Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Followers Of Zoroaster Share Faith Of 3 Wise Men
clear.gif

Author: Don Lattin Source: San Francisco Chronicle (CA)
clear.gif

Title: FOLLOWERS OF ZOROASTER SHARE FAITH OF 3 WISE MEN

Almost everyone knows about the magi, the "wise men from the East" who herald the birth of Jesus with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

But few realize that these three kings of Orient are not Christians or Jews, but Zoroastrians -- members of an ancient faith that not only survives to this day, but holds its national convention next week -- Tuesday to Saturday -- in San Jose.

Who were these pagan astrologers, following yonder star into the Gospel according to Matthew and onto the set of countless Christmas cards and nativity scenes?

And what do they have to do with Zoroastrianism, an ancient Persian faith that heavily influenced the development of Judaism and Christianity?
Options: [Read Full Story]
Original thread: http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=11859

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I caught a show on this subject over the weekend (I don't remember what channel). It was very interesting. I learned myself that the Magi were Zorastorians a long time ago.

It is interesting to read about similar beliefs and such between christianity and other religions...

Paul

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The story I'd heard, and I dont't really care if it's true or not, it's just a curiousity, is that the Magi were suspected of being descendents of Jews from the time of the Babylonian captivity; roughly followes of Daniel, and thus would've been well versed in Jewish messianic prophecy

Latest Discussions