What's wrong with 'Chunners...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This coming Sunday I will be attending an FMA gathering at a city park in my town. This is about the forth one we've had, all organized for free by a great guy that just wants to support the Filipino Martial Arts and related arts... everybody is welcome. Each time people from a lot of different systems gather, we have a big potluck BBQ, senior instructors give free workshops in their systems, people meet, share stuff, and have a great time with their families. It's totally cool.

Now what's wrong with us 'chunners that we can't put our stylistic differences aside and do something like that. Maybe it happens, but if it does, nobody ever talks about it. We're too busy talking about how great our lineage is and how everybody else stinks! Heck, I've met more 'chunners at events like this FMA gathering than anywhere else. Do we have an attitude problem, or what?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only contact I have had is here on MT, and that may speak for itself. Openness and sharing equates to growth. Closed mindedness stems from old warrior mentality of which leads to narrow mindedness. An open forum is for the benefit of everyone, to understand the big picture of the MA that we all seek to make better. These are my observations made in the spirit of respect toward all who love martial arts. :asian:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
FMA is derived from a myriad of styles spread throughout the islands. Most modern Wing Chun comes from Yip Man. FMA egos are already conditioned to accept others will do it different, you can't claim to do it the 'right' way when every village around you has been doing as long as your's has. Chunner egos are still trying to distinguish their 'style'. Give it another 20 years, and the death of most of the first generation Yip Man students. Chunners will start collaborating a lot more.

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Simple....MONEY.

Of all the martial arts I have come into contact over the last 20+ years I would have to say that _ing _un (and some BJJ nowadays) is the most money oreintated I have come across.

An unpleasant side effect being backbitting and narrow mindedness.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
This coming Sunday I will be attending an FMA gathering at a city park in my town. This is about the forth one we've had, all organized for free by a great guy that just wants to support the Filipino Martial Arts and related arts... everybody is welcome. Each time people from a lot of different systems gather, we have a big potluck BBQ, senior instructors give free workshops in their systems, people meet, share stuff, and have a great time with their families. It's totally cool.

Now what's wrong with us 'chunners that we can't put our stylistic differences aside and do something like that. Maybe it happens, but if it does, nobody ever talks about it. We're too busy talking about how great our lineage is and how everybody else stinks! Heck, I've met more 'chunners at events like this FMA gathering than anywhere else. Do we have an attitude problem, or what?

Lets not forget egotistical too Geezer. Many 'Chunner's will discount any and all other styles (...or interpretations of their own style) without ever seeing or trying it. I liken it to how my kids say that dislike certain foods when we both know damn well they never tried it before. They won't even look at or smell it, let alone taste it. Although it happens in all arts, I see it more often than not with WC, WT, VT...ect.

Then there is that belief of one master (usually Ip Man) creating/improving a style that is eternally better than the rest and no man that come after can ever add or subtract for improvement. Add with that the blind faith and psuedo-loyalty to that blindness and VIOLA!

For the record, I have yet to eat a food or experience a martial art I did not like to some extent!

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Simple....MONEY.

Of all the martial arts I have come into contact over the last 20+ years I would have to say that _ing _un (and some BJJ nowadays) is the most money oreintated I have come across.

An unpleasant side effect being backbitting and narrow mindedness.

I would say "more than some" when it comes to BJJ!!! Look at the seminar pricing compared to most JKD seminars! We have a Gracie Barra gym here in town and to train there is nearly a car payment! Screw that! The cheapest two places near me are my old WC kwoon and a local FMA club. Ironicaly, they are both recognized as the best in the area for the styles they teach, and I'd agree with that.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chunners are no different than anyone else. The only thing wrong is that they allow others to do their thinking for them. Happens with religions,cults etc.
There have been many friendly get together's among the open minded and those that have tried to be open minded. I believe there were even some get together events in Phoenix not to many years ago.

The only problem is that they buy into the belief that their wing chun comes from Yip Mans best,oldest,last student etc so that someone means that the wing chun they are learning is better than other versions.

