What style do practice and why did you choose it????

Reaction score
There's been an interesting discussion on other threads relating to the difference in body types / gates and style of choice, so I figured a thread should be created in its honour??

So Questions as follows
1. What style/s do you best use / most use / prefer

2. Why did you choose it/them

3.What body type and size do you have

4. What gate ( inside / outside ) if any as preference do you usually use

cheers

Blooming Lotus

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh I'll bite...

1-- Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut
2-- At 35, the hips/knees/ankles don't like the nothern stuff anylonger
3-- Atheltic enough to impress people who are easily impressed
4-- Inside centerline

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Style: Kenpo - It is my base martial art. Will always be my base system. There's many reasons why I prefer Kenpo over other but all in all it suits my needs the best.

As soon as I came in contact with Kenpo I was hooked and haven't looked back since.

Body style: Ectomorph - 5'7" and 160

I'm an inside person. I just feel much more comfortable being on the inside of an opponent.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
Jfarnsworth : suits your needs how exactly??? Will you tell me what and how??
Sure,
I knew there were things missing from my TKD training. Being in the studio I couldn't quite place it but I knew some things weren't exactly what i was looking for. As I said in another thread I looked around to other area schools trying things out until I watched one 1hr class at the kenpo studio. After that I knew I was hooked for the long haul.
Kenpo is better for me as it can be modified to suit my body style, my needs in self-defense. There is not a right or wrong way of things there's technique such and such and ideally it works this way but there's different ways to do it. Being 5'7" I have to modify things to make them work for me as someone 6' may not have to deviate from the set ideal self defense technique. There's my way and a different way. I was at a seminar with a noteable Kenpo insturctor and I said to him that I was having serious problems making this specific technique work. He shrugged his shoulders and said yeah in the "ideal" situation it probably won't. Then he said since we're both a little shorter I'll show you what I prefer to do in the instance. You know it worked so much better for me that it turned out to be one of my favorites. All because of a slight variation. There's hundreds and hundreds of reasons why I love to practice kenpo. Too many to list here. The forms have much greater meanings plus the 157 self defense techniques have more ideas to offer that I will never run out of material for the rest of my life.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eh, ok why not.

1.) 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu

2.) Originally chose it because I wanted to get back into CMA and it was all that was around at the time. Now, I stay with it because of its completenss, its practicality, and hardcore training methods. The amount of material is enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes, let alone just the one I get.

3.) Hmm, well tall, dark and hansome comes to mind :) J/K I'm 6' 2" 200 lbs, and I workout about 3 hours a day so I'm kinda fit I guess, not as much as some. I'm deffinitely not a limber as many are.

4.) Well, I naturally prefer outside gate, but I'm working heavily on inside gate. Ideally I'll be equally proficient with both.

7sm

R

RHD

Bloomingtianshilotus said:
There's been an interesting discussion on other threads relating to the difference in body types / gates and style of choice, so I figured a thread should be created in its honour??

So Questions as follows

cheers

Blooming Lotus

1) Hung Ga
2) LOL, it was either that or Wing Chun becasue they were the only CMA available in my area
3) Short-n-stocky...205lbs (mostly muscle ;) )
4) Whichever gate opens up when I knock

Mike

wingchunner

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok I'll bite:
1.) Leung Sheung's Classical Wing Chun (Primary), Chen Tai Chi chuan (Chen Qingzhou line), Fu family internal martial arts. (I'm liking what Liu straight-line baguachang has to offer too).
2.) it walks the talk. When it met my teacher he trains like he fights and fights how he trains. Since I've been with my teacher for 12 years, I'm the same. In the other styles I trained I trained one way and fought another.
3.)about 5'9" about 175 lbs
4.) Doesn't matter. (Both) Once we make contact we're going, and good luck.

Marty

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

So Questions as follows

cheers

Blooming Lotus
1. Kenpo and Taijiquan
2. Kenpo- Chosen because I was looking for a style with emphasis on self-defense
Taijiquan- Chosen to rehab a banged-up shoulder
3. Broken down old geezer.
4. Outside gate if possible, but stuff happens.

