When you don't want to train...

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
... how do you psych yourself up to go ahead and do it anyway?

I'm new to martial arts (started Wing Chun about 2 months ago), and I've found that the initial enthusiasm is wearing off, but I haven't yet reached the stage where perceived progress can keep me going. Translation: I'm at the I suck stage :)

Motivation to train is pretty much at rock bottom, but I've discovered I can trick myself into enthusiasm by playing loud upbeat slightly aggressive music to get myself into a more positive state of mind before going to class and have started to build myself an appropriate playlist on my ipod with that in mind!

A friend has also started drip feeding me martial arts films on DVD which is also helping me want to put the work in to move out of the general-incompetence-will-trip-over-my-own-feet-if-possible phase.

I was wondering what other people did to keep up momentum when you were starting out, or just if you have a rough week when you can't be bothered. Any great tips?

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two thoughts.

One, you just don't feel like going. Show up anyways. Often, you will find the energy of other students might carry you through. Also, once you get moving, you will feel better.

Two, if you're really stuck, make sure you don't have some other significant health issue. If not, then you might really just need a break. There's no problem in taking a couple days off. Make sure it's a planned break with a planned return. If you don't plan the return, you might find the break is longer than you expect.

Best of luck.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all you definitely don't suck in any regards!

Once you understand that, what your going through is a natural training process that everybody starts out at. And maybe some like myself are still at, lol just kidding.

You can't become a Master overnight, or from books, etc...

Only from top level training from a knowledgeable Instructor.

What I mean by top level training is training with hard work, dedication, intent on learning everything.

That has to be part of the formula to begin with.

As far as motivation, I run low quite frequently. The best advice I could offer for that is one of two things.

1st find a training partner that would share in your enthusiasm and dedication to training. That way they can keep you going when your running low and you can do likewise.

2nd take some time and really think about the reasons why you want to train and what goals you wish to obtain. Your goals have to be first in your mind and they have to be strong enough to keep you going.

Once those are in effect, you'll feel more purpose and logic in your training.

Good luck!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The hardest part of any workout is getting started. :)

Dress for the part (gym, wear gym shorts...martial arts, get yer gi on)

Crank up your favorite music.

And, as Nike says, "Just do it!"

Once you get started you may find you were glad you did by the time you're done.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ditto on what Tensei said about understanding your motivation in taking the class. If it turns out to have evolved into something different from what originally brought you in the door, there's nothing wrong with that (rather, it would show a lot of growth in the art, methinks.) And if you don't fully understand your motivation you'll be dangling the wrong carrot before yourself and it won't be effective.

Here is what worked for me ...

Above all else, I'm careful to maintain the habit of going. Once that's gone, forget it. So even on days when the weather is terrible, I'm in a bad mood, and what have you I've made a covenant with myself to show up no matter what. Once I get there, 98% of the time everything falls into place and I have fun.

Yeah, you probably do suck after just two months. So what? Everyone sucks after just two months. There's nothing wrong with that. When I hit the 2-month mark, I tweaked my back really badly and spent almost a month on the sidelines. I think it's one of the best things that could have happened for my practice, because I quickly discovered that everyone sucks. There were a couple students who had been there for several years, but everyone else was a novice like me. If I hadn't had a chance to notice so many other people waddling around like penguins, I might have gotten self-conscious enough to quit altogether. (I'm a brutal perfectionist.) Instead, that view pushed me through to a new spiritual level of appreciating the process intrinsically. So don't worry about how you look, and stop watching Bruce Lee movies for a while. :) You're at a unique point in your training and your life, and you'll look back on this fondly some day. See where it takes you.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The days you don't feel like training are the days you must train even harder. It's called mental toughness. A self defense situation does not wait for when you are mentally ready, wearing the right shoes and have the advantage in the setting.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, you probably do suck after just two months. So what? Everyone sucks after just two months.

