How does this happen?

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is one for the sports medicine people.

Discussed with some martial artists about these things we experience in training.

If you do your basics and forms without the proper stances, the technique feels weak. But when you are in the right stances, there is great strength in the technique. Why is that?

What is noticeable is that martial artists with an excellent grasp of the basics are great fighters. How does an excellent lower block with a strong front stance translate to fighting.

Not trying to troll or challenge anyone. I know that in order to have proper technique you have to master the basics and forms. But what I want to know is how does that happen?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Proper Body Mechanics is engineering using our bodies rather than beams, levers, etc

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one for the sports medicine people.

Discussed with some martial artists about these things we experience in training.

If you do your basics and forms without the proper stances, the technique feels weak. But when you are in the right stances, there is great strength in the technique. Why is that?

What is noticeable is that martial artists with an excellent grasp of the basics are great fighters. How does an excellent lower block with a strong front stance translate to fighting.

Not trying to troll or challenge anyone. I know that in order to have proper technique you have to master the basics and forms. But what I want to know is how does that happen?
Structure = body mechanics = balance = power.
All blocks are not what they seem to be.
You are taking one segment of fighting and freezing it in place as in the block and stance. Being fluid comes with time.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Proper Body Mechanics is engineering using our bodies rather than beams, levers, etc

Structure = body mechanics = balance = power.
All blocks are not what they seem to be.
You are taking one segment of fighting and freezing it in place as in the block and stance. Being fluid comes with time.

Thank you both for clearing that up.

Just so that we are on the same page.

Let us assume that we have a martial artist who trains in their basics which include stances, blocks, strikes and forms. Eventually, the martial artist is able to do these techniques with fluidity and that shows up in the sparring.

Even though the martial artist is not in their stances when they are sparring, they are able to properly fight because of the fluidity and learning the proper body mechanics in their basics and forms.

Which is why basics and forms are so important.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like anything else, except golf, the more you spar, the better you will get at it. You'll be in your stances when you spar, you may not notice it, but, you will.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about karate or striking, but in grappling, proper mechanics are essential. You're taught the technique, focusing on the details that make a technique work, and then you incorporate it into your sparring.

What happens, though, is that your leverage points are going to be different than mine. Someone who is shorter, taller, stronger, leaner, more flexible or whatever, is going to need to figure out how to make a technique work for his or her specific physical makeup.

The trick isn't to make something work without proper form. Instead, it's to distill what makes the form proper and incorporate that into your sparring.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Like anything else, except golf, the more you spar, the better you will get at it. You'll be in your stances when you spar, you may not notice it, but, you will.

You raise an interesting point. Forgot who it was but there was one post where the person mentioned that basics and forms although they seem exaggerated are conditioning your muscles. And you are not going to be doing a front stance when you fight but it is there.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In terms of Wing Chun when you are in your stance your centre of gravity is lowered , along with a slight contraction of the internal muscles.

This increases stability and locks the lower and upper half of the body together maximising power in attack and defence.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In terms of Wing Chun when you are in your stance your centre of gravity is lowered , along with a slight contraction of the internal muscles.

This increases stability and locks the lower and upper half of the body together maximising power in attack and defence.
I don't know about you, but all of my muscles are internal. ;)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but all of my muscles are internal. ;)

To clarify , it is a slight contraction of the anal sphincter which is called Tei Gong.
It unites the upper and lower body and enables the other muscles of the body to relax.
Relaxed muscles are conducive to the cultivation and use of Nim Lik which is Wing Chun mind force.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To clarify , it is a slight contraction of the anal sphincter which is called Tei Gong.
It unites the upper and lower body and enables the other muscles of the body to relax.
Relaxed muscles are conducive to the cultivation and use of Nim Lik which is Wing Chun mind force.
Like a kegel?

Latest Discussions