Dazed, my way of thinking

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know I have ran a commercial school for so long now and times are really changing. I remember back in the eighties we got together and trained for the love of it all, what has happened to that feeling? I was thinking do I want to close my doors and just train a handful of people that really enjoy it as much as me. With the ecomony being bad and having to come out of pocket every month to cover bills, I was just thinking is it worth it anymore.

I just recieved my notice that our program for funding for my at risk youth will stop at the end of this month, that means I have to tell seven young men and woman I can no longer train them or do it for free, the feeling sucks. I guess I am guessing what it is that needs to be done so programs can stay in place and maybe even grow over the next few years.

I am venting complaining and just asking stupid ramdom thoughts so if it does not make sense to you it is OK...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this latest setback, Terry. My well wishes are directed your way.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Persevere through the bad and press on to the good. All that you can do. Guys like you keep the arts alive in the down-times.

Daniel

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know I have ran a commercial school for so long now and times are really changing. I remember back in the eighties we got together and trained for the love of it all, what has happened to that feeling? I was thinking do I want to close my doors and just train a handful of people that really enjoy it as much as me. With the ecomony being bad and having to come out of pocket every month to cover bills, I was just thinking is it worth it anymore.

I just recieved my notice that our program for funding for my at risk youth will stop at the end of this month, that means I have to tell seven young men and woman I can no longer train them or do it for free, the feeling sucks. I guess I am guessing what it is that needs to be done so programs can stay in place and maybe even grow over the next few years.

I am venting complaining and just asking stupid ramdom thoughts so if it does not make sense to you it is OK...

You don't need to run a commercial school to be a strong part of TKD. If I had to come up with $ out of pocket I would try to find another venue to train in that was more affordable. The loyalty is to the trainer/master/coach. It does not matter to me or my kids location of our training. We would train in a cave with Master Blackburn and I am sure that your loyal students feel the same way. Find a way to keep your tkd alive and don't go bankrupt for the sake of a building. There are other ways.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Times are crappy now.... and dont seem like they will get better anytime soon. Almost anything government related is trying to get cut from tax rebates/credits, to compensation and mainly education related. Pools/ libraries and all the things that serve good to the comunity are the first to go, not thier bonuses or salary of course.

But thats for a different topic.

As for your current delima...
here's a suggestion.

You can pull the 7 young men/women aside, and make a deal with them. They probably add benefit to being there, through skill, partnership amongst the others, and if not for just a target for others (harsh... I know) Pull them aside alone and work out a deal with them. On the basis of confidentiality, that if they let it out, they would be dismissed. But see what they can afford, and if its nothing, then so be it. I understand you cant teach for free and have a business to run. But its not like they are taking seats that could be paid right.?!

If they can afford $20 a month, take it. Because at the end of the day, its still $20 more than if they left, and you get to keep an individual that can add value to you, your students and most importantly.... themselves. And who knows, the reward may be the difference you make in that persons life. We may not see the rewards of our consequences in our life, but in the end we will. If you could change a persons life for the better, just one person, who cares about the fact that they didn't pay you.

Now I know, we cant teach for free. And im not aying to do this for everyone, hell you couldnt. But if you have invested time into 7 people who show some talent and interest, it may benefit you and the school by making an exception this once. Have them work for you if possible. Help out, take on extra responsibilities, anything to make them feel they earned it and it wasn't given to them. Tell them they can train for free but have to pay to test and get gear, its still something coming in. Keep it between you and them, and let them know if they told others they would have to leave. Others might not understand if they found out, but its not thier business to know or understand. Your the instructor and you have the right and option to do as you please. Saturday school cleanings, asist in teaching underbelts, gear pickup, vehicle washing, anything to make them think it isnt free to teach them that life isnt going to hand them out free-bees because they cant afford it.

But its your choice and you know these students better than anyone else... if they deserve a chance..... give it if you can.

You can still benefit from this situation if you think about it.

Latest Discussions