Where is the power generation?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I see the forms done this way, WC makes more sense to me.
Agree with you 100% there.

Since my primary style "long fist" doesn't have "power generation" method, and "speed generation" method. All my life, I have tried to find it from other MA systems. I have to get

- "power generation" from the Baji system, and
- "speed generation" from the preying mantis and Zimen systems.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with you 100% there.

Since my primary style "long fist" doesn't have "power generation" method, and "speed generation" method. All my life, I have tried to find it from other MA systems. I have to get

- "power generation" from the Baji system, and
- "speed generation" from the preying mantis and Zimen systems.
That's interesting. So the style doesn't have an internal set of principles to support power generation and speed? How does that happen?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's interesting. So the style doesn't have an internal set of principles to support power generation and speed? How does that happen?
From the long fist system, you can learn all the kicks and punches. It's great for building a foundation. But IMO, to get into more depth, there are some missing elements.

Most long fist teachers would say, "If you have trained this system long enough, you will get your power and speed". I don't believe in that kind of logic.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the long fist system, you can learn all the kicks and punches. It's great for building a foundation. But IMO, to get into more depth, there are some missing elements.

Most long fist teachers would say, "If you have trained this system long enough, you will get your power and speed". I don't believe in that kind of logic.
Nor do I. It seems it would be more effective to start with power generation day one, or as close to it as possible. Speed might or might not be a reasonable side-effect of proper form and good power generation.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nor do I. It seems it would be more effective to start with power generation day one, or as close to it as possible. Speed might or might not be a reasonable side-effect of proper form and good power generation.
Here is one of the many "power generation" drills that any beginner can start to train during day one. To use the end of the previous move to generate power for the next move is such a simple idea, but it doesn't get emphasized in the long fist system.

Here is one of the many "speed generation" drills that any beginner can start to train during day one too. To jump in the air, "throw 3 punches with one arm, and throw 3 blocks with the other arms" before landing down. It's also not emphasized in the long fist system.

Last edited:

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I was told an equivalent of this in Wing Tsun, that "power and speed comes with time, in early training it is more important to worry about proper mechanics". Its anecdotal for sure, but I've been hit by that same teacher from close distance and felt the relaxed power that was there, and felt this from more senior students also, so I don't doubt him. Different systems have different thoughts on power generation, but in my own experience with WT, it was when my mechanics were correct as taught by the forms, and I was relaxed, that I was able to generate speed and power without tiring myself out.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many years ago when someone taught me the 1st WC form, I asked him, "Why am I just moving my arm without moving my body?"

- From a different CMA system, I was taught to train Miao Diao (long single edge knife) form without holding a Miao Diao. When I did that, I had to assume that my body was the Miao Diao. To swing a Miao diao, I had to swing my body.

- In another CMA system, I had to freeze my arm and just use my body to perform upward block, downward block, right to left block, and left to right block. In other words, I had to use my body to pull/push my arm.

I don't believe that technique training and power generation training should be separated. IMO, a technique without power is useless.The moment that you try to develop your technique is the moment that you try to generate your power.
It all comes down to the individual system and how it progresses it's students. Sure for the first form in Wing Chun you don't move your body, because the entire idea of it is that you are isolating the arms. It's only once you reach the second form that you begin coordinating the arms and the stance properly. This is the Wing Chun progression. Sure in Longfist and other styles you start hopping around from day one, But look at any beginner student, they can't get the technique right anyways, so what's the point for them to start adding power?

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many years ago when someone taught me the 1st WC form, I asked him, "Why am I just moving my arm without moving my body?"

- From a different CMA system, I was taught to train Miao Diao (long single edge knife) form without holding a Miao Diao. When I did that, I had to assume that my body was the Miao Diao. To swing a Miao diao, I had to swing my body.

- In another CMA system, I had to freeze my arm and just use my body to perform upward block, downward block, right to left block, and left to right block. In other words, I had to use my body to pull/push my arm.

I don't believe that technique training and power generation training should be separated. IMO, a technique without power is useless.The moment that you try to develop your technique is the moment that you try to generate your power.
Power without technique is equally useless, if the student can't get the motion right, then there's no sense in telling them to do it harder and faster, at least in my opinion. If you can't swing a golf club slow and hit the ball, I wouldn't tell you to swing it at 110% and hurt yourself. After a few months, when the student has the technique down, then adding power to each technique in training is a must.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no power in the first video. Some of the techniques look like redirection and escape.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

At my school we train technique, speed, and power separately. The thought behind this is that power comes from technique. Students who try to generate power before technique will often try to muscle the technique which breaks technique. This means the student develops bad technique and fails to generate power. In general students naturally learn this way. 1st technique and then learn power within the the context of the technique.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
isolating the arms. ...
I don't believe any other MA system has used this approach. The moment that you have developed this habit, it's very difficult to remove it later.

One day I worked out in the gym, I was using my whole body to pull the weight pulley (as showing in the 1st picture). One body builder instructor walked toward me and told me that I did it all wrong. He told me that I should "isolating my arms" by freezing my body and just use my arms to pull the weight (as showing in the 2nd picture). When I mentioned the term "body unification", he didn't understand what I was talking about. In his mind, "muscle group isolation" is the only thing that he understood.

IMO, the "outer 3 harmonies" should be addressed in the early training stage.

The

- hand should coordinate with foot,
- elbow should coordinate with knee,
- shoulder should coordinate with hip.

