Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where Is Christmas In Saudi Arabia?
clear.gif

Author: Donna Abu-Nasr, Associated Press Source: Newsday
clear.gif

Title: WHERE IS CHRISTMAS IN SAUDI ARABIA?

fire.gif
clear.gif
It's beginning to look a little bit like Christmas in Saudi Arabia, where Islam is the only accepted religion and non-Muslim religious activities are banned in public.

Turkeys lie in deep freezers under shelves loaded with pumpkin pie spices, cranberry sauce, stuffing mix and tinned sweet potatoes. Yule log-shaped cakes sit in patisserie cases; a couple of bare, plastic Christmas trees stand in a boutique window; and gift wraps and glittering red, green, silver and gold candles appear in stores.

The little Christmas things count in a country accused by the U.S. State Department of "particularly severe violations" of religious freedom. This year, it placed the kingdom for the first time on a list of countries that could be subject to U.S. sanctions because of religious intolerance.

Saudi Arabia has stated publicly that its policy is to protect the right of non-Muslims to worship privately. However, Defense Minister Prince Sulta also stressed that the kingdom would never allow churches to be built.
Options: [Read Full Story]
Original Thread: http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detaila.html?id=11849

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well... it IS their country and they've a right to do whatever they want within their borders. I mean jeez what's the point of having a country if you're gonna let others dictate policy for you?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's interesting to look at what happens there, and contrast it with events in this country....there are many similarities that I find frightening.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Well... it IS their country and they've a right to do whatever they want within their borders. I mean jeez what's the point of having a country if you're gonna let others dictate policy for you?
The practice of not allowing churches/synagoges/temples to be built or repaired is troubling to me. It is, I believe, part of Sharia/Islamic law. Additional civil restrictions on those who desire to practice religion other than Islam also troubles me. Of course, my understanding could be totally off base.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
It's troubling, yes, but it is what they feel is right and should be respected. We have the same thing in the US, only to a slightly lesser degree. Sure, you see catherdrals, mosques, and synagogues built here, but one pagan gathering and you'll have the neighborhood out with the torches and pitchforks. Same principle... "We don't mind if you do it in your house, but don't bring it out to the public". Does that make it right? :idunno:

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably we should invade them. We really need to liberate those oppressed people from their dictator.

P

PeachMonkey

There's probably too much evidence of actual involvement in terrorist activities for us to invade Saudi Arabia. We prefer to invade countries that don't threaten us in any way.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Bush family and associates have too much financial incentive not too. Also, I believe that the Saudis are major (like 15-20%) investors here in the US.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
There's probably too much evidence of actual involvement in terrorist activities for us to invade Saudi Arabia. We prefer to invade countries that don't threaten us in any way.
FINE. BE THAT WAY.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
Hi all,

We are establishing a beachhead amigo. Wait a few and we are going to see some stuff that will curl hair.

We are a young country and have not spread our full potential as of yet. Can you blame us for not wanting our form of society to go down the dumpster.

Forget the Book, we are the "latest and the greatest" get used to it. The rules are changing...

As we say, mess with the Bull and you get the horn...

Are you new???

Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions