which one?

H

Hanzo04

i'm asking the same question in EPAK. Kenpo or wing chun? both are very good in-fighting systems and are very fast with the hands. they also claim to be tops for street self-defense. what do you guys think?

OP
H

Hanzo04

i was just sayin' what was on my mind. i'm curious to see the answers.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo may just be what you are looking for but not because it is better but because for better or worse minor moves are encouraged to acheive victory, and or just plain cheating. I've had zero Wing chun instruction but it has a traditional vibe that doesn't seem to scream "streetfighter".
That's just my veiw from across the fence. Prove me wrong. :asian:
sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've studied Wing Chun for a while, and actually had the privilege, no make that honor of practicing/learning from Grandmaster Ip Ching during a seminar some years ago.
I've a close friend who is a practicing kenpoist and practised with them to help them test for their belt(s).
I've found both, like many other arts to have good street-fighting skills.
The point is that the Martial Art (which-ever one you choose), is only as good as the weilder. Much like a high-end sports car performs only as good as the one behind the wheel. The same apple bitten by two different people is going to taste differently.
How well you use the art will determine the effectiveness that you seek. IMO one art will have as many varied results in a "street-fight" as another. Remember, YOU determine the outcome no matter which art you use.
--------------------------
P.S. this is a duplicate of a reply I made in Kenpo... such generalized questions should best be asked in General Martial Arts Talk forum to prevent double posting (yeah, yeah, I'm being a hypocryte)... you'll also get a broader base of answers as well. just FYI... :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
i'm asking the same question in EPAK. Kenpo or wing chun? both are very good in-fighting systems and are very fast with the hands. they also claim to be tops for street self-defense. what do you guys think?

Only you can answer this question for yourself.

Ask yourself "What am I looking for?"

Then, "Who are the most qualified instructors around that I can train with?"

Then, "Out of the most qualified instructors, who will give me what I am looking for?"

You see, it has very little to do with the art, but more to do with the instructor and what you are looking for.

:asian:

OP
R

RHD

Hanzo04 said:

Try them both for six months and see whcih one suits you better.

Mike

OP
L

leehoicheun

ok... I can't understand why my post was deleted. I followed the rules and offered good advise. Oh well.

anyway.... Wing Chun and Kenpo are BOTH street applicable. I know this because my best friend is the owner of a very well known Kenpo school and I own a Wing Chun school.

sorry admin if I mentioned our names or websites :idunno:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:

Well that's a toughie. The big question here is instruction set. EPAK is a much more comprehensive system than WC. WC is a slimmed down system and has a set of principles that necessitate the use of only certain techniques. It has only 3 to 4 forms, 12 dummy sets, and 2 weapon forms. EPAK I believe has near or more than 100 and uses many more weapons. The end result is that WC can be learned more quickly but EPAK gives you more options. You have to decide which is more important and then follow that.

I found myself facing the same decision you're making right now back in 1991 and I chose the WC route. It worked well for me. However, everyone and everyone's needs are different. Visit both schools and see for yourself, but my suggestion is Wing Chun.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
leehoicheun - Tis ok. Share away. :)

There are WC ideas in Kenpo. Both are excellent arts and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Kenpo is the more 'modern' art, but I think its a matter of preference. Some of the Kenpo stuff I've done, had a 'Wing Chun' feel to it.

If you can, try both, then go with the one you feel more comfortable with.

:asian:

sungkit

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend choosing one style and training solely in that martial art for at least one year. This may seem a long time if you are not interested or feel that the martial art that you have chosen does not suit you. But look atit this way, if the time is less you really have not dedicated sufficient time to see if that martial art suits u.

I have niot trained in kenpo, but when I was starting wing chun there was plenty of time and training concentrating on learning, developing and refining the basics of the style. At the time, I felt that wing chun did not suit me or that I would develop the necessary skills that I wanted. Yet after learning for approximately a year, I really started to appreciate where I was heading in my training.

Remember though. You will only reap what you have invested into your training. And the man is far more important than the style!