Who is going to cal state?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Gorilla
2. Mango Man
3. ATC

Anyone else going? Looking forward to seeing everyone! Should be a fun weekend!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wish I could just to have a beer with all of you, but financies are not right for the trip, since we have one here in Dallas.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck guys! being as I am on the other coast, a trip to Sunny Cali is not in the works. Our team jsut got through PA States (most everyone secured spots at nationals) and are making a run at the Northeats Qualifier in York in a couple of weeks.

Peace,
Erik

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
See you guys there. Heading out now (3/19/10 12:30). 5 hour drive for me.

Good luck to all, and travel safe.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW That was one of the most painful events I have ever had to sit through in my life. Completely disorganized and they never did pull it together.

Glad I am home.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WOW That was one of the most painful events I have ever had to sit through in my life. Completely disorganized and they never did pull it together.

Glad I am home.

I am sorry to hear that, Texas State was the same way. It was not done until almost 1 am central time nothing worked and it was total miss up.

On a different note how did your players do and what kinda numbers did they have?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The total competitor count was over 750. So 1st - 4th all qualified for Nationals.

There were 9 rings setup. 5 for < 14 black belts and all color belts using Ring Master and 4 for > 14 black belts using LaJust. For some reason the 5 rings were doing 3 rounds while the 4 rings for the 14+ black belts were just doing 2 rounds, with the exception of the very first fight of the day in the 14+ black belt division which was 3 rounds.

Poomse was going on in 3 of the 4 > 14 black belt rings until after 2 and 2 of the 4 until after 3. At weigh in Friday night we were told the poomse would be over around 11:30.

The LaJust stuff just was not working and I would say that half the fights. or more, in ring 2 were stopped several times in the middle of the round to do "test kicks". Only 2 times all day did I see any test kicks before a fight began.

They were not "pre-staging" fighters into the LaJust crap before their fight so there was an average of 8-10 minutes of downtime between each and every fight while the previous fighters got off the mat and the next fighters got suited up.

Thankfully they were not enforcing any rules about extra padding under the LaJust crappy sock. Samantha prefers to fight barefoot anyway.

Any how Samantha (18-32), Olivia (12-13), Nelson (12-13), Cory (18-32) and Joe (14-17) all won gold in their divisions. Deireanne won gold in both 14-17 and 18-32. All the other Team-Xers won either Silver or Bronze so everyone qualified after a very long day. I guess it all finished up just before 9.

How'd everyone else that was there do and what were your thoughts on the overall event?

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The judges were not prepared to run sport poomsae (nor did some of them actually know the poomsae they were judging). The 10-13 year old Poom belts did not finish until 3:30 pm.
Many of the competitors were unprepared too. Several did not know that they would have to do more than one poomsae (Shame on their coaches).
I also heard many times "That is not how we are taught to do taeguek 6/7/8/Korryo/Pyongwon in my school". Well guess what, your school is doing it WRONG! One very good competitor lost because she did not know that kicking over the head merits a deduction.

There was one ring, 7 or 8, that had 4 inept referee's. I saw one give a 10 year old a standing 8 count! Jr. saftey rules....Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!! No counting out at that age. They had to have a discussion about it that eventually led to them disqualifiying one of the best in that division. I felt bad for him and his coach. He did not deserve it.
Sure he threw 3 head kicks, the last of which was a little excesive (no snapping of the head or redness/swelling) , but the ref should have given him a gamjeong instead of watching the other boy milk it like a dairy farmer. This kid was so faking it. I watched as he took a back kick (last score before he went down) looked at the score (0-15) and then proceeded to cry like a newborn. The medic even said that he was ok. He was absolutley fine 1 minute after the other boy was DQ'ed. He lost in the semi's but basically cried his was to a bronze and a birth at nationals. A qualified Ref would have seen it and declared the other boy the winner (Malingering).
I spoke with Mark Kaufmann and Master Lai about the event and they were both disgusted. The space was not big enough (CUTA is broke...where did the money go i wonder?), the referee's were unprepared (except for a few) and someone had the idiotic idea to stop the tournament (which started 30 minutes late) for 45 minutes so that a demo team could entertain the crowd! Why didn't someone step up and cancel the demo? Trust me, no one in the crowd would have minded.
In my opinion the event was run very poorly considering that there were so many great competitors. Sport TKD is changing rapidly and many GM's, Masters, Referee's and coaches need to keep up with the changes.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
....There was one ring, 7 or 8, that had 4 inept referee's. I saw one give a 10 year old a standing 8 count! Jr. saftey rules....Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!! No counting out at that age. They had to have a discussion about it that eventually led to them disqualifiying one of the best in that division. I felt bad for him and his coach. He did not deserve it.
Sure he threw 3 head kicks, the last of which was a little excesive (no snapping of the head or redness/swelling) , but the ref should have given him a gamjeong instead of watching the other boy milk it like a dairy farmer. This kid was so faking it. I watched as he took a back kick (last score before he went down) looked at the score (0-15) and then proceeded to cry like a newborn. The medic even said that he was ok. He was absolutley fine 1 minute after the other boy was DQ'ed. He lost in the semi's but basically cried his was to a bronze and a birth at nationals. A qualified Ref would have seen it and declared the other boy the winner (Malingering)....quote]
Funny that you mention this match, my son was in that division and won it. We hoped so much for the boy that got DQ'd to continue and not be DQ’d, as my son really had no competition in that division. The boy that got DQ'd looked like a formidable opponent and we hoped that he and my son would have matched up in the finals. As it stood my son won his matches 15-0 and 12-0 and used the matches to practice.

