"Where have the basiscs gone?"

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Funny how everything in this forum seems to run together. I just posted in another thread -- teaching tips, about this.

.... But the student has to have the will to practice too by themselves. They have a responsibility too. Our master would never

I suppose that is the true heart of the problem when it comes to basics. Students don't take the time to work on their own. I can understand having a busy schedule, but there comes a point where you have to decide whether sitting and watching tv or working over some basic forms or exercises is more important.

Has this lazy mentality begun to sitf up into instructors now, where it is ok to pass mediocre students and not to enforce practice on your own time?

Oh, Tiger Woman, oddly enough this thread and the teaching tips thread were both started by me. :boing2:

-Josh-

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
[font=geneva, sans-serif][font=geneva, sans-serif]Boy, do I love the smell of the sweat in our studio. Do you know what I am talking about? [/font][font=geneva, sans-serif]You know, when the whole class is working out hard and rough. Kicks and punches are flying everywhere and everyone does get into a deep horse stance. The cold outside air mixes with our body heat and makes a blanket of mist on the mirror. Do you know what I am talking about? [/font][/font]
This is best when it's your sweat that makes the steam on the windows...don't really love coming into the class that follows the class that made that steam! :rpo: It's hard to breathe! This is a good topic. I love working basics. It seems that no matter how many times we work our basics I feel like I can always learn something new.

Next time tell me I'm an idiot and to go back to my corner.
LOL Remeber this for next time...you should have just made like you meant it...Like hey what happened to the basics in basiscs? :rolleyes:

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
This is best when it's your sweat that makes the steam on the windows...don't really love coming into the class that follows the class that made that steam! :rpo: It's hard to breathe! This is a good topic. I love working basics. It seems that no matter how many times we work our basics I feel like I can always learn something new.

LOL Remeber this for next time...you should have just made like you meant it...Like hey what happened to the basics in basiscs? :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with you there MJ its no fun to come into a room that is already steamed up, it is kinda uncomfortable, on the other hand it serves for good inspiration.

as for my misspelling... perhaps i should take the basics of keyboarding again :rofl:
...ahem anyway I would like to thank eveyone so far for their input into the thread, when I first posted it I was worried that I would get flamed for getting up on my soap box.

:soapbox:

thanks again everyone.

-Josh-

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No way dude. You posted an important thread here. I hope that anyone who is thinking of getting started in the arts would come read this thread, and see how those who know and do, think about this stuff. It's all good.

OP
D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This topic is something that I feel very strongly about (which I think is pretty obvious). 85% of my time working out is spent on basics; I don't mean acting as a robot doing kicks and punches for the sake of doing them. Repetition has value, but only if the move that is being repeated is correct in form. I have noticed that when some people work basics they are working incorrect form, developing bad habits. I believe it is not enough for an instructor to simply show the proper way to execute a kick, punch or block, and make the occasional comment about form. Each person must be conscious of their own body mechanics, checking for accuracy of form as well as consistency.

For example: When executing a front ball kick (front snap kick) against a visible and tangible target we all know if we don't strike with the ball of the foot you will injure your toes. However when executing the same kick to an imaginary target, or "in the air", are you making sure that your foot is in the correct position to strike with the ball of your foot?

After a while some of these things will become automatic, muscle memory will come into play and you will execute proper form.

One thing that has helped me when working on basics is when I am doing strikes and blocks "in the air" I visualize a target, something hard, like a bag or person. This helps improve hand/foot eye coordination as well as keeping proper form.

I have found that when working with people completely knew to martial arts, this has to be explained to them. I noticed this when watching a new student work on Kicking Set 1. Against a bag or shield his kicks were perfect form, but in the air the kicks became sloppy. His mind had no focus to where his feet were going and the purpose of the movement was. After pointing this out to him, telling him to visualize a target, his kicks improved greatly.

I believe that part of the problem with basics is that we see them as purely physical exercises, something the body does with very little conscious effort from the mind. After a certain amount of time this is true, our body recognizes the positions it is supposed to take. But teaching the body to do that takes a conscious effort.

Just some more thoughts :deadhorse

-Josh-

kempojack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We start every class with basics and one of the things that I notice is some people look at this part of the class as just something they have to put up with to get to the good stuff. You can see it in their eyes as they do punches and kicks.They will throw out a kick or punch and they will be looking up at the ceiling as if saying OK thats enough of this lets learn someting new I already know how to do this. I love basics every time I due them I will find some small thing that helps me due something better more powerfully with less energy or with more speed and accuracy. We learn the basics first because they are the most important and the things we should never forget or take for granted. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
having a student work out on the basics can be a problem too-if their technique is off then they are integrating a flaw. No, basics have to be worked on in front of a teacher for corrections, tips and feeliong of the style

Latest Discussions