I am going to China

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am going to visit China in May. I have experience in other martial arts but never practiced any CMA. I would like to participate in a few practices while I am there and I have a question for all of you. When people practice Taijiquan in parks is anyone allowed to participate? Do I ask permission, I would assume so? I do not want to be rude. Any advice would be wonderful.

ron

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
I am going to visit China in May. I have experience in other martial arts but never practiced any CMA. I would like to participate in a few practices while I am there and I have a question for all of you. When people practice Taijiquan in parks is anyone allowed to participate? Do I ask permission, I would assume so? I do not want to be rude. Any advice would be wonderful.

ron

I will be in China in May as well.

My understanding it is best to ask them if you can join. They usually say yes because they like people to join in.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both of you enjoy your trips and let us know of your experiences there. Oh and don't forget the pics

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bastards... the both of you... :moon: :moon:

It's better if you know somebody there that can introduce you, but generally if you ask, especially with the people that practice in the parks, you can join right in.

Where will y'all be??

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Bastards... the both of you... :moon: :moon:

It's better if you know somebody there that can introduce you, but generally if you ask, especially with the people that practice in the parks, you can join right in.

Where will y'all be??

This is true, I did not add that because, I didn't think of it...because..well get ready to call me a bastard again...I have in-laws Beijing.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
This is true, I did not add that because, I didn't think of it...because..well get ready to call me a bastard again...I have in-laws Beijing.

Beijing huh?? Hmmm... well that I know of there's no Bak Hok there. I'll hold the bastard the 2nd go round... ;)

However I do know of a stand out Chen Taiji guy that teaches at the the Temple of Heaven on the Southern Gate road between the temple & the outer gate. His name is Qiang. Check him out.

I know there's also some Bagua people that meet & work on the Northside of the park too. I've seen Mulan fan towards the west side of the park. I've also seen Taiji all over the park itself, but I had a chance to watch Qiang Shifu's class & he's really a good teacher & an excellent performer.

There's also Taiji & Bagua at Jingshan Park north of the Forbidden City too.

I didn't see too much "external" stuff at the parks though. Mainly neijia stuff.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Beijing huh?? Hmmm... well that I know of there's no Bak Hok there. I'll hold the bastard the 2nd go round... ;)

However I do know of a stand out Chen Taiji guy that teaches at the the Temple of Heaven on the Southern Gate road between the temple & the outer gate. His name is Qiang. Check him out.

I know there's also some Bagua people that meet & work on the Northside of the park too. I've seen Mulan fan towards the west side of the park. I've also seen Taiji all over the park itself, but I had a chance to watch Qiang Shifu's class & he's really a good teacher & an excellent performer.

There's also Taiji & Bagua at Jingshan Park north of the Forbidden City too.

I didn't see too much "external" stuff at the parks though. Mainly neijia stuff.

This is all great info, actually I was looking for a Chen person, I will check out Qiang. I am a long time internal CMA guy so this all good to hear.

My mother-in-law's next door neighbor is a long time Yang style practitioner, he teaches in one of the parks as well. He is roughly 70 years old and I think greater than 50 years of training. She has informed him (much to my surprise) that I do Tai Chi and push hands so he wants to meet with me, as he put it, every night to do push hands. I am welcome to go to the park as well. I imagine I will get tossed around a lot, but I am certain it will learn a lot too.

I also have connections in Hong Kong and Guangzhou, but I will not be going there for a couple of years.

Now if you wish to throw in the 2nd Bastard it will be ok.

And again, thanks for the information

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all! I will be in Beijing from May 3rd - 8th. I was told by a Chinese friend to practice at the Temple of Heaven.

Xue Sheng when will you be there?

ron

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
Thanks for the info all! I will be in Beijing from May 3rd - 8th. I was told by a Chinese friend to practice at the Temple of Heaven.

Xue Sheng when will you be there?

ron

May 2nd to the 11th, mostly visiting with my wife's family, seeing Beijing and going to Hebei as well as doing push hands with my mother-in-laws next door neighbor and I have also been told that I am suppose to meet a Taoist and talk about Martial arts (once again, much to my surprise, another friend of my mother-in-law).

I was originally looking forward to a relaxing vacation (1st one in about grater than 7 years). Now. although I am not complaining, it has become rather busy.

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Always wanted to visit China someday, Enjoy your Trip and have fun.
Keep us posted about your trip

M

moonflipper

Hi dude.
Ive been to china too.
2 years ago. You can go anywhere to practics taiji with any guys there. And they wont charge u. But the taiqi level on the streets is not very high.

You can find martial arts schools in every corner.
If u visit one, DONT DONT DONT pay in dollers. Thats the beginning of being cheated. Most schools there do modern wushu and its quite difficuklt to find instructors for traditional stuff.

If you wann do mdern wushu, GEEEEEEET used to runnin far. Honestly. They run a lot at chinese martial arts schools and also stretching more then ever. BUT THAT SHOULDNT BE THE PROBLEM FOR A Teakwondo guy lol
Visit Flashmavi to get an idea of all the wushu basics.
Even if u only wanna do taiji, they will stretch you out haaaaaaaard.
You can get all the wushu basics instructions at Flashmavi.
They are animated comic with nice instrction.... Only that theres no PUSE button sox.

http://www.martinvidic.com/martinvidic_en_2006/flash_mavi/wushu.htm

I think i saw a giud for foreigner who wanna go to china somewhere on the site.
Look in extras or misc..... not sure

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:

ron

Just a quick question.

How many shots\vaccinations did you end up having to get and how many did they try and give you, if those are not the same?

In my case I ended up with 2 (I already had 1 previously or it would have been 3). They tried to give me several more, but when they showed me the book that describes the vaccine and why I need it all of the regions they referred to were very far south and west of Beijing.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had to get Hep A and B and tetanus. Typhoid was recommended, I did not get it. I am up on my shots; I was in Korea last and the Middle East before that. Where are you staying? I will be at the Crown Plaza.

ron

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
I had to get Hep A and B and tetanus. Typhoid was recommended, I did not get it. I am up on my shots; I was in Korea last and the Middle East before that. Where are you staying? I will be at the Crown Plaza.

ron

Thanks,

I had Hep B already but needed Hep A and got the Typhoid as well.

But they were listing multiple others including malaria. Up until I ask them to show me some proof of needing all these shots. When they showed me the book they follow I pointed out to them that these were for Southern and far Western China, not Beijing. Also my wife is an OMD from Beijing and was telling them this made no sense.

I will be staying with my wife's family, my mother-in-law actually; I believe it is either just inside or just outside the inner ring.