Which is Your Dominant Side?

Are you dominant on the left side, right side, or ambidextrous?

• Left side dominant

• Right side dominant

• Ambidextrous (can use both sides equally well)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There have been a couple of threads lately discussing whether being left-handed is easier as well as whether to train both sides. Out of curiosity, I'm wondering how many of us in martial arts are left-dominant, right-dominant, or truly ambidextrous (able to use both sides equally well). Usually an indicator of side dominance is with which hand you write. People tend to be stronger on the same side as they write. Let's vote then!

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't vote because I'm not ambidextrous - but which side is better depends on what I'm doing, especially with kicks. My right side is generally stronger, but my left side is more flexible; also, some techniques work better on one side, and some work better on the other.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I'm right handed but kick with my left foot (most of the time); go figure.

So do I. I balance better on my right leg than I do my left so I prefer to kick with my left foot as well.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I put ambidextrous, but that's not exactly true. However, I feel that in most things I am equal on both sides. I may kick harder with my right leg and hit harder with my left, be more accurate with my right hand, but quicker with my left foot... you get the idea.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many of our fightinng techniques is design for right handed people. Off course somethings are done both sides. (mainly right side).

I am left handed but find myselfs standing in a right handed position. Prefer left hand stance...but glad to learn both ways.

answer Left hand side is more dominant...I think....right now my right brain is doing the thinking? ........Left out again.......Aloha

G

Gary Crawford

When I was much younger and training in Kenpo, I did my best to be good either way,but since a knee injury to my right knee became a fact of life,I don't feel as confident kicking with my left and basing with my right leg. So when I changed to JKD,strong side lead has worked extremely well for me.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every day things are all left handed. Writing, using scissors, shooting. But when it comes to sports, other then shooting, I tend to do them right handed, but can use both pretty equally.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmm..

I'd say my dominant side is my better half (my wife). I usually use both hands when tackling my honey-do list. Does that count as being ambidextrous? ;)
p.s. My wife has a strong left kick! D'oh!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted for Abby - Abby Normal oh wiat I mean Ambidextrous. ;) :)

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
we start training every class on the left side and switch every ten counts. i use both sides equally no matter what type of fight i'm in.

with respect painstain

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm right handed but kick harder with the left. We work the weak side alot more.
Terry

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am right side dominant. My right side has more power, but I prefer to throw more techniques with my left (forward) side.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm right dominate but have learned how to do things with my left. So while I'm not necessarily ambidextrous, my left side can function well enough on it's own if need be.
I think it's worth-while to learn to be good on both sides no matter which one is the dominate one. If one side is injured or incapciated then at least the other should be able to compensate well enough.

Toby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I'm right handed but kick with my left foot (most of the time); go figure.

Same here...

I punch harder and quicker with my right arm/hand, but kick harder ,faster and higher with my left leg/foot.

Strange.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Bites tongue at the question*

Anyway...I have more power with my right but greater range with my left, so to answer the question, it depends on what I'm trying to do, i guess.

Now for other things, I shoot either, I bat (baseball) either, I play hockey lefty, but I'm strictly righty in all other things. So I guess I'm ambi d...amba...both. :)

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All of you are saying you do this left, you do that right. Everyone does that.

I guess I should rephrase the question to whether you are left or right handed (which writing hand) if the question of dominant side is confusing. The ambidextrous part doesn't mean doing some things right and some other things left. It means doing the same thing *equally well* on BOTH sides.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
All of you are saying you do this left, you do that right. Everyone does that.

I guess I should rephrase the question to whether you are left or right handed (which writing hand) if the question of dominant side is confusing. The ambidextrous part doesn't mean doing some things right and some other things left. It means doing the same thing *equally well* on BOTH sides.

- Ceicei

If that's what you mean, I'm right-handed (mostly).

Latest Discussions