The hands will tell . FMA types follow that. JKD types know that. However because of the belief system that comes along with many wing chun schools wing chun folks don't follow that. I can not tell you how many people I have touched hands with that thought they just needed to train more , believed their teacher must have the answer or just needed to go back to the castle for another 6 months and then they would be able to perform they way they expected to perform.

All humans are the same. There is a correct way to use the body and incorrect ways. All humans have the same limitations. One plus One is 2 and a student must understand this and think for themselves. Any time a teacher tells you something that sounds like 1+1=3 a person must question it . The more that do that the fewer problems and more advanced learning there will be.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chunners are no different than anyone else...The only problem is that they buy into the belief that their wing chun comes from Yip Mans best,oldest,last student etc so the wing chun they are learning is better than other versions.

This attitude that "My branch is better than your branch" is by no means unique to Wing Chun, but it is all too prevalent.

The hands will tell . FMA types follow that. JKD types know that. However because of the belief system that comes along with many wing chun schools wing chun folks don't follow that.

The hands will tell. When I cross bridges with someone who is better than me we both know it in an instant. Then I can either make excuses, or open my mind and ask questions. I prefer the latter approach. But some folks won't share unless you buy into their belief system... and exchange one closed-minded and cultish community for another.

Regarding students who react to your superior chi-sau skill by thinking that they just need to practice and learn a bit more of their own system... that isn't so illogical. They may have si-hings and si-fus who are highly skilled too. Just because they meet someone from a different lineage who can also beat them is not a reason to abandon their school and lineage. Now if you can so easily defeat all the higher ranking people of the other lineages, then you may have a point. Are you that skilled?

All humans are the same. There is a correct way to use the body and incorrect ways. All humans have the same limitations. One plus One is 2 and a student must understand this and think for themselves.

I don't know... in my experience, humans have vastly different limitations and abilities. I really don't believe that there is a single system or approach to martial arts that is equally advantageous for everybody. Hunt, this just sounds like more of the "my way is the correct way" thinking I thought you were opposed to. Or, like most folks, are you just opposed the way all the other guys think? Honestly now!

Any time a teacher tells you something that sounds like 1+1=3 a person must question it . The more that do that the fewer problems and more advanced learning there will be.

Yeah, but the problem is most schools don't really encourage questioning. Sure a sifu might welcome questions about technique and application within the kwoon, but how many would be comfortable with you taking lessons at the other guy's kwoon to compare results? Heck, most of the guys I've met don't even want you to practice with students from other branches. Sheesh!

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Regarding students who react to your superior chi-sau skill by thinking that they just need to practice and learn a bit more of their own system... that isn't so illogical. They may have si-hings and si-fus who are highly skilled too. Just because they meet someone from a different lineage who can also beat them is not a reason to abandon their school and lineage. Now if you can so easily defeat all the higher ranking people of the other lineages, then you may have a point. Are you that skilled?

Not saying abandon. However on what basis and why would you think that your school has all the answers or any. Other than stories about great fighters what evidence is there of any of these great wing chun teachers fighting and defeating skilled fighters of other styles or families. I know folks give impressive demos against compliant students but that is just more BS. If you are lucky enough to cross hands against some one better from a different school I would think you would try your hardest to learn what they were doing and how they were doing it. That's what I did and still would do. As for my skills. I used to travel the world for business and touched hands everywhere I could. I ran adds in Chicago newspapers looking for sparring partners or fights with anyone of any style that was interested. I had an open door open mat policy when I had a school in Florida (don't teach the public anymore to much work) anyone that wanted to try me could under any rules they wanted. I have never been given reason to seek out any teachers other than the ones I had or to learn another martial style save ground grappling which everyone should spend some time learning the basics of.

I don't know... in my experience, humans have vastly different limitations and abilities. I really don't believe that there is a single system or approach to martial arts that is equally advantageous for everybody. Hunt, this just sounds like more of the "my way is the correct way" thinking I thought you were opposed to. Or, like most folks, are you just opposed the way all the other guys think? Honestly now!

