Whats your fave technique...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My fave technique is the one that lands! :)

Until I get better, I guess it's the quick jab that sneaks in there.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The infamous 360 roundhouse, though it not used much in sparring competitions, or in a real life situation. It's fun to do, but by the time you complete the flashy move you're susceptible to getting blasted by a counter-attack.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spinning hook kick or a slidding side kick. If my opponent gets used the slidding side kick, I throw a slidding hook. Works 9 times out of 10.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sprouting kick...
but from now on it's going to be a the toppling kick.

hmm... maybe it's not too obvious what these are.

sprouting kick: yield to an incoming punch, hook it to make the opponent's weight on the front leg. use the uprooting kick to uproot that front leg, while the other arm (front arm now) is pushing the neck backwards.

i do not know if that makes any sense in writing.

Toppling kick: pushing the upper body of the opponent in front of you, while sweeping his legs towards your back.

coldsteel87

White Belt
Reaction score
Techniques are useful but having a favorite may make you predictable. My favorite technique.......Not getting hit.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
coldsteel87 said:
Techniques are useful but having a favorite may make you predictable. My favorite technique.......Not getting hit.
the question is, how often does it succeed?

coldsteel87

White Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
the question is, how often does it succeed?

That all depends on your decisions, quickness, sometimes luck, and the abilities of your opponent. I am not trying to say that i dont get hit. I am simply trying to say that a set technique usually depends on how your opponent moves. Let it come out naturally. your body will now what to do most of the time from training. Half the time your "favorite technique" will come out just cause of muscle memory. If it worked, then you didnt get hit. But try and be versitile cause if that technique keeps coming out your opponent will soon discover the pattern.

kempocomtai

White Belt
Reaction score
One of my fave technique is a lighting kick my friend made me learn it and to tell the truth I dont think it can be blocked with out breaking what ever it hit to make a long story short its very useful

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
sprouting kick...
but from now on it's going to be a the toppling kick.

hmm... maybe it's not too obvious what these are.

sprouting kick: yield to an incoming punch, hook it to make the opponent's weight on the front leg. use the uprooting kick to uproot that front leg, while the other arm (front arm now) is pushing the neck backwards.

i do not know if that makes any sense in writing.

Toppling kick: pushing the upper body of the opponent in front of you, while sweeping his legs towards your back.

ah.. i found a picture of grand master Lee executing the sprouting kick... hopefully this is better than me "trying" to explain it
http://www.seven-star.de/leekamwing/grafik1/photogallery5/appb3.gif

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy twist kicks and spinning crescents. Those are my two favorite.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
When sparring... Mine has to be the front thrust kick or the back kick.

A backfist with the front hand (horizontal rather than vertical). It's fast and often takes the person off guard, it's then followed by a jab to the mid-section with the other hand. It's actually Bruce Lee's Dragon Fist/Upsetting punch.

Another favorite I believe I described months ago is a simple leap right into their face. You hop from as far back as you can to as close as you can, bringing your knees up very high, then punch twice to the chest before you fully land. It's very intimidating, and no kick comes out so while they are ready to block a kick they are getting a double punch. I've seen more than one person just freeze and crumble under this one.

Honestly, and I may take flack for this, my favorite technique is intimidation. I furrow my brow and stare right into their eyes like I plan to murder them and maybe even allow a little sneer to cross my lips.. It has some people backing up before they even get started. I am aware that in a real fighting situation, fear may be your opponent's undoing. So I practice intimidation as well.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
round kick to the head ...umm off the line side kick under the elbow to the floating rib area

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine depends. For forms hands down the side kick. For knockdown karate sparring hook kick to the head. Kickboxing either a stiff jab or an axe kick.