What makes it fun and interesting?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I believe that repetition is the mother of skill, and that the path to mastery is in constant improvement and practicing the basics, I also think we need to keep changing the routine up or we can get BORED! As a student taking a class, what kinds of things help make your classes fun and interesting? When have you had the most fun and why? I would love to hear from instructors and students.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've been doing a shared class for a bit..and the new faces, energy and skills level has been fun.

Last week, we did all our bo katas...and then each person had to try (each) kata...with nunti-bo.

There's a reason why my teacher calls it 'the dummy stick'. You think you know a bo kata, and then try it with the nunti-bo...suddenly you forget the kata! LOL!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy class when we do something different...either learning new material or approaching old material in a new way. I don't mind sloggin through the same old drills as long as there's somethign new or unique coming up.

Peace,
Erik

Zyaga

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy things being switched up often. Here are some examples:

1. Adding weapons to a class can always be fun :D
  2. Having class competitions(sparring, smoothest techniques, etc. Even better if there is a prize for the winner. :) )
  3. Playing games. (Example: 2 vs 1; where you win by getting the 1 down to the ground)
  4. Introducing techniques that may not be what you commonly train(possibly even outside of the style you're studying) but are helpful.
  5. Hard Sparring. Taking a beating is something I'm actually good at. ;)
  6. If you have a big enough range of rank difference at the school. Have the "higher"(more experienced) students have to spar 2 "lower"(less experienced) students at the same time. It should prove challenging enough to both sides. The "lower" students will also learn to work together.
Hope some of those help. :p

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strenuous exertion.

Hard to get bored when someone/something is kicking your butt ;)

OP
stickarts

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been doing a shared class for a bit..and the new faces, energy and skills level has been fun.

Last week, we did all our bo katas...and then each person had to try (each) kata...with nunti-bo.

There's a reason why my teacher calls it 'the dummy stick'. You think you know a bo kata, and then try it with the nunti-bo...suddenly you forget the kata! LOL!

Sounds great! What is a shared class?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
For the kids, I sometime have relay races. Tumble to the first bag, get up throw 2 roundhouse kicks, run to the next bag throw 2 reverse punches and then duck walk back to their line so the next one can go.
For the adults I'm a little old school. I think they should perfect the basics before moving on to too many new things. Although we do throw some new things in there once in a while.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I love it when my instructor shows & teaches things from different styles, for instance, different ways to counter the same strike. It's been a while since he did it, but it's nice to try 'another approach' and learn more about our own style.

I also like weapons training and wrist&arm locks but we don't do them too often...

akash

White Belt
Reaction score
Tumble to the first bag, get up throw 2 roundhouse kicks, run to the next bag throw 2 reverse punches and then duck walk back to their line so the next one can go.
For the adults I'm a little old school. I think they should perfect the basics before moving

rhn_kenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me, the learning quality and amount of fun I have in class is always a function of which other students attend, and which instructor is teaching.

I learn the most, and have the most fun, when the training intensity is high and the instructor pushes the class. After one of these classes, my gi is always soaked with sweat and I've usually got a new bruise or two.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like it when my instructor teaches us some concept and then has us put a technique that uses then it in formal technique. Then we use it in a more practical way.

For me and my wife, we love this type of class.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twice a month we let the beginner student try and teach us as though we are beginners and the same with the mid belts, it does put a whole different perspective with them everytime.

OP
stickarts

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twice a month we let the beginner student try and teach us as though we are beginners and the same with the mid belts, it does put a whole different perspective with them everytime.

That's awesome! I enjoy making mistakes and not moving the way they instruct me to and see if they notice. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome! I enjoy making mistakes and not moving the way they instruct me to and see if they notice. :)

Me too we have it kind of pre arrange with the BB to make certain mistake, mostly the same one's they do and see if they catch it. Whan they do sometimes you hear them say I make that same mistake. It sure does help to open some of there minds a bit.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes it fun and interesting? Having the ability to look back to the time when your more advanced students were beginners. I find it quite funny at how they started out as a little spazz and now they have shaped up into a fine MAist. Just when you think the new kids will never get it, you take a look at your advanced guys and you are refreshed.

MrsM

White Belt
Reaction score
I love when we do exercises that incorporate self-defense techniques that we learned in class into a more "real life" scenario. For example, one person stands in the middle of a circle with his eyes closed and is attacked by various students (as directed by the instructor). You don't know what's coming from where! Sometimes the teacher will turn down the lights and crank up the stereo to add some additional stress. Now that's fun! :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the most fun, when instructor and student, are interacting, which leads to the ideal learning experience for both. An enthusiastic teacher can make the most mundane lesson and techniques jump to life.
icon12.gif

Latest Discussions