We also closed the tournament with the last match of the day so we were there from begining to end. A long day was an understatement.

We also had one kid in the poomsae ring that did not finish (ring 1) until 3:00 or so. It was really bad for him, because as soon as he finally finished up poomsae he had to fight right away. The poor kid had not time to eat anything or even warm up. He got geared up straight from poomsae and then went right to his ring to fight. He lost 10-5 as he was exhausted from 6 rounds of poomsae. How do you focus on fighting when your focus was just on poomsae and you go straight into a fight right after focusing on form and precision.

The way they are doing things now any fighting competitors will no longer compete in poomsae. Top fighters really don't do this anyway, but young ones (8-13) still love poomsae and fighting both and can afford to do both until at least 14.

As far as how we did.

Poomsae: 5 total medals
2 Gold
2 Silver
1 Bronze

Sparring: 12 total medals
4 Gold
5 Silver
3 Bronze

Let's hope that someone took notes and learned something and that the Fresno Qualifiers are much better.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was a disaster!!!! 2-1.5 minute rounds to qualify in the Jr/Sr div. We had success 1 Gold, 3 Silver and 1 bronze. Everyone qualified. By the end I was very frustrated. Not a good experience. Hope Fresno is better.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry I missed a bracket on msmitht's quote in my previous post. Here it is again with the corrected quoted statement.

....There was one ring, 7 or 8, that had 4 inept referee's. I saw one give a 10 year old a standing 8 count! Jr. saftey rules....Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!! No counting out at that age. They had to have a discussion about it that eventually led to them disqualifiying one of the best in that division. I felt bad for him and his coach. He did not deserve it.
Sure he threw 3 head kicks, the last of which was a little excesive (no snapping of the head or redness/swelling) , but the ref should have given him a gamjeong instead of watching the other boy milk it like a dairy farmer. This kid was so faking it. I watched as he took a back kick (last score before he went down) looked at the score (0-15) and then proceeded to cry like a newborn. The medic even said that he was ok. He was absolutley fine 1 minute after the other boy was DQ'ed. He lost in the semi's but basically cried his was to a bronze and a birth at nationals. A qualified Ref would have seen it and declared the other boy the winner (Malingering)....
Funny that you mention this match, my son was in that division and won it. We hoped so much for the boy that got DQ'd to continue and not be DQ&#8217;d, as my son really had no competition in that division. The boy that got DQ'd looked like a formidable opponent and we hoped that he and my son would have matched up in the finals. As it stood my son won his matches 15-0 and 12-0 and used the matches to practice.

We also closed the tournament with the last match of the day so we were there from begining to end. A long day was an understatement.

We also had one kid in the poomsae ring that did not finish (ring 1) until 3:00 or so. It was really bad for him, because as soon as he finally finished up poomsae he had to fight right away. The poor kid had not time to eat anything or even warm up. He got geared up straight from poomsae and then went right to his ring to fight. He lost 10-5 as he was exhausted from 6 rounds of poomsae. How do you focus on fighting when your focus was just on poomsae and you go straight into a fight right after focusing on form and precision.

