Why do you (did you) crosstrain styles

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am throwing this question aout to anyone who wants to answer but I am mainly asking those that train CMA and have a style they consider or considered thier main style

Not do you crosstrain but if you do, or if you did, why?

Why did you feel the need to train another style if you already had a main style in CMA

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am throwing this question aout to anyone who wants to answer but I am mainly asking those that train CMA and have a style they consider or considered thier main style

Why did you feel the need to train another style if you already had a main style in CMA

Variety... Monogamy is great is some aspects of life. CMA's don't fall under that category.

I've always tried to find complements to my main style (CLF) but not necessarily a twin or cousin of it.

Or just things for the "aw yeah... " factor of inherent coolness. That's happened!!

BUT ...

Xingyi due to its linearness without linear is very complementary with CLF & rivals the aggressive nature of CLF.
Chen Taiji due to its different ideas on circles from the CLF circles I'm used to.
Praying Mantis & Longfist due to their NOT being CLF but yet sharing lots of the same ideas/principles/techniques, but not...

Unlike I've heard people say before "I'm out to fill gaps", I'm not. I'm out to build layers.

And I do like the buffet-ness of CMA's... :s550:

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score

I have only been training a little while but my two main styles would be 7 Star Mantis and Xingyi....why you may ask? Well I feel that by nowing more then one style or system that i would be more affective as a fighter, more affective for self defense and as well as keeping a variety. Not that one style is better then the next, they are all different and to me training different styles teaches you a lot more then just another style but also another way of training that you might not have known or seen before.

Example of this for me would be my xingyi training coupled with my mantis trainging. The San Ti Shi stance practice alone has not only helped me with Xingyi BUT it has also helped me to imrpove my footwork over all in mantis as well as strengthing my legs. Even though the principles and basics are different in each style, i find that by training them together it has opened my mind to change and difference.

Also it doesnt help to be able to switch to another technique that your enemy wouldnt be expecting.....:)

Also for me one of the big things i want to learn is certain weapons but not all styles study the same. One weapon i have always wanted to learn is the 3 Sectional Staff and i know there isnt a form for it within Mantis or Xingyi BUT i will have the ability to train it as my Sifu knows a few forms and all the basics within the weapon itself. Variety baby, variety :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My goal is to find out how to use my entire body effectively, so I tend to focus on principles, and I can understand them better if i sniff around various styles.

I also like to find connections between disciplines -- I've always thought in an interdisciplinary way, which might explain why my resume is weak on credentials. :) Now, if i wanted to be known as an expert in a style, i might not choose to cross-pollinate so much, but becoming an expert isn't that important to me, so it'll probably never happen.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While goju karate is my primary, my teachers teachers bring 'supplementary' studies of Feeding Crane kung fu, tai chi, and bagua into training. Basically, for principles of movement, power generation, and bunkai interpretation.

Latest Discussions