What Kobudo Weapon you like most

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like learing all the kobudo weapons I can ,but no matter what weapon I learn my fav is always Sai. I am not sure why maybe cause there cool to use or the forms are ok. But lets talk about which one is your fav and what are the reason please get back to me

K

KenpoDragon

My favorite has always been the Nunchaku. Reasons why, the speed, the beauty, the power, and the flash. No other single handed weapon is as fast or as intoxicating to look at. It is really cool though when you can use two at the same time, difficult at times but very intense. The best double "chuk" demo I've ever seen was in a movie called Sidekicks with Chuck Norris. The movie was kind of cheesy, but the weapons demos at the end were excellent. I was first attracted to the Nunchaku after watching Bruce Lee use them in Enter the Dragon, man was he GOOD. It's so hard to see everything that he was doing, even in slow motion. I've been using the Nunchaku for over a decade and still can't compare to his speed or skill level with them. Another good Nunchaku movie scene was in Game of Death, the uncut version with Dan Inosanto and Bruce going toe to toe with Nunchaku. Just my opinion though.

:asian: KenpoDragon

I

Isshin Dragon

Yeah, I gotta go with the nunchaku also, i've been playing with those for about 15 years on and off, and now that I've gotten back into the martial arts I've picked them back up. I agree with the reasons of why as stated above...the speed and flash and so on. Oh yeah, and Michaelangelo from the ninja turtles used them.

R

ryansaunders

I have to agree with TallAdam85 the sai daggers are my personal favorite to, even though i have learnt several other weapons, including escrima, jo, tonfa, kama and katana. I always keep coming back to them, my belive is that thier is a certain grace and style to them.

T

tonbo

Do I have to pick just one?

Sorry, can't do it....:D . I like the bo, the sai, and the nunchaku all quite a bit. Haven't played much with the tonfa and the oar, though.....so I really can't say I favor them....uh....yet. :)

Peace--

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Akashiro Tamaya
Hi Adam,

I'd say the Bo. Its Simple to learn and provides great workout upper body workout.

Simple to learn?
I guess that depends on which kata and which techniques you are learning.

T

tonbo

Simple to learn?

Sure!! All the weapons are simple to learn!!!

Now, learning to use them *right*.......that's a different matter.....

:D

:asian:

Peace--

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Simple to learn?
I guess that depends on which kata and which techniques you are learning.

Sorry Guys, I didn't mean simple as is easy for anyone to pick up and learn.

I should have phrase it better. I term the word simple as in uncomplicated, something you can practice and perfect over and over, rather trying to figure it over and over.

One of my favorite Bo kata is Suishinokon (sp?). The moves are basic and it took me rather 4-5 days just to learn the fundamental movements. Even now I still enjoy doing this kata.

I apologized in advance to Tonbo, Ryushikan and everyone else, If my posting came off with an air of arrogance.

Ossu ! :asian:

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Akashiro Tamaya
Sorry Guys, I didn't mean simple as is easy for anyone to pick up and learn.

I should have phrase it better. I term the word simple as in uncomplicated, something you can practice and perfect over and over, rather trying to figure it over and over.

One of my favorite Bo kata is Suishinokon (sp?). The moves are basic and it took me rather 4-5 days just to learn the fundamental movements. Even now I still enjoy doing this kata.

I apologized in advance to Tonbo, Ryushikan and everyone else, If my posting came off with an air of arrogance.

Ossu ! :asian:

Not to knit-pick but it takes years to “know” a kata.
Sure you can learn the moves in a day or two……….but to understand the application takes much longer.

C

chufeng

RSK,

Can you shed any light on the use of Nunchaku or Oars in traditional kobudo?

chufeng

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Not to knit-pick but it takes years to “know” a kata.
Sure you can learn the moves in a day or two……….but to understand the application takes much longer.

You worded the quote better than I did. Thank you !

J

Jill666

Originally posted by chufeng
RSK,

Oars

chufeng

Oars as in boat oars? That's a new one on me, guys- or is it something similar that evolved into a weapon?

Please enlighten. :asian:

For practical uses I favor the bo, since you can always grab a stick. For flash and frustration value, the sai. Multiple striking uses, parry uses, cool look, harder to work with, bitching forearm workout.

I learned a bunch of bo forms in kenpo- now in ninjutsu am learning different, more in-depth usage of the bo. Now I have to go back and re-study my bo forms-

It never ends...

( BTW that's not a criticism of kenpo; just happens that my instructor in kenpo teaches the forms first, whereas my ninjutsu instructor teaches how to move with the weapon- no kata yet. )

Uh, what was the question?

C

chufeng

But I don't see Oar or Nunchaku in that article...???

Are those weapons and associated kata something that are more recent? Are they "modern additions" that some people want to call classical Kobudo? What's up???

chufeng

S

Sauzin

That's a tough one, it comes to a close neck by neck race between the bo and the eku. I'm going to have to say eku. Why, well it's just plain fun, good work out, and the weight falling into your techniques that is behind the eku is something that's hard to get elsewhere. I mean the nunte-bo has a similar feel but the weight isn't distributed the same. In actual combat, once the eku becomes familiar it is surprisingly fast and effective.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the bo. Nothing feels like home, like a good grip on a bo. Still I gotta go with the eku.

-Sauzin

S

Sauzin

So I know I'm new here but let me give a shot at describing the oar or eku.

The eku traditionally is made out of red oak, stands just a bit shorter then a 6' bo. The paddle has a rigged side and a curved side which is key to performing an eku kata correctly. You've got to know which side is facing what at all times. This is generally obtained through a good feel for the weapon and the grip. The most common grip is with both hands palm down over the handle. Most strikes and blocks are performed with almost a stroking motion as though you were paddling through water, though there are a great many other striking maneuvers. Many eku kata contain a lot of step across motions often seen or described as kicking sand. Many eku kata also contain a unique move called "flinging coal" where the paddle end is plunged downward and then kicked or levered back up. The eku is a uniquely Okinawan weapon with many of it's origins from sea faring traders and fishermen. The kata I am most familiar with is "Suken ackacho no eku de bo" (I'm sure I didn't spell it right, that is largely phonetic) but it refers to a guy who was known as a red haired pirate. The actual design of the weapon can be largely accredited to Shureido and martial artists who worked closely with the shop. Originally the eku was only about 4 ½ feet tall, but more recent versions are much larger and heavier.

Everything I know about the eku comes from Seikichi Odo through Dean Stevens.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by chufeng
But I don't see Oar or Nunchaku in that article...???

Are those weapons and associated kata something that are more recent? Are they "modern additions" that some people want to call classical Kobudo? What's up???

chufeng
'

The nunchaku and eku are old weapons, however, the nunchaku are often the most misunderstood weapon by modern MA people.
Contrary to popular myth they are not for flipping around aka "flying Ninja Squirrel" style. People that practice them that way are doing the "Bruce Lee" version and don't understand the actual use of the weapon. They are for trapping and gripping. Knowing the original use for the "tool" is important to understand the MA application of the "weapon". They were NOT use as rice flails but as horse bridals. Anyone that doubts this should pay a visit to Mr. Hokoma's Okinawan MA museum in Okinawa were an extensive history