When one starts to move, the other should start to move. When one stops, the other should stop at the same time.

pulley_5.jpg

weight_pulley.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my school we train technique, speed, and power separately. The thought behind this is that power comes from technique.
You don't need to generate power in all your training. But you should always "coordinate your body as one single unit" and never "isolate your arms".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking at that video, it reminded my of Wing Chun's 2nd form, "Chum Kiu". Maybe someone well versed in how WC/WT generates power can shed light on their form training of the 2nd form. Here is a video of Ip Man performing the form. As you can see, there is the same side to side turning as the other form shown in the OP along with the "isolated arm motions" that the first video had as well. Maybe understanding that could help with their power generation.

I know that many southern styles and karate styles that use a "sanchin" or "hourglass" stance use the gripping of the feet to generate an intenral spiraling energy to generate power along with what the okinawans call "chinkuchi" and what the chinese would call "fajing". It is meant for very close in fighting so it is not as pronounced as a style that is a longer range of combat with lots of full body rotation that is more visible.

I am NOT saying one method is better/worse than the other just trying to describe the approaches as best a I can...

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe any other MA system has used this approach. The moment that you have developed this habit, it's very difficult to remove it later.

One day I worked out in the gym, I was using my whole body to pull the weight pulley (as showing in the 1st picture). One body builder instructor walked toward me and told me that I did it all wrong. He told me that I should "isolating my arms" by freezing my body and just use my arms to pull the weight (as showing in the 2nd picture). When I mentioned the term "body unification", he didn't understand what I was talking about. In his mind, "muscle group isolation" is the only thing that he understood.

IMO, the "outer 3 harmonies" should be addressed in the early training stage.

The

- hand should coordinate with foot,
- elbow should coordinate with knee,
- shoulder should coordinate with hip.

When one starts to move, the other should start to move. When one stops, the other should stop at the same time.

pulley_5.jpg

weight_pulley.jpg
Actually, any style that has San Jin Keun (three war fist), (such as karate, white crane, hung gar, and most non Yip Man Wing Chun schools) practice isolating the arms in training the three key powers: Thrusting, Whipping, and Shaking.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, any style that has San Jin Keun (three war fist), (such as karate, white crane, hung gar, and most non Yip Man Wing Chun schools) practice isolating the arms in training the three key powers: Thrusting, Whipping, and Shaking.
Do you have any clip to show it?

Even in the following三战 form clip, I can still see their knees are coordinated with their elbows. Their body dropped and raised and not just frozen there. Their power come from their legs and not from their arms.

When you strikes with both arms, your body cannot rotate. You can only borrow force from the ground and utilize your knee bending and straight. When you are not stepping, your hand cannot coordinate with your foot. But your elbow can still coordinate with your knee, and your shoulder can still coordinate with your hip.

A good friend of mine trains the white crane system. I have seen his shaking power. His shaking power come from his legs.

纵鹤拳——三战_鶴拳 - 56.com

南拳系列之白鹤拳_鶴拳 - 56.com

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we look at this weight lifting clip. We can see his leg bend -> straight that's where his power came from. He didn't "freeze his body" and just use his arms muscle.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we look at this weight lifting clip. We can see his leg bend -> straight that's where his power came from. He didn't "freeze his body" and just use his arms muscle.

I don't think that's analogous. That's an exercise that requires the legs to be the exercise it is. It's not an overhead squat if you don't do the "squat" portion. A punch can be a punch without the involvement of the core. It won't have the same power, but it's still a punch (for instance, if I'm on my back and punch upward at my attacker's face).

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any clip to show it?

Even in the following三战 form clip, I can still see their knees are coordinated with their elbows. Their body dropped and raised and not just frozen there. Their power come from their legs and not from their arms.

When you strikes with both arms, your body cannot rotate. You can only borrow force from the ground and utilize your knee bending and straight. When you are not stepping, your hand cannot coordinate with your foot. But your elbow can still coordinate with your knee, and your shoulder can still coordinate with your hip.

A good friend of mine trains the white crane system. I have seen his shaking power. His shaking power come from his legs.

纵鹤拳——三战_鶴拳 - 56.com

南拳系列之白鹤拳_鶴拳 - 56.com

As you can see, some styles break down the motions, and make the motions easier to learn by breaking them up. The above clip shows a karate master doing their version of the San Jin form. All I'm saying is that techniques can be learnt first, and then slowly slowly the student adds power, until they can go 100%.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Going back to the original video, the person doing the video seems to be going through the choreography of the form more than trying to add power. They seem to be focusing more on being loose than adding power. Also i see points in which he does turn his stance to add power, but doesn't move powerfully because idk, maybe he was tired? Anyways, some styles isolate the arms for certain movements in forms to break them down, and some styles don't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't believe any other MA system has used this approach.
99% of the time we don't isolate the arms. Everything is trained as a body movement. Even with beginners we try to teach them how to do the techniques with as much body connection as possible, but however there are advanced techniques (in terms of generating power) where we just use the arms as a beginner, at least until we learn more about body movement and how to connect power. An example of such a technique is the double punch and vertical back fist. There are other techniques, but it would be difficult for me to explain without showing. These techniques are simple in motion but very advance in terms of generating power. Even though theses techniques are in the beginner form, a student won't be able to learn how to generate power for these techniques until some of the other "light bulbs" of understanding comes on.

Latest Discussions