what type of stretching for higher kicks?

R

Rahde

I know that dynamic stretching helps higher kicks but I'm just starting out in MA and my legs are ridicoulsy unflexible. bending down I can get my hands about 2-3 inches from my feet and I can get my sidekicks slightly more than waist level but they lack any power. I've heard that I should do some static stretching to get myself a basis of flexibility first before doing dynamic ones. is that true? or should I only do dynamic?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Rahde to the board. There has been lots about stretching and flexibility regarding higher kicks. The Search arrow on the blue panel above will help bring up the posts and you could probably readily see the ones you may be interested in.

First do mobility stretches,neck, shoulders, torso, knees, ankles, then dynamic rising kicks, front kicks, rising back kicks. Then workout, warmup those muscles for thirty minutes. Slow kicks front, round, side and holding them for a couple sec. are a great flexiblity builder and can be added to the workout. Also crescents, axe, hook and spin heels when you are ready to add them to your technique list. Then after warmed, you can do isometric side or static front splits or just plain ones stretching longer. The static stretches are at the end, last thing you do before you walk out the door. TW

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Rahde said:
I know that dynamic stretching helps higher kicks but I'm just starting out in MA and my legs are ridicoulsy unflexible. bending down I can get my hands about 2-3 inches from my feet and I can get my sidekicks slightly more than waist level but they lack any power. I've heard that I should do some static stretching to get myself a basis of flexibility first before doing dynamic ones. is that true? or should I only do dynamic?
Dynamic is the shiznit for kicks. I managed to add about two feet of hieight to my kicks in about two months by doing straight leg swings. .

I don't think static will help you kicks at all, but you should be doing some for the other benefits it can provide.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot to add, flexibility takes time, Rome was not built in a night. TW

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do high kicks. I would just swing my legs out to try to keep the legs straight for as high as you can go.

OP
R

Rahde

thanks for all the responses
regarding dynamic kicks, am I supposed to swing them, i.e. don't hold them out at their highest point, or hold them?

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Rahde said:
regarding dynamic kicks, am I supposed to swing them, i.e. don't hold them out at their highest point, or hold them?
Be careful with dynamic stretching, especialy if you are tight and cold. As stated above, warm up first. Two stretches I like that offer a lot of control when you push to the edge are :

1 Do a summersault into a wall close enough to have your bum rest where the wall meets the floor and let gravity help you do splits-ie, your back is on the floor with your bum and legs against the wall. Hold at your edge for about 15 seconds then try to inch a little more and repeat as you wish. Go SLOW. Hold stretches for 15-30 seconds, less or more is not optimal. This will stretch for side kicks.

2 If you have a partner to help, have them squat in front and place your calf at the ankle on their shoulder with their opposite hand crossing to hold your knee closed and the shoulder hand on your ankle, then have them rise SLOWLY and hold for 15 seconds at your apex. This is good for front kicks. If you do not have a partner, find a comfortable support (we happened to have convenient paralell bars in our gym) and then lean in SLOW.

It has been said it takes time, so be patient and consistent and it will pay off.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rahde said:

Dynamic are a straight-legged rising kick. Not holding, not tense. You are warming up with these. The back leg comes forward to waist level if that is easy now and then up as it is comfortable. As your muscles warm Do at least 30 per leg after the mobility exercises and the beginning of the workout. As these get more flexible, you should go down to a count of 15-20 each session. Also side stretches with your arm out-horizontally as a target and stopper. Also back swings straight legged. All of these are easy going. TW

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dont take this the wrong way, but why try a high kick at all? Hands are much faster than legs. If I want to kick somebody in the head, I'll put'em on the ground first. Besides, it saves my hips from that unfortunate surgery later in life.

comments?:)

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rahde, a Book that you may like to read,which Answers many questions as to Flexibility , is Strecching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz. A great reference Guide.
cheers.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I forgot to add, flexibility takes time, Rome was not built in a night. TW
Flexibility will take a while. Keep stretching (however you decide is the best method for you), and it will come. It's taken me a while to be able to stretch comfortably and be able to grab my feet, for example. But it will happen.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gray Phoenix said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but why try a high kick at all? comments?:)

Off topic, start a new thread if you would like comments. This thread's topic is what kind of stretching for high kicks. TW

thepanjr

Green Belt
Reaction score
i would put my leg on one those bars that are higher than ure leg and lay ure leg on it. You can also put a smaller one to stretch bure leg. Try to kneel down it will make it feel more stretchty. I got bad english srry.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great comments and and I like the one on just practice swinging the leg out (off-course with warms-ups and static stretching first). It is nice to be able to kick high. Practice and practice more..... Aloha

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flexibility takes a lot of hard work to achieve. If you stretch everyday, and try to stretch a little further each time you'll get there, but bear in mind thta you will never use a high kick in a real fight!

When stretching you should stretch so that you feel a minor discomfort, don't overdo it or it could set you back. But still work on speed and power and practice balance as well so that you don't fall over while performing one of these high kicks

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
!!!!proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation!!!!​
THAT is the "Schiz-nit", the penultimate in 'stretching science' today!!!
It's most often called "PNF stretching" for short.
Here's a decent article on it for starters:
http://tkdtutor.com/11Training/Stretching/TypesOfStretching.htm

The 'PNF' part is the bottom third.
It is the fastest way, the best way and the safest way to improve flexibility.
TRUST ME: Leave ballistic 99% ALONE.

Your Brother
John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gray Phoenix said:
Dont take this the wrong way, but why try a high kick at all? Hands are much faster than legs. If I want to kick somebody in the head, I'll put'em on the ground first. Besides, it saves my hips from that unfortunate surgery later in life.

comments?:)
I agree.I still don't understand the thing about high kicks. Seems like they could be ineffective at times.

These arts that do not have high kicking- Aikido, Judo, Ju Jitsu, UFC(champion fighters-do not use them), Jeet Kune Do, Boxing, other well-known effective arts have many accomplishments without such tactics.

You have to ask your self, what is the TRUE accomplishment of high-kicking? You are a logical-intelligent person, ask yourself will it actually help your defense capability?

The Accomplishment of High Kicking:
It is a PERSONAL accomplishment.
To be able TO DO IT.
To accomplish balance and a certain "look", per "Look what I can do". Not so much to show others (as with some to fuel a ego), but to say to yourself, that I (you) Can Do It.
It is a goal for yourself.
Your personal mindset for accomplishment.
It accomplishes nothing in a real situation or studying those arts that do not use it, that I pointed out to you.
This is a good article on kicking;
http://www.iainabernethy.com/articles/article_27.htm

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
whoa whoa whoa i dont know about it being not usefull, i mean if you cant avoid a fight you can fake a hook punch and come in with a 360 spin kick which is very effective

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hwarang said:
whoa whoa whoa i dont know about it being not usefull, i mean if you cant avoid a fight you can fake a hook punch and come in with a 360 spin kick which is very effective
I am going to say that you are too young to have experience and lack insight to understand.

Speaking from experience, and had been in the Bar/Club business, all the fights I have seen, and some been in, no one threw any high kicks.

Therefore, in street/self defense, plus (UFC), no one will use high kicks,

A.) They make you LOOSE your balance

B.) Not as powerful as low kicks or punches

C.) Take too much time and effort to implement.

Latest Discussions