What positive contribution have YOU made to Modern Arnis?

OP
D

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Ok,

Now on with the thread.

-Palusut
That works for me. I am looking forward to more positive contribution statements.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My goodness. I just found out about this thread and for once it got toasty without my participation. My timing must be getting better.

So, the thing I have done most for the art has been the clarification of the instruction and history of my teacher. I do this via my books, seminars, and upcoming video instruction. On a brief side note, my arnis has been less influenced by the physical training karate background I've had (but who can honestly deny their background?) and more by my research into martial arts principles.

Ryan - unfortunately the clashing of personalities of the senior students of Remy Presas does not make a good presentation of the art but hey, we could be Ed Parker's American Kenpo shortly after the founder's death so we're not that bad. We each are doing our part to continue our teacher's, and now our art. As Mark said, Modern Arnis is not dying.

I think this is an interesting question regardless of its validity in the larger scheme of things. Whether I get along with (insert name here) or not is not necessarily valid nor is the question of if my contributions are equal, better, or lesser than (insert name here). That has no validity, in my opinion. What we have done and what we are doing is valid and that we continue is valid. One other thing which I think is great is that in the last number of years, there are some quiet, yet skilled and knolwedgeable guys who have been minding their own business have come out and have begun to publicly contribute. One such person known to this forum is Rich Parsons.

Anyway, my twenty seven cents worth.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Ryan - You don't need to join my camp to come by and train (if you ever get out this way). That is an open invitation to eveyone else, by the way. That is now twenty eight cents. DA

PPS - James - if the leadership does not take this as an open invitation for a pissing match ( and I think they won't), it could turn into a great "4-years since" assessment of what we collectively done to keep the art going and growing. I, for one, won't turn this into a pissing match. DA

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bester said:
Well said Ryan.
Here's the opposite question, directed to the so called "Leaders" in MA: What have you done to damage Arnis and tarnish the dreams of GM. Presas?
Bester,

I'll take you up on that one. My online clashes with Kelly Worden and Tim Hartman. How damaging has it been to the art? The art survives and thrives. How damaging has it been to Remy's dreams? Again, the art survives and thrives. The only difference is that it thrives under the leadership of many instead of just one - the founder.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Gryphon

White Belt
Reaction score
As I promised in my last post to Dr. Barber, I said that if he said that I was mistaken in his intent that I would take his word at face value and publicly apologize to him.

Dr. Barber,

I did not have malicious intent in questioning you, but I take you at your word that I was wrong. I apologize for reading things in your question that were not there and hope that this is a suffucient means of redress.

Sincerely,

Ryan J. Kelsey

SHADOW

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ryan - unfortunately the clashing of personalities of the senior students of Remy Presas does not make a good presentation of the art but hey, we could be Ed Parker's American Kenpo shortly after the founder's death so we're not that bad. We each are doing our part to continue our teacher's, and now our art.

What's that supposed to mean??

Craig Dishmon
Kenpo-Parker/Planas Lineage
Pekiti-Tirsia- McGrath/Whitson Lineage
Remy Presas Arnis
THE DIRTY BOYZ

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SHADOW said:
Ryan - 1. unfortunately the clashing of personalities of the senior students of Remy Presas does not make a good presentation of the art but hey, we could be Ed Parker's American Kenpo shortly after the founder's death so we're not that bad. 2. We each are doing our part to continue our teacher's, and now our art.

What's that supposed to mean??

Craig Dishmon
Kenpo-Parker/Planas Lineage
Pekiti-Tirsia- McGrath/Whitson Lineage
Remy Presas Arnis
THE DIRTY BOYZ
Craig,

1. From my understanding, when Mr. Parker died, the mad scramble for who was the top of the heap outstripped the Modern Arnis mess. If I am incorrect then I stand corrected.

2. As an art is transmitted down, it becomes part of us. Since the founder of Modern Arnis died, the art has passed down to us for better or worse.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, well, well....

I'm out of town for a couple days and the place goes to hell! I just got back from Denver and had a great time. Unfortunately I have to be at the school at 7:00 am for classes. It will be a couple days before I get a chance to post, especially with getting ready for the upcoming seminar in Philly. So let me ask this… What have you done Jerome?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
On 9-27-2005, I replied in part: This is what "...I have done in the past to positively contribute the legacy of Professor, I have taught Modern Arnis at Erie Community College in both Orchard Park and Buffalo, NY since 1987 to the present. My four course sequence is taught for academic credit through the PE Department. Professor himself approved the entire program in writing in 1989. I also hosted Professor for at least one seminar and camp every year from 1986 to 1994."

Respectfully,
Jerome Barber, Ed.D.
Tim,
This is from Jerome's very first post. There is, at least, one of his answers.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Against my better judgement...

