Who Inspired you?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always had an interest in martial arts so far as I can remember so there was no real person who initially inspired me. Though I could say my parents, because they did encourage me. Once I became seriously involved in martial arts when I started college, my biggest inspiration was my first instructor, simply because he is a great teacher. The few other instructors I've been lucky enough to have also were great inspirations to me.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a cliche, I know, but...my teacher. :)

I had no exposure at all to martial arts until middle age. One day I walked into a dojo, looking for some exercise, and saw someone moving in a way I'd never seen a person move before. Bunkai version of Goju kata done 'full out'. Blew my mind.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this guy had some influence on me...

shadow%20dancer.png

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
Kwai Chang Cain (hard to admit but true, what can I say I was a kid)
Kaan Sensei – My first MA teacher (jujitsu) and he continues to have an impact on my views of MA and my training

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
those who inspired me most one way or another are ueshibasensei takamatsusensei, hatsumisensei and stephen k. hayessensei.
but that was a while ago. reading the spiritual writings of ueshibasensei and the divine teachings of aiki, reading the depictions and inspirations of hayessensei and receiving the message of mercy and wisdom from takamatsusensei.

j

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me it was Jackie Chan.

In the summer of 1992 Channel 4 (I think) showed Jackie Chan films every week. My mate and I watched them, and then started renting DVD's. Before we went off to Uni (separate ones) we agreed that we would both look for a kung-fu club. At Christmas we met up again (this was the days before mobile phones and email, so we did not speak from Summer to Christmas) I found Shaolin Five Pattern Hung kuen in Preston, and my mate found Hung Kuen Five Pattern Kung-fu in Exeter. At first we were shocked that we both found the same clubs, and my mate was also shocked that I had graded, and he had not. But it soon emerged that the two styles we were doing, although sounding the same, were vastly different.

Good old Jackie Chan. Armour of God, Operation Condor, Dragons Forever - those were our favourites I think. Although I now prefer the old ones.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Batman!

But really, my dad had me in Karate when I was like 6. In my family you have to play a sport, there's no excuse. So Karate, tennis and swimming were my thing.

jonbey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I almost got into karate when I was about 8. A school friend wanted to try it, and asked if I would go with him. I liked it, but he didn't, and I never went back (it was in his part of town). My family are only interested in football (that's soccer) so there was no guidance there. Luckily I met Jackie Chan!

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first inspirations were not martial artists but the role models who said I could do anything if I put my mind to it......Jane Goodall, Mom, Dad and Sr. Rita!!!!!:asian:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The bullies in elementary, junior high, and to a lesser extent, high school, inspired me. It didn't feel too good being a late bloomer, and getting picked on by Neanderthals who were bigger only because their parents had held them back a year or two, or they flunked a year or two. Now that I look back at things, I'm actually physically bigger than they ever were, and can only feel sorry for some of them, who are stuck in dead end jobs, and are in awful health from the chronic drinking and smoking...
Yeah it's basically the same here for me... though I'm not much bigger now than I was during H.S. I'm definitely not taking any more **** from anyone... ever! It were the ogres roaming the halls and locker-rooms that somehow elected me as their token whipping boy that got me going in being sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Honestly... on the worse of them I don't wonder or care about who/what/where/how they are now-a-days. It took a long time to get over the crap that I had to take from them so they can just rot or go on with their own lives.

Watching Lee, Carradine in their respective tv shows and eventually Lee's movies got me going.

OP
Q

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
You gotta love this stuff! All you guys/ gals are great in here! Happy Thanksgiving everyone,enjoy the gift of life,friends,and just being alive.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My inspirations....

1 - My Dad. He's a great man - not a martial artist - but definently has the heart!! If a job is worth doing - it's worth doing now and doing it right.

2 - My Sempai. His energy and love for the art and his students rubs off.

3 - My Class Mates. When i'm feeling it all i need to do is look at them and see the determination in their eyes which recharges me.

4 - My Scars. I think a lot of us have experienced bullies....and i do draw on that at times, especially when i need to lift my offensive intensity a bit.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
im probably one of the few young guns in this post but my inspiration for martial arts is of course bruce lee for one, jackie chan, chuck norris, jet li, and also the origional teenage mutant ninja turtles, what can i say im a product of the 80s. but all those influences got me over a decade in martial arts and the rank of 1st dan.

Sambone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I never had an inspiration going into martial arts. I wanted to learn how to beat someone up. Once I joined it became my instructors Bob Yager and Bert Pond. My parents of course have always been there and supported me. They have made a huge influence on my life. Most of the things I do is so they will be proud of me. Since joining martial arts I have had many inspirations in my life though. My first grade teacher Mrs. Newel, 6th grade teacher Mrs. Stall, Jim Riley and Charalote Patrick (college professors) My parents of course. My training partner and lil sis, Veronica. And the list could go on really. But the above are definetly the inspiration in my life. Sorry to disappoint, but no movie actor or famous person has really ever inspired me. I guess I do what i know will make those in my life proud not what I think some movie actor would do.

Latest Discussions