The way they are doing things now any fighting competitors will no longer compete in poomsae. Top fighters really don't do this anyway, but young ones (8-13) still love poomsae and fighting both and can afford to do both until at least 14.

As far as how we did.

2 Gold
2 Silver
1 Bronze

4 Gold
5 Silver
3 Bronze

Let's hope that someone took notes and learned something and that the Fresno Qualifiers are much better.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
At Texas State, there were only 1 ring for Sport Poomsae. The judges all knew the formats and knew how to scored. These judges were good.

We also had trouble with the majority of school/clubs did not know the Sport Poomsae format. Once I found out what forms the Cadets/Juniors...etc had to do, I went out and let all of them know.

The responds were "I do not know those forms. I know only one form" So there questions, gasps, shocked, fear, from the kids and adults alike. The official had to go and separate the recreational poomsae vs the Sport Poomsae athletes out and created the usual traditional divisions.

As I stated from my thread few weeks ago, lots of school do not know the MAJOR changes in Poomsae competition and it was not well advertised. Also, lots of school do not really read the lay out on the flyer. Also once they did read it, the Masters/coaches/instructors do not understand the difference so they registered the kids in Sport Poomsae division.

The funny thing was that I told my athletes what forms they had to do based on the number of kids registered. Once we finally divided the kids up, then I had to tell the kids again that they had to do more advanced forms. Lots of them were relieved because we were practicing higher ranked forms based on what were registered on Hang Star site. TX allowed late registration and that new unknown number thrown us off a bit.

But it all went well with the Sport Poomsae once it was all sorted out. Now the Sparring with the E-Hogu was another matter.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At Texas State, there were only 1 ring for Sport Poomsae. The judges all knew the formats and knew how to scored. These judges were good.

We also had trouble with the majority of school/clubs did not know the Sport Poomsae format. Once I found out what forms the Cadets/Juniors...etc had to do, I went out and let all of them know.

The responds were "I do not know those forms. I know only one form" So there questions, gasps, shocked, fear, from the kids and adults alike. The official had to go and separate the recreational poomsae vs the Sport Poomsae athletes out and created the usual traditional divisions.

As I stated from my thread few weeks ago, lots of school do not know the MAJOR changes in Poomsae competition and it was not well advertised. Also, lots of school do not really read the lay out on the flyer. Also once they did read it, the Masters/coaches/instructors do not understand the difference so they registered the kids in Sport Poomsae division.

The funny thing was that I told my athletes what forms they had to do based on the number of kids registered. Once we finally divided the kids up, then I had to tell the kids again that they had to do more advanced forms. Lots of them were relieved because we were practicing higher ranked forms based on what were registered on Hang Star site. TX allowed late registration and that new unknown number thrown us off a bit.

But it all went well with the Sport Poomsae once it was all sorted out. Now the Sparring with the E-Hogu was another matter.

Come on Texas State was a total miss both in sport poomsae and sparring, we did not even fininsh until after 1 a.m.. You was there right and saw the middle ring was you informed that they told the refs to syop the players from falling and if need be for them to fall off the ring. Also the venue was small only maybe 100 or do could watch the competition because of the size. Once again they allowed people to show up and compete, which is a big NO NO by the rules. The tournament was simply bad and unorganized, the sparring and Lajust system sucked period. Sorry if you thought that was a great tournament, your Master must be on the committee or something because it was BAD BAD and BAD.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Come on Texas State was a total miss both in sport poomsae and sparring, we did not even fininsh until after 1 a.m.. You was there right and saw the middle ring was you informed that they told the refs to syop the players from falling and if need be for them to fall off the ring. Also the venue was small only maybe 100 or do could watch the competition because of the size. Once again they allowed people to show up and compete, which is a big NO NO by the rules. The tournament was simply bad and unorganized, the sparring and Lajust system sucked period. Sorry if you thought that was a great tournament, your Master must be on the committee or something because it was BAD BAD and BAD.

Master Terri,
I NEVER say the tournament ran well. This is what I said:
1. The Sport Poomsae refs did a good job because they knew how to judged. There were at least 2 IR for Sport poomsae there that I knew. Because of the limited of Sport Poomsae refs, there were only 1 ring running and so the Sport Poomsae ran late.

2. The Sport Poomsae did not finishe at 1:00, it finished at 2:30 and I was the last competitor. After that they ran the weapon division for the kids that were in the Sport Poomsae.

