Which Wing Chun?

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Two part question.

I have trained in Tae Kwon do for several years and have had to step back due to a knee injury.

I am considering training in Wing Chun, but it concerns me having been in an aggressive art of TKD and looking at Wing Chun. Is Wing Chun affective say in a street brawl or would something more like Kenpo or TKD be a better choice. looking at the forms and such it doens't seem to have a lot of training once you defend yourself and are on the offensive side.

I am looking at training under soon to test for 10th Level Siger Barb Sabourin who is training under Master Brian Lewadny who trained under Master Cheung.

Also available in my area is a Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu school. Not knowing the ins and outs of Kung fu. Can someone enlighten me on the differnece and which is your opinions the better choice. Thanks in advance

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wing Chun is an extremely effective and efficient infighting art. You would be well served to study it. It is structurally superior to much of the TKD I've seen; I understand what you're saying about the superficial aggressive qualities (or lack thereof), but if the school you choose is a good one, you'll quickly see just how aggressive a trained Wing Chun student can be.

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
By any chance do you know what the differnce in Moy Yat vs Cheung WC are?

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I live in Omaha, Nebraska

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In your honest opinions, what makes Wing Chun such a powerful martial art? If someone asked why wing Chun over other arts, what would you say? Omaha is saturated with Tae kwon do(30 dojos), has 2 Kenpo, and 2 wing chun.

This is meant as an honest question, not trying to lead to some battle of the arts. But as I move from TKD(4years) due to a knee injury and being older so not willing to risk my knee with all the fancies, I am trying to get a good feel for what I am going to begin this next Monday as I join Wing Chun.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's an infighting style that relies on anatomical structure rather than simple muscle to generate power, making it ideal for smaller people (and that much more powerful for larger people).

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
It's an infighting style that relies on anatomical structure rather than simple muscle to generate power, making it ideal for smaller people (and that much more powerful for larger people).

Powerful for larger people in hitting power only, but not in its aspects. Wing Chun is good for all kinds of people and you can generate power like bigger opponents or maybe more if you used the techniques in a proper way.

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All this sounds great unless you know nothing about the art and then it doesn't real say what wing chun is. I have watched a couple of classes but that still doesn't really answer what is wing chun and what makes it different from other arts.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All this sounds great unless you know nothing about the art and then it doesn't real say what wing chun is. I have watched a couple of classes but that still doesn't really answer what is wing chun and what makes it different from other arts.

If you've watched classes and you've heard these answers and you still don't understand, no one- or two-sentence answers are going to answer your questions for you.

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The school I have observed and plan to go to is a wing chun school from Master Cheung lineage

OP
tkdduck

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Phil,
I guess that is what I am looking for something other than a 2 sentence answer that will help to understand what Wing Chun is.

If I said that i am a computer operating system that uses less resource to process info faster than other systems. would you know which operating system I am talking about. - sorry I am a computer tech by living.

I guess I am trying to grasp a good understanding of what I am about to start learning. Not so much technic but understand on what the foundation for what Wing Chun is.

If someone of the street said to you - I know nothing about MA, what is wing Chun, how would you develop his understanding of this art over others. The phase it allows small people to fight effective over bigger foes, with less strength doesn't explain what Wing Chun is. It gives more of a Motto: Buy Wing Chun - less strength more power.

I am not trying to sound rude, and If I am I am sorry. I truly am trying to understand in my mind what wing chuns basic principles are that form the foundation for what I am going to learn.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had the same questions you have and I have TKD as my primary art. WC is more effective in street fights than TKD. TKD relies on keeping distance while WC relies more on closing the gap.

To learn more, do as I did and research it on the net. Google it and read up on it. If you are considereing learning from a William Cheung lineage then you may first want to speak with that instructor so they tell you how they feel as well as going to Cheungs website and reading about his philosophy on WC.

The link below is for a school out here in Texas BUT they have a lot of info on WC and you can read more about it as well as see clips of WC in action.

www.combatwc.com

Please believe me when I say that I am not trying to be a smart @ss but your best bet is to read up and then come and ask specific questions. A lot of what you are asking can be explained on numerous websites and even reading previous threads in this forum. Trust me I wondered the samethings you are and after alot of research on the net, I found my answers and these kind people in this forum asnwered specific questions I had.

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Would you be able to articulate the difference?

Wing chun is the general term used. Although it is a brand name of the Cheung system, it is still the original.
Ving Tsun was called by Gongsau wong to remove jokes about what people used to called "Toilet fist" WC. He called it victory fist VT. The term Ving tsun is used by most other Yipman students including Sifu Moyyat and others. Leung Ting called it Wing Tsun. Well that's the whole story.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
tkdduck said:
In your honest opinions, what makes Wing Chun such a powerful martial art? If someone asked why wing Chun over other arts, what would you say? Omaha is saturated with Tae kwon do(30 dojos), has 2 Kenpo, and 2 wing chun.

This is meant as an honest question, not trying to lead to some battle of the arts. But as I move from TKD(4years) due to a knee injury and being older so not willing to risk my knee with all the fancies, I am trying to get a good feel for what I am going to begin this next Monday as I join Wing Chun.

To be honest with you, good Wing chun is very few and far between, there are a lot of peole teaching the art that really shoauldn't and it is better to not learn bad Wing Chun than to learn bad Wing Chun. The fundamental reality and engine of Wing Chun is the SLT power and the power of leverage, very few people have this properly developed, and it needs to be said without this you cannot make wing chun work properly

Latest Discussions