Who knows about this style? It is called Moo (m'u) Gar (Gah)?

SilentFoxRun

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone... just curious if anyone ever heard of this style of kungfu called Mu gar. Supposibly it was created by a Dwarf Monk in Shaoilin. The system puts alot of emphasis on close range fighting, it takes ADVANTAGE of the space it has, using that to its maximum abitlity, has alot of passing and parrying (some what the in the same manner that Chin Na teaches). THE STYLE IS AWESOME. Actually i'm taking it right now... but just want to know some history on it thats all.

So if anyone knows of this art, or has any info concerning it please contact me. Thank you All.

Sincerely,

Silent Fox Run

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think if your training in it now, your best place for information would come from your teacher. Do you have any links to him or hiw school?

7sm

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I would think if your training in it now, your best place for information would come from your teacher. Do you have any links to him or hiw school?

7sm

That is a very good place to start.

I could find nothing with that spelling, but that does not mean anything, it can depend on which Chinese dialect it comes from or whether or not it is a pinyin or Wade-Giles spelling.

I look at Mok Gar because the pronunciation that you gave is very similar. These are the same style with different spellings Mok Gar and Mohk Ga. I find no reference to a Shaolin dwarf, but it does reference Shaolin and sounds like a very impressive style. Do these descriptions sound familiar?

Mok Gar
The Mok Gar (Mo Family) style is said to have originated with Monk Mo Ta Shih as an inheritance of the Southern Shaolin Fist. It gained fame three generations later, in the Qing Dynasty, with Mo Qing Chiu (also known as Mo Ta Chang) who learned supposedly from a famous kicker, Choy Kao Yi.

SOUTHERN KUNG FU:
FIVE FIGHTING FAMILIES

HUN GAR – Founded by Hung Hei Gung, it uses external strength and dynamic tension exercises and is excellent for developing muscles and strong low stances.

LAU GAR – Founded by Lau Soam Ngan, it is a middle length hand system, not often taught in present times.

CHOY GAR- No relation to Choy-li-fut, the system was founded by Choy Gau Yee and is a long –arm style.

LI GAR- Founded by Li Yao San (also one of Choy-li-fut's originators), this seldom-taught system features a strong medium-range fist.

MOK GAR – Founded by Mok Ching Giu, who was famous in Canton for his powerful kicks, this system places emphasis on short-hand techniques and strong kicks.

Mohk Ga – [Cantonese] (literal meaning: Mohk family) A style founded by Mohk Ching Giuh, who was famous for his powerful kicks. It has its origins at the Shaolin temple and uses a verity of short-range fighting techniques. It is one of the five family styles of Martial arts from Guangdong province.

Syn

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you're actually reffering to Hung Gar. I know that it was developed by a wandering Monk who fled when the southern shaolin temple was destroyed (dwarf though???) and taught to some with the last name Hung. Hung Gar is definitely desined to use little amount of space (some forms you could do with no more than 4 feet sorrounding you) and it builds tons of lower body strength. Lots of intercepting and parrying though like you were saying.

Latest Discussions