What martial art is best for a beginner and can I teach myself?

AxSirlotl

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm completely new to martial arts but want to learn something that would be best suited for self defence. I also want to know if I'd be able to teach myself using the internet or whether I should get classes. I'd rather not have to pay for lessons as I'm only 17, still in education and am already paying for a gym membership.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You cannot teach yourself martial arts. You can't learn much that's effective from videos either.

The best martial art for you is the one you're going to train at for a long period of time. Search the dojos in your area. Cross off the ones you can't afford and the ones that conflict with your schedule. Within reason, visit the rest. There's no best martial art, but there is a bit fit dojo for you. How the art is being taught and who you're training alongside are for more important than the style, except in very extreme circumstances.

Let's pretend boxing is the ultimate martial art. Would it be so good if the coach was a horrible teacher and all his boxers were 8 year olds? It might be great for them, but who are you going to train against? Substitute any martial art style for boxing here, and you'll get the same result.

As far as learning from a video...
Let's say you buy a heavy bag and some gloves, and watch some Freddie Roach how-to videos (he's got some great ones on YouTube). Let's say you actually perform what he's teaching flawlessly. What's that going to equate to? You'll be great at working a heavy bag. What's the problem? The bag doesn't move and hit you back. And it doesn't teach you how to avoid being hit.

Regarding self defense...
There's very little "self defense" taught at most dojos. There's fighting in various forms, but very little true self defense in the sense of things like avoidance. I have no idea where you are, but in my area self defense courses are taught at local police departments for free. They're not martial arts classes, but they teach physical tactics as well as avoidance and awareness techniques. Perhaps your area has something like this?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Depending on the location, there may be places you can go to train that you would not have to pay for as a minor.

Does your school have a wrestling team? If so, join it. Are you planning on going to college? If it's a big enough school, they will probably have martial arts clubs, try to join one of those.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
which art is best for a beginner?

whichever art the beginner chooses, and enjoys enough to stick with.

No, you cannot teach yourself - if you teach yourself, you have a rubbish teacher.

Contrary to popular belief, martial arts typically have little to do with, and are of little help with 'self defence'

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You cant teach your self if you dont have any Martial Arts experience and the internet is not good either you are just gonna get confuse

If you really wanna learn Martial arts look for a Martial Arts school near you that fits you make sure you ask question like what kind of Martial arts do they teach and how it works when apply as a self defense and of course the cost of the Training and make sure you can afford the cause of the training some they as you to pay a lot and others is a right price and make sure you pick a great awesome instructor that will teach ya real Martial Arts

Since I do Martial arts i quit going to the gym because the gym they charge you more than Martial Arts school whats the used of the gym if your doing Martial arts because in a Martial arts school you do a lot of excercise and body endurace so if i were you quit the gym and do Martial arts

were are you located Maybe i can help you look for 1

HI im KenpoMaster805 and im a 3rd Brown Belt and I do Kenpo karate and ive been doing it for 4 years now and I love it its fun

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where do you live? Depending on the location, there may be places you can go to train that you would not have to pay for as a minor.

Does your school have a wrestling team? If so, join it. Are you planning on going to college? If it's a big enough school, they will probably have martial arts clubs, try to join one of those.
What a good suggestion for the OP to join a club at college / school.. those would be free of cost or at least inexpensive yes?? xo

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm completely new to martial arts but want to learn something that would be best suited for self defence. I also want to know if I'd be able to teach myself using the internet or whether I should get classes. I'd rather not have to pay for lessons as I'm only 17, still in education and am already paying for a gym membership.
Any martial art may be good for self defence. But hardly you can find one that is great, I am afraid...

There is very little you can learn by yourself. A war needs a commander and two opposite sides, at least. How could you learn a martial art alone?

If you really want it, why not to pay MA training instead of the gym?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, martial arts typically have little to do with, and are of little help with 'self defence'
Can you explain please why you assess martial arts in this way you have here?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's a silly thing to say, most arts are nothing more than teaching efficient movement to apply force to another person,

in what way is that little to do with defending yourself , and how is that of little use if you were attacked?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's just phycobabble
but the fact remains that having learnt efficient application of force through movement, that will be of use to you if attacked, which is what the other guy said was not true

Ah so you don't know who Mark MacYoung is then. A lot of people agree with him, a lot don't but to dismiss it in the way you have is interesting. You don't care to elaborate?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh. What self defence is and isn't. OK. You will learn stuff in martial arts. But you will probably need to learn other stuff as well.

Unless you do MMA.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah so you don't know who Mark MacYoung is then. A lot of people agree with him, a lot don't but to dismiss it in the way you have is interesting. You don't care to elaborate?
its the same old tack, from someone,selling themselves or their services, "MA is useless as it doesn't teach you this or that about violence or avoidance" or what ever he is selling.

MA should increase you power balance co ordination and speed etal that is always of use if attacked, it most probably doesn't teach you not to go in to bad pubs, but that's your mum and dads job

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. What self defence is and isn't. OK. You will learn stuff right in martial arts. But you will probably need to learn other stuff as well.

Unless you do MMA.

its the same old tack, from someone,selling themselves or their services, "MA is useless as it doesn't teach you this or that about violence or avoidance" or what ever he is selling.

MA should increase you power balance co ordination and speed etal that is always of use if attacked, it most probably doesn't teach you not to go in to bad pubs, but that's your mum and dads job

Someone expressed an opinion, they were asked why they held that opinion, it's one that isn't uncommon in martial arts and is worth a few other posts which may help the OP choose what style he wants to do or even change his views on what he wants.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someone expressed an opinion, they were asked why they held that opinion, it's one that isn't uncommon in martial arts and is worth a few other posts which may help the OP choose what style he wants to do or even change his views on what he wants.

OK. It is the martial artist version of marketing.

Does your martial art combat the 7 signs of ageing? If not you should learn mark Young's version because the streets.

OK for the OP.

You can't rally make up stuff as you go along. Plenty of people have said it and are mostly on point with the concept. So to follow on from that idea.

If the school teaches people to fight. It should have a grounding in fighting. In other words someone should be using that martial art to fight someone.

If it teaches self defence it should have a grounding in self defence. Someone should be using it for that purpose.

If it teaches people other skills like deescalation or situational awareness or tactical driving or swimming or a whole bunch of skills that may help under specific circumstances. Then they need to have a grounding in those skills.remember about making stuff up. Here is where it is done a lot.

Otherwise what you are doing is live action role play. Which while fun has limited useful benefit.

So don't fall for the hype or subscribe to a belief system just because a guy called Animal tells you he has won a bunch of street fights. (I have won a bunch of street fights and I am not all that crash hot)

Find a person who has a real background in the skills and has the technical proficiency to apply them.

Does that about cover it?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Maybe the martial arts you have learned is useless for self-defense. I can assure you that the training I have received is quite useful for self-defense, among other things it is good for. That was actually the entire point of it when it was created.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Maybe the martial arts you have learned is useless for self-defense. I can assure you that the training I have received is quite useful for self-defense, among other things it is good for. That was actually the entire point of it when it was created.
No kiddin'

This new vein of people claiming martial arts or fighting skills in general arent for 'self defense' have apparently never been physically attacked and had to...self defend..

Latest Discussions