What's next?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just ran across this on another forum. Somebody is convinced that the WiFi network is evil and the WiFi signal is making everybody sick. She posted this link and I foolishly followed it thinking WTF why not see what the crazy half is thinking. Man talk about taking the little tinfoil hat to new extremes. I always joked about Stainless Steel undies, but these cats are serious. http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html

I know we have some rather studied individuals here on Martial Talk and I want your opinion if you don't mind. Is the electromagnetic "pollution" affecting peoples health? Personally as an Electrician, and a bit of a computer nerd, I do know we live in a world awash with electromagnetic signals everywhere, but don't feel like it is any big deal unless you happen to live where you have to duck every time the radar dish swings around. Thoughts, observations, musings....

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
These people are pretty crazy. As you say the world is awash with electro-magnetic fields, the planet generates one as does every living thing on it. If there is a danger I would have to say it is too late to do anything now.

Magnetics has been used to alleviate pain from arthritis and rheumatism so it can clearly have an effect on the human body but I would suggest that for the most part the effects are negligible.

Mind you I would be standing in front of any of those big radio transmitters or telescopes if I wanted to stay healthy. I figure they probably have enough oomph to at least give you a bad headache. don't know if the tinfoil undies would help either.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heinlein beat 'em all to it... I forget the name of the short story, but it was in his Future History, in a world where power is delivered through the air, not wires.

We've been bombarded by EM radiation throughout the history of the planet; the sun blasts out huge amounts on a daily basis. Even some rocks and ores radiate... If anything, I'd suspect we require a certain amount of some EM radiations for health.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I agree with both of you. But there is always that niggling doubt in there sometimes. Being an Electrician I sometimes use those little non-contact testers that light up and give a beep when there is voltage present. Usually they are only effective from 50+ volts, and will not do anything below that threshold. Kind of unnerving when you walk 5 feet in front of a TV and the thing, while in your shirt pocket goes off. Makes you wonder.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a reasonably accepted fact that some EM radiation is good for you and can work to prevent the onset of cancer.

The flip side is also true i.e. that an excess of those types of radiation are bad for you. Overhead lines and mobile-phone towers are the worst offenders in most populated areas but your TV and CRT monitors are not that great for you either.

Without going to the site I can't say what nutty claims are being made but the less-than-good side-effects of EMR is taken seriously enough over here that siting phone masts near schools is illegal and building too near pylons is frowned upon.

I'd be interested in seeing a study of the health effects on power T & D workers mind you. They're immersed in powerful fields all day long - walk around a substation with a flourescent tube and it'll light up {or walk too close to a transformer and the negative long-term health effects of electrical fields will cease to concern you :eek:}.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I agree with both of you. But there is always that niggling doubt in there sometimes. Being an Electrician I sometimes use those little non-contact testers that light up and give a beep when there is voltage present. Usually they are only effective from 50+ volts, and will not do anything below that threshold. Kind of unnerving when you walk 5 feet in front of a TV and the thing, while in your shirt pocket goes off. Makes you wonder.
I'm not at all surprised that the tester goes of near a tv... TVs have LOTS of juice, whether they're on or off. And all a CRT type of TV consists of is an electron gun and phosphor gun.