what type of stretching for higher kicks?

OP
S

Shane Smith

I am a firm believer in warming up with static stretches followed by dynamic work.The key to mind at that point, is to wind down with more static stretches. I stretch until it is mildly uncomfortable and hold it until the pain passes.I then stretch a bit further. It works for me.

OP
A

ABI

I own a book written by the most flexible man I've ever seen. This book is about stretching and kicking. I really recommend it for everyone. The author is a kickboxing legend, and he also explains the stretching scientifically - He studied Anatomy, Physiology and Kinesiology.

The book title is: Dynamic Stretching & Kicking - By Bill "Superfoot" Wallace.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some great books on stretching and higher kicking flexibility. Thomas Kurz is probably the best authority on stretching, flexibility, and high kicks in the world today. Sang H. Kim also has some good books on stretching and flexibility.

To get your kicks higher do dynamic stretches in the morning and in the afternoon. Also look into doing strengthening exercises to help build the muscles that you need to get your kicks higher. If you are also not doing any type of resistance training now would be a good time to start. Once you have some strength then you can look into doing isometric/PNF style stretching. You can do static satretching after any workout or when you feel like stretching, but it should not be done within 3 hours prior to your workout.

Most of the time it is not flexibility that keeps people form kicking higher, it is a lack of strength in their hips and groins. Just something to keep in mind.

pczerwin

White Belt
Reaction score
I just purchased Elastic Steel and I have to say, it shows a great deal of potential. I have been a MA for 11 years now and I have learned a few things along the way.

First of all, everyone mentioned warming up before being able to achieve higher kicks. I think it is important to explain that warmping up isn't just stretching. It is very important to warm up your body with exercises like running, jumping jacks - anything that can be done in a short amount of time that will warm up your muscles before you begin your stretching warm up. The fastest way to an injured body is a cold one.

That being said, it is also important to warm up all your muscles. Core muscles especially. People always work on their stomach muscles but many forget about their back muscles which are equally as important.

I have the Tom Kurtz book. I found it to be just ok. Nothing new. I also have just about every Sang H. Kim tape out there and while I love him and his workouts, his stretching tape also left me needing more.

I have also puchased the series that uses Kettlebells, I am sorry, the name escapes me for the moment. His phylosophy which I found interesting as well as effective, is to stretch, tighten the muscle you are using, holding it for about 10 seconds, then let it go and stretch a bit further. This can easily be done with whatever stretching you are presently doing and the results do come.

Back to the elasticsteel. Every stretch is explained which I really like. Knowledge is power. He also stresses strength which I think is key to high kicks as well as a good split. And finally, each exercise works both sides of the leg. I often find most of the stretching tapes I have, only work the inside of your thigh, leaving me in pain with little to show for it.

Someone mentioned partner stretching, having your partner go down into a squat as you place your leg on their shoulder. This is also a great stretch for higher kicks. However, don't forget to work all the angles of your leg. Let them stretch you first, facing them. Then again with your leg turned to a round house kick, again, with a side kick and finally, facing away from them, in a back kick stance. That way you work all the muscles from your hip flexiors to your bottom.

In the past 10.5 years I have never been able to get that perfect split. I have always been just a little off - but in the last half year, following the strengthing method as well as warming up my muscles before I stretch and paying close attention to stretching the inside, outside, back and sides of my legs, has finally brought me to a full split - and more relaxed, powerful and higher kicks.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that dynamic stretching helps higher kicks but I'm just starting out in MA and my legs are ridicoulsy unflexible. bending down I can get my hands about 2-3 inches from my feet and I can get my sidekicks slightly more than waist level but they lack any power. I've heard that I should do some static stretching to get myself a basis of flexibility first before doing dynamic ones. is that true? or should I only do dynamic?

Try to take advantage of the immediate stretching benfits. Before your martial arts class do some dynamic stretching.