I love that response, Flea! Really, not only because it made me laugh, but also because it's true!

I remember having similar struggles. Every time, I would just find one reason to go. Sometimes it was to see a training partner, sometimes to hopefully finish a form, sometimes b/c I knew I'd get to release a little aggression, sometimes just because I did not want to quit (and skipping class is the first step of quitting).

Now, it's been a part of my life so long, I just go. It's just one of the things I do. (knock on wood!) I enjoy my classes. They're a highlight in my week.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I don't want to train I go and watch Youtube fights and I think how I don't want to be like that.

You can watch any anime because they all have the same message never give up,count on your friends,you can do it message.

I just woke up so I think my input is skewed.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually had the opposite problem and overtrain! :) However, a good training partner can help get you in gear and motivate you.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I don't want to train I go and watch Youtube fights and I think how I don't want to be like that.

You can watch any anime because they all have the same message never give up,count on your friends,you can do it message.

I just woke up so I think my input is skewed.

As far as Anime,

I'm still working on the ability to fly and shoot energy blasts out of my hands, I would say 20 more years of watching Anime and I'll be able to catch onto the mechanics of it. I'll post a vid when it happens...

OP
RubberDuck

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all, lots of great advice and lots of things to think about :)

I definitely think the regular habit regardless of how I feel is the way to go - no taking days off, not this early on - as I know if I give myself "permission" to skip, then I'll take advantage. Know thy weaknesses and all that! I also know that I get so much more out of the class if I'm in the right frame of mind before I go, hence trying to find ways to trick myself into feeling motivated!

Good point about working out why I am there and working out goals based on that. There's a whole host of reasons I started going, but primarily because it sounded fun and a good way to be fit for a purpose rather than for the sake of it. Hmm, thinking about it, my motivation has dropped quite a lot since talk has been focusing on the upcoming gradings coming up - so maybe that has something to do with it.

No gi - just wear normal clothes to my class (tracksuit bottoms/t-shirt/trainers) - which has its pros and cons, I guess.

Oh I do have one motivation to go - the person who lends me the DVDs I only know through the class, so I have to go back to get the next one off her ;) (never watched a martial art movie in MY LIFE before I started this class, so that's not my motivation, promise!)

Great idea to focus on the little things to look forward too as well, thank you hkfuie :)

OP
RubberDuck

RubberDuck

White Belt
Reaction score
As far as Anime,

I'm still working on the ability to fly and shoot energy blasts out of my hands, I would say 20 more years of watching Anime and I'll be able to catch onto the mechanics of it. I'll post a vid when it happens...

HAHA... I felt like that after watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - so that's where I'm going wrong, I need a wire and pulley system :D

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But I'm as guilty as the next guy, I have over 1,000 Wu Xia movies and my collection continues to grow that's not even counting my anime collection!! I need help... :uhyeah:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
knowing you suck is the first step to mastery grasshopper

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah... there are days when I get bummed out,and feel flat out whooped....
A couple of things that motivate me are;for every day I don't train,I feel like I have to play catch up especially when stretching....also remind yourself some is better than nothing......maybe just sit-ups today..or just chain punches it doesn't always have to be intense...that is your choice,remember taking an entire day off once in a while...no reason to feel guilty,sometimes it's rejuvenating for the mind as well as the body.Read a good martial art book...shadow box,do something easy,be good to yourself,absorb instead of chunks.Well rounded and balanced,That's my two cents.....

PurpleParham84

White Belt
Reaction score
The best thing that helps/has helped me is training at schools that follow a strict curriculum. Just knowing that I am missing something, and other students are learning something that I am not infuriated me, especially when I would show up next class with a target on my back to be someone's test dummy.

But as I progressed, I found that the curriculum still keeps me going back, even when it repeats itself months down the road. Also, I have progressed and am fortunate enough to be an instructor and mentor to other students. Having responsibility and an obligation to go is the best motivation.

Latest Discussions