Who is the father of Karate

Eubrontes

White Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm going to retract that last statement regarading the Chibanas and Kyans. I cannot find the reference. I did however find a reference to the Chibanas and Motobus.

Peace.

If this helps, in Classical Fighting Arts Magazine (Vol 2 number 4) in an interview with Pat Nakata, Charles C Goodin asks: "Motobu Sensei's son, Chosei Motobu, told me taht Kyan Sensei and MOtobu Sense were cousins - that Kyan Sensei or his father, was originally in the Motobu family but had married into the Kyan family. Did you ever hear this?"
Mr. Nakata replied: "No, I did not."

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Timo. That's the link I was looking for.
Since Shuri and Tomari Te were arts passed down through the
Royal families, it doesn't surprise me to see that many of the
more famous karate-ka were distant relatives.

Peace

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Kyan Chotoku sensei was adopted into the Kyan family from the Motobu family. Hmm, at least one web page suggests that it was actually Kyan Chofu, his father http://motobu-ryu.org/motobuudun_en.aspx

Here is another source of the Motobu/Kyan connection:

Dragon Times Volume 20
Choki Motobu part 2
Revelations from his son Chosei...

"Chosei said that he was told by his older sister Shige that Chotoku Kyan was born into the Motobu clan. He changed his name upon joining the Kyan clan. Choki Motobu and Chotoku Kyan used to practice together. I have never heard this before and have never seen any photgraphs of Motobu Sensei and Kyan Sensei together. Perhaps this revelation will open up new avenues for research."

These were Chosei's own words.

Peace

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Masami Tsuruoka is generally considered to be the father of Karate in my country. (father of karate in canada)

He introduced karate into canada and helped found and organized our first karate competition (shortly after the death of O - Sensei Funakoshi, since funakoshi generally was against the competing idea)

Guliufa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone stated previously, those who taught Sakugawa, impregnated him with the skill, making him the mother - giving birth to the art of Toudi. :uhyeah:

Seriously though, I would say Sakugawa is the Father of Karate(Toudi).

I don't know how Funakoshi could even be brought up in this discussion... with all due respect.