Mmmmm... donuts. Actual, true-life story!

But that's not what I was thinking of when I started this thread. I was actually considering how important it is to know people you can trust from other styles who you can train with. I mean good martial artists who can box, grapple, kick well, and help you test your technique and improve what you do.

Now, in the past I've been with instructors who've been very leery of having me train with other groups. They felt this way for a couple of reasons. First, they were proud of what they taught and often they had professional and personal rivalries with the heads of other schools and organizations. So they lost face if you worked out with the other guy's students... maybe word would get out that their stuff had weaknesses and that their students are not very good. As one guy told me, by even training with the other guy's people, you give them credibility and an opportunity to say bad things. He felt that if you ever spar with another group's guys, you have to beat them decisively and have witnesses! Not exactly a recipe for productive training!

Well, I have been away from that instructor for quite a long time now. And I'm lucky enough to know a few guys who practice other styles. Some can give me a run for my money. Others can outright kick my butt. And I trust them. I trust them to test what I know, or think I know, and to give me honest advice from their perspectives on how to improve what I do. And I trust them not to talk smack behind my back. And, they are always good for coffee and a donut!

So how about you guys?

Having good friends is a good idea.

Knowing which ones you can count on in a fight is a great idea. I also include those that are smart enough to get out fo the way and stay out of the way so you do not have to worry about them.

Training with others. I think is a good idea.
Keeping an open mind is required. Understanding that you might not do what they do, butunderstanding what they do and why might help you is a good learning tool.

I never tell my students to not train elsewhere, but to see what they have.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been training with a few classmates who have experience outside of wing tzun, it's been awesome, a great learning experience, some northern chinese arts, as well as some TKD, and a muay thai guy... good stuff!

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
I study Kenpo and i have 2 friends who study Wing Chun and we regularly practice. It makes you realise how much more there is to know that's for sure. Good thread!

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its extremely important to have friends in the martial arts world. For me, it is the best part of training - making friends. It is an odd thing, where you can meet people from all walks of life. Ive trained with millionaires, police officers, road sweepers, lapdancers, models, celebrities, professional athletes to name a few. Yet its nice that when you train we are all there for the same thing

Speaking of training with people from other martial arts - it has humbled me to find people who are very very good at what they do. I used to be of the (bad) mindset that this art was good, that art is bad etc, not realising that it is the person that makes the art

A good friend of mine (who used to do wing chun) now teaches me wing chun, and its great because I can trust his teaching a lot more than say if I went to a school that didnt know me and vice versa.

I think thats the trouble with large federations - they often get a bad rep because they can be faceless. When I wa a beginner, I worried that was what Kamon was like. But eventually I realised that Kamon was a really friendly place and the size of the organisation meant that I could bump into people who had previously trained in other styles which assisted me greatly

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You are all so right, can't have too many friends.

They can and do pop up any where and any time in your life, met an fellow WCer couple of years ago, he was in my area for about an month on family business. Had lose contact and lose hope of hearing from him again until recently ... turned out he's also a member of this forum.

Moral of this post ... do your best to stay in contact.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I study Kenpo and i have 2 friends who study Wing Chun and we regularly practice. It makes you realise how much more there is to know that's for sure. Good thread!

Your post reminds us that we should be encouraging input here on the WC forum from guys like you who bring in different experiences and perspectives. When I meet with my Eskrima brothers we learn a lot by sharing from our different backgrounds. One guy (who's unfortunately been out for a bit) is a Kempo stylist. Some of his stuff is quite different from what I do, but then he pulls out moves that look very much like WC. It's it's fascinating...

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I must admit that sometimes you see friends who do a technique from another style and part of you wanst to correct them, but then you realise that the move is part of their martial art as a whole, and probably wouldnt work if it was changed

I love seeing the differences in martial arts.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's very sensible.

My personal goal is to have a friend in every state and country....that way I'll have a couch to crash on. :)

Latest Discussions