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score

I chose Tae Kwon do.

I chose Tae Kwon Do because I didn't have any other choices. I live in a rural town, and Tae Kwon Do is the only martial art offered in the city.

I'm female, 5'3, I have small hands and feet, people tell me they look 'fragile'. So just be appearance I don't lthink I ook very strong.

Inside

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
Interesting stuff so far , thx to all for sharing but keep it comming because I think we're just warming up.

BL
I was kinda hoping there would be more turnout in this section.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score

1) Use best: Tae Kwon do
Use most: Shaolin-do
Prefer: Monkey

2) I'm a shaolin-do practitioner because it was the only CMA offered at my college (until recently)

3) Slender and dense. 5'10", 145lbs.

4) Inside gate - all that Tae Kwon do training drilled it heavily into me. I prefer outside gate, though, and am working on making it as instinctive as my inside gate.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
2) I'm a shaolin-do practitioner because it was the only CMA offered at my college (until recently)
Stop by & give us try next semester... :)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I was kinda hoping there would be more turnout in this section.
This is more turnout than I expected. Its good to see posts going on in the CMA section, the more the merrier.

7sm

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This does sound familiar, but maybe previous threads only covered part of what you've asked here. I might as well reply.

1. Main style(s) -- Yang style tai chi and northern Shaolin long fist kung fu; these are the two taught in the campus club I joined a few years ago

2. Why you chose it/them? -- mainly because I wanted to learn tai chi in a real martial arts class and not one of those health/exercise classes that seem to be so prominent. Since our teacher was teaching kung fu first, I decided to go ahead and take that so that I could learn the tai chi I wanted later (which I did).

3. Body type -- well, I'm about 5'8" and somewhere around 175 lbs. I could afford to lose a bit of weight (couldn't most people?), but I don't stress out about it. I just try to make sure I don't gain weight. I'd said my build is fairly average.

4. Gate preference -- I have no idea. I never did much sparring practice or anything, so while I have some grasp of the concept, it's probably not very detailed and I don't have any real practice to draw upon to make a choice.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Sure,
Being 5'7" I have to modify things to make them work for me as someone 6' may not have to deviate from the set ideal self defense technique. There's my way and a different way. I was at a seminar with a noteable Kenpo insturctor and I said to him that I was having serious problems making this specific technique work. He shrugged his shoulders and said yeah in the "ideal" situation it probably won't. Then he said since we're both a little shorter I'll show you what I prefer to do in the instance. .
I know exactly what you mean because I'm a little on the short side myself ( of your own shortess that is :) ) and I find when training with taller men , they find alot of stuff really hard to pull off comfortabley in applying it to myself, like a rear clasped shoulder pin, or a frontal pull one shoulder forward from rear bi grip , push the other back and get your back shoulder into a collar bone and apply some legs etc. Then I get the reverse where a rear triangle shoulder pin is sometimes hard for me ( being I can't really reach ) without a stomp to a calf or something. but modifications for styles on grounds of height , and sussing what I'm defending from where is where I'm really heading here.

So being kenpo sounds geared toward taller ppl , from what you said in that last post, where is it from anyway?? Why tall people. Guess I'll do a few searches of my own, but cheers for putting me on track.

EK : sounds like you have the perfect body type for your style and what I know of it. And feeling you on number 4....... is it just me or do alot of tcmas ( particularly shaolin and it's multitudes with all their elements etc) neglect that outside aspect??? Actually it's funny because I think I have some shuai chiao pics from Henan that I'm sure use outside gate apps on feet. But how often do you get that outside gate mind set from shaolin?? ........Really...... ????

Blooming Lotus

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
What do you think your reason for that is?? Is that a 7* thing or a personal app pref??
It's most deffinitely not a 7* thing, more of a natural tendency for me, probably still lingering from other styles I've studied.

7sm

Latest Discussions