I have travelled around, met some folks, shared in the art and made new friends. (the important part).
I have hosted various seminars and camps.
I have served on the boards of two major Modern Arnis associations.
I have introduced folks in other FMA systems to Modern Arnis.
I have been instrumental in establishing Modern Arnis as a program core in martial arts clubs at two top-tier Universities.
I have taught seminars/camps in several states.
I have introduced new students to the art (the next generation, post RP, so to speak).
I have continued to seek out training from my seniors within the Modern Arnis community and found acceptance and support from top FMA players in other systems.
I am using Modern Arnis as a means to provide a hand up to members of our family in the devastated Gulf South.
I have dealt with a small number of posers and agenda hounds messing with the above out of some twisted feelings of inferiority.

I don't think Professor would be entirely un-pleased.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the thread had started to get back on track.

This reminds me of a kid's story "Lil Toot" (something like that) about the little train that kept running of the tracks and running out in the fields chasing butterflies, looking at buttercup flowers, chasing a horse etc. etc. instead of staying on the track.

Sorry I'm a bit cranky this morning, my hands are bothering me again and I've got to go see the Chiropracter before work. I just didn't want to see the thread disinagrate into another pissing match. Which it doesn't have to. I actually thought this could be a decent thread to see what things others students and instructors have done to further Modern Arnis, and I hope it will go that way.

Each of us have a choice to take it down that path (the decent way) or have it go down a path to the dark side.

Mark

OP
D

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
As I promised in my last post to Dr. Barber, I said that if he said that I was mistaken in his intent that I would take his word at face value and publicly apologize to him.

Dr. Barber,

I did not have malicious intent in questioning you, but I take you at your word that I was wrong. I apologize for reading things in your question that were not there and hope that this is a suffucient means of redress.

Sincerely,

Ryan J. Kelsey
Thank you, Ryan,

Apology accepted. Let's move forward .

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
D

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
T Hartman said:
So let me ask this… What have you done Jerome?
A beautiful and positive thing, Tim. I asked a question based on a statement of yours.

Jerome

OP
D

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Tim,
This is from Jerome's very first post. There is, at least, one of his answers.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Tnanks Dan, I was in Rochester and Syracuse this weekend and just didn't have time to get on the computer to check the progress of this thread. The ECC Modern Arnis Program and the Symposium are two of the positive contributions that I have made to Modern Arnis.

I would also like to reinterate that I have enjoyed reading what others have pointed to as their individual contributions to Modern Arnis. Contrary to the suggestion that people would use the thread as a self-serving testimonial, the posts have been factual and very informative. I am impressed and very pleased with the results thus far from the people who followed the format and simply answered the question as asked.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
D

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Against my better judgement...

I have travelled around, met some folks, shared in the art and made new friends. (the important part).
I have hosted various seminars and camps.
I have served on the boards of two major Modern Arnis associations.
I have introduced folks in other FMA systems to Modern Arnis.
I have been instrumental in establishing Modern Arnis as a program core in martial arts clubs at two top-tier Universities.
I have taught seminars/camps in several states.
I have introduced new students to the art (the next generation, post RP, so to speak).
I have continued to seek out training from my seniors within the Modern Arnis community and found acceptance and support from top FMA players in other systems.
I am using Modern Arnis as a means to provide a hand up to members of our family in the devastated Gulf South.
I have dealt with a small number of posers and agenda hounds messing with the above out of some twisted feelings of inferiority.

I don't think Professor would be entirely un-pleased.
Dear Chad,

I am sorry that you felt that you were posting against your better judgement. I appriciate what you have done and see as your positive contributions to Modern Arnis. The university club programs are of special interest to me, personally because of what I have done in the past and in a modified manner still do in the present. I see no reason why you should be apprehensive about posting your contributions. You are on solid ground and there's no bragging or hype in your presentation. Thanks for your participation on this threaad.

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gents,

Back on track please. Here's one for Tim - he has worked over the last couple of years opening up northern Europe for Modern Arnis.

Yours,
Dan

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about a twist on the question?

What CAN YOU DO to contribute to Modern Arnis? Is spreading the art (seminars, schools etc.) all you can do to be considered a contributor? What does the art need?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
How about a twist on the question?

What CAN YOU DO to contribute to Modern Arnis? Is spreading the art (seminars, schools etc.) all you can do to be considered a contributor? What does the art need?
Good twist but another thread topic, I believe. Question 2 I would answer yes. Any contribution should be validated. Question 3? Hoo boy, that's a loaded question with as many answers as there are opinions.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as a slight tangent, looking at all the activity going on in the Modern Arnis realm, its a good time to be involved.

Just a few things I've noticed:
- Dan Anderson's published several books
- Various leaders have videos out on the art, including Tim Hartman, Kelly Worden, Dieter Knuttel and the Presas family.
- There are seminars all over the place. The WMAA's got at least 30 listed on their site, the IMAF has done at least a dozen, Dr. Barber had the Symposium a few years back, there has been a higher presence at various FMA events.
- and so much more!

I think it's all good. :)

Latest Discussions