It has the following benifits:
1. Increased neural firing.
2. Increased Coordination.
3. Stability
4. Muscle lengthening
5. Improved body awareness
6. Better Balance
7. Improved agility and quickness

Static stretching should be reserved for after class. If you do too much static stretching before class it will make your legs feel like loose rubber bands and very weak.

These are reason not to do static stretching before your class.
1.Weakens the nervous system
2.Mild fatigue
3.Decreased coordination
4.Decreased Agility
5.decrease in quickness
6.Weakens stretch reflex

You may be able get away with some light static streching before class, but nothing extreme like trying to do splits (Unless you can already do full splits easily).

I hope that helps.

Good Luck,
Rabbit

sinistersamuri

White Belt
Reaction score
:whip1:hi. in regards to higher kicking. for me personanally, at our dojo we have leg stretch machines. they look like some medevil torture device. its a seat and leg supports with a wheel in front. the wheel cranks the legs out into a split. so the more u crank the wider the split. it has done WONDERS for me roundhouse to the head. or the legs for that matter. i dont know off hand the tech name for the device but it is a great investment. if u want to improve leg flex, this is the best way i know of

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:whip1:hi. in regards to higher kicking. for me personanally, at our dojo we have leg stretch machines. they look like some medevil torture device. its a seat and leg supports with a wheel in front. the wheel cranks the legs out into a split. so the more u crank the wider the split. it has done WONDERS for me roundhouse to the head. or the legs for that matter. i dont know off hand the tech name for the device but it is a great investment. if u want to improve leg flex, this is the best way i know of

Some of it's increased flexibility, ss. But don't neglect strength either, particularly the strength in hip flexors, which are very hard to target using standard (or even nonstandard) weight-room technology. I have a stretching/strength exercise that I've been experimenting with that was the topic of this thread, which aims at increasing hip flexor flexibility first, but can become a strength-building exercise as well if you add leg weights (carefully, high on the lower leg, not down by the ankle) at the right time.

Balance, strength and flexibility are all tied together in such a way in determining kicking technique that you kind of have to work on them all together; the routine I've described in the linked thread looks as if it fits that bill, though there are probably a lot of other exercises out there that would be useful too... it's just not that easy to come up with them, given how relatively inaccessible the hip flexors are.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
I am going to say that you are too young to have experience and lack insight to understand.

Speaking from experience, and had been in the Bar/Club business, all the fights I have seen, and some been in, no one threw any high kicks.

Therefore, in street/self defense, plus (UFC), no one will use high kicks,

A.) They make you LOOSE your balance

B.) Not as powerful as low kicks or punches

C.) Take too much time and effort to implement.

I'm sorry, but if you think that a kick to the face isn't as powerful as a punch to the face then you don't understand body mechanics or kicks in general. I will be honest, to the untrained student, high kicks are clumsy and more of a detriment in a fight than an asset. But if perfected, they are deadly. Any true martial artist can tell you that one technique will not always work, but every technique will work in the proper situation. I suggest that you look more into high kicking martial arts, and martial arts that use faking, feigning, and proper positioning for different ranges.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but if you think that a kick to the face isn't as powerful as a punch to the face then you don't understand body mechanics or kicks in general. I will be honest, to the untrained student, high kicks are clumsy and more of a detriment in a fight than an asset. But if perfected, they are deadly. Any true martial artist can tell you that one technique will not always work, but every technique will work in the proper situation. I suggest that you look more into high kicking martial arts, and martial arts that use faking, feigning, and proper positioning for different ranges.
the post you are answering s ten years old,I'm not sure the risk involved in doing a high kick is worth the benefit you get f you can actually land it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the post you are answering s ten years old,I'm not sure the risk involved in doing a high kick is worth the benefit you get f you can actually land it

Yeah. But worth it for that prediction that you wont see head kicks in the UFC.

"And we will have flying cars. And everyone will have to learn lotus. To make computors work."

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Tigerwoman, mobility, then dynamic stretches, swinging your legs may help.

Hope I helped!