3. My Master Instructor RESIGNED from the TX state board because of all of the shinannigan going on with the TX state President. Last year, when my Master were the official, he managed the tournament well. There were 480 competitors, and he/they rented a big arena that had 8-10 rings going.
- also, my Master had many parents volunteered to helped out with the registration, ring managements, electronic score systems...etc.
- the tournenament finished by 5 or 6 pm with 480 competitors.

4. This year it was mis-management due to lack of volunteers, smaller venue..etc..
- My Master instructor helped out by asking his kids' parents to volunteer with the LaJust scoring keeping because we are experienced with the system. We had 4 sets in the school and we know how to used it.
- 5 parents, including my husband, ran the ring smoothly with the LaJust system until 8-9 pm or so. That is when things starting to get slow because there weren't any volunteers left to help with the LaJust system. My husband helped out until 10:00 pm.

6. I gave credit to one of the official who were the MC that he managed and sorted Sport Poomsae from the traditional Poomsae divisions. I was there to help out. I was also there to explains what is the difference between those two and help the kids to make the decision when the sorted the division out.

That is all I am saying.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Terri,
I NEVER say the tournament ran well. This is what I said:
1. The Sport Poomsae refs did a good job because they knew how to judged. There were at least 2 IR for Sport poomsae there that I knew. Because of the limited of Sport Poomsae refs, there were only 1 ring running and so the Sport Poomsae ran late.

2. The Sport Poomsae did not finishe at 1:00, it finished at 2:30 and I was the last competitor. After that they ran the weapon division for the kids that were in the Sport Poomsae.

3. My Master Instructor RESIGNED from the TX state board because of all of the shinannigan going on with the TX state President. Last year, when my Master were the official, he managed the tournament well. There were 480 competitors, and he/they rented a big arena that had 8-10 rings going.
- also, my Master had many parents volunteered to helped out with the registration, ring managements, electronic score systems...etc.
- the tournenament finished by 5 or 6 pm with 480 competitors.

4. This year it was mis-management due to lack of volunteers, smaller venue..etc..
- My Master instructor helped out by asking his kids' parents to volunteer with the LaJust scoring keeping because we are experienced with the system. We had 4 sets in the school and we know how to used it.
- 5 parents, including my husband, ran the ring smoothly with the LaJust system until 8-9 pm or so. That is when things starting to get slow because there weren't any volunteers left to help with the LaJust system. My husband helped out until 10:00 pm.

6. I gave credit to one of the official who were the MC that he managed and sorted Sport Poomsae from the traditional Poomsae divisions. I was there to help out. I was also there to explains what is the difference between those two and help the kids to make the decision when the sorted the division out.

That is all I am saying.

First off it is Terry not Terri, but that is O.K. In the mean time every ring that had the Lajust equipment had problems, believe me when I say that. I am not trying to put words in your mouth so I will say sorry if I mis-read what you where saying.

Next thing I know who your Master is and last year was better and was at Loos Fieldhouse in Dallas which is bigger and has a true sitting area for the spectators.

The next thing is alot of my B.B was there as referee's and helpers as well, funny my own son was aref. and did not get a dinner or lunch break until 8 p.m., by the way he is going to be 16 this friday. I was disgrusted by the whole thing he paid to compete and never got to due to the lack of timeframe and nobody would relieve him to compete, but that is all right because the qualifier will be here in May and he will then.

Last thing I know alot of people since I have been here forever and can remember the good the bad and the ugly, to me this was a bad tournament not ugly just bad....

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I missed a bracket on msmitht's quote in my previous post. Here it is again with the corrected quoted statement.

Funny that you mention this match, my son was in that division and won it. We hoped so much for the boy that got DQ'd to continue and not be DQ’d, as my son really had no competition in that division. The boy that got DQ'd looked like a formidable opponent and we hoped that he and my son would have matched up in the finals. As it stood my son won his matches 15-0 and 12-0 and used the matches to practice.

As far as how we did.

2 Gold
2 Silver
1 Bronze

4 Gold
5 Silver
3 Bronze

Your kid did well in that division. I feel sorry for the kid from NTC who malingered his way to a birth at nationals. He is gonna get tore up from the floor up. Sad thing is that after watching what happened 3 of my kids do not want to spar once they reach Poom belt. I don't want to tell them that the kid was faking it....but he was.

Latest Discussions