You are not understanding or missing the point. All humans have the same limitations based on the same anatomy. Sure some are closer than others to the limits of human anatomy based on what they are born with or have trained up but the limits are the same for all. Unless you are saying that those that do wing chun are not human? Can training make up for a difference in athletic ability yes it can to some degree. This is where learning to use the body in the way it was designed comes into play. Optimize body usage and you can make up for a lack of athletic ability.

A person can prove this to themselves with a small amount of study. You will find for example that the correct body usage and alignment is the same and is taught the same in many different athletic activities. Proper stance to shoot a gun,proper technique for offensive line blocking, olympic lifting , power lifting, golf, wrestling ,wing chun. All share the same stance alignment and basic hip usage. Can you take your wing chun stance and without making any changes do all these other activities properly? If so then all is good. If not then you can either turn a blind eye and say 'he doesn't know what he is talking about my wing chun is just fine or you can investigate yourself. When I learned the correct alignment I was able to lower my golf handicap from a 17 to a 10 in one day just by changing my body alignment.

You are right there is no one system that is better than any other but there is indeed a proper way to use your body and a proper body structure and body alignment.

Yeah, but the problem is most schools don't really encourage questioning.

Is a school that doesn't encouraging questioning a school one should go to? I don't think so. Would you go to a university that didnt let you ask questions? No one would do that. So why is the standard for the teaching
and passing on of knowledge different for a wing chun school than any other school?

Last edited:

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yea, we have the same problem in Michigan. To be honest I don't think there is anyone correct answer for this semi CMA, etc... (political, egoic issue lol)

However I will state that I have seen the same thing in Tong Long, Bai Mei & even Bagua of all styles, as in Wing Chun.

It's truly sad, there is a lot of knowledge & skills to share between families & systems. I think people are slowly starting to share more with others, so it seems like change is happening its just slower than wanted for most. But we'll get there as long as we realize were all chugging a long on this road together maybe some are farther than others but were still on the same road.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
good question, it's like any "disfunctional family", the parents fight among themselves and can't agree on much at all, so how can you expect the siblings to do any better? the parents pass on these failed notions to the next generation and they end up doing the same thing.

the wing chun/ving tsun "leadership" has failed horribly which has led to a "disfunctional community".

how can other martial arts systems take the wing chun/ving tsun community seriously when we can't even work together? they see us fighting amongst ourselves, chastising students for studying with other sifus or systems, they see how we "claim" to know what really works, yet we don't put ourselves on the line.

All the greats in our system put themselves in harms way and tested themselves in bare knuckle fights, yet we today, don't even bother to get in the ring with safety gear. Did Yip Man, WSL, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung, Gary Lam and others avoid "bare knuckle" fights? did they say, "hey..our stuff is way too dangerous to use." no way..yet that's exactly what we do, so how the heck do you think we "come off" to the martial arts community? like hypocrites.

it will be up to us, the future "leaders" of the community to put aside the political silliness and work together to create "momentum". By creating a new generation of quality "Fighter/Teachers" who can inspire the next generation to do the same.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
good question, it's like any "disfunctional family", the parents fight among themselves and can't agree on much at all, so how can you expect the siblings to do any better? the parents pass on these failed notions to the next generation and they end up doing the same thing.

the wing chun/ving tsun "leadership" has failed horribly which has led to a "disfunctional community".

how can other martial arts systems take the wing chun/ving tsun community seriously when we can't even work together? they see us fighting amongst ourselves, chastising students for studying with other sifus or systems, they see how we "claim" to know what really works, yet we don't put ourselves on the line.

All the greats in our system put themselves in harms way and tested themselves in bare knuckle fights, yet we today, don't even bother to get in the ring with safety gear. Did Yip Man, WSL, Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung, Gary Lam and others avoid "bare knuckle" fights? did they say, "hey..our stuff is way too dangerous to use." no way..yet that's exactly what we do, so how the heck do you think we "come off" to the martial arts community? like hypocrites.

it will be up to us, the future "leaders" of the community to put aside the political silliness and work together to create "momentum". By creating a new generation of quality "Fighter/Teachers" who can inspire the next generation to do the same.
Yielding yet powerful, and to the point.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Nice! I like the way you put it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, I've met more 'chunners at events like this FMA gathering than anywhere else.
w2

I'd like to invite everyone to come over to the (FMA) dark side.

It will be good for your art :D

:jediduel:

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
w2

I'd like to invite everyone to come over to the (FMA) dark side.

It will be good for your art :D

:jediduel:

Hear hear! And equally, I would encourage my FMA friends to investigate WC (if they haven't already).

I just came back form the "Gathering" and had a great time, and saw and learned a lot. Now coming from a WC perspective, some of what I saw was complex and indirect. Some of the pattens... both sinawali with sticks and hubud with empty hands left me unimpressed, however fun it was to practice. The cool thing was that questioning was encouraged. At least if aproached politely and discretely. I was able to find time to speak privately with the instructor/presenters and they were really open to explaining where they were coming from and the objective of these drills. In a couple of cases they showed me the "advanced" or streamlined version of a technique and it made perfect sense.

Now, if I can generalize about the kind of drills that I didn't appreciate so much... that would be most anything that was unduly complex or indirect and that didn't appear realistic to apply against a non-compliant opponent. Even the standard hubud drills seem like patty-cake and use about four moves to accomplish what chi-sau does in one or two movements.

The typical justification given is that "like chi-sau, hubud is a sensitivity/flow drill, not fighting." Accepted. But chi-sau does have a clear objective. It is not to stick but to find an opening and hit! ...as efficiently as possible. Practicing patterns that add a couple if extra "pak-sau" like movements to make an opening violate this objective. My own FMA training (in Latosa and Torres--DTE styles of eskrima) is based on the same principles of economy and directness as WC, although distinct in other ways. Personally, I find myself always coming back to the famous WC/VT/WT kuit translated in my lineage as "Stay with what comes, follow the retreat, and thrust forward when the hand is freed". I don't see anything in there that says "and add two or three extra movements before you hit." On the positive side, I also learned some movements that did show me more efficient ways to move. Cool stuff.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why is it so hard for anyone of ANY BASE STYLE to "look at" another style? The only problem with arts I see that are new to me is that I want to train them all more! :uhyeah:

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why is it so hard for anyone of ANY BASE STYLE to "look at" another style? The only problem with arts I see that are new to me is that I want to train them all more! :uhyeah:

My biggest problem is my limited abilty to quickly absorb and assimilate new information, especially as I get older. Second is the reality that to get good, you have to move automatically or instinctively. If you study systems that teach very different or even conflicting types of movement in the same situation, you can never hope to reach this automatic, reflexive kind of response.

My solution is to assuage my curiosity by looking at a lot of different stuff, but I'm very selective about what I study. Not that I can presume to pick only "the best", but rather that I seek out systems that are simple, practical and complement my base. Even then, I wish I were more gifted and had more time to learn this stuff!

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you focus and study the "techniques" or what's "different" from art to art, you will be missing the boat.

if you focus and study the "movement" or what's "similar" from art to art, you will see the underlying "concepts" that make each and every movement work.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is off topic, but does MT ever have get togethers for training?
That would be great to meet everyone, train & learn. Oh Ya also don't forget the beers! I think Bob :mst: said he was buying!!!

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest problem is my limited abilty to quickly absorb and assimilate new information, especially as I get older. Second is the reality that to get good, you have to move automatically or instinctively. If you study systems that teach very different or even conflicting types of movement in the same situation, you can never hope to reach this automatic, reflexive kind of response.

My solution is to assuage my curiosity by looking at a lot of different stuff, but I'm very selective about what I study. Not that I can presume to pick only "the best", but rather that I seek out systems that are simple, practical and complement my base. Even then, I wish I were more gifted and had more time to learn this stuff!

Geezer, I was coming from an angle of "My art is complete...so I have no reason to look at another."....you know, a stab at the politics side of things? For example, the mere mention of training BJJ as a suplement to WC/WT, and the instant blinders that are put on?

I was pointing to the fact of little mutual respect for other arts outside one's own and the difficultys of getting people to even look objectively, how it happens in all arts, but seems pretty magnified in the WC world...at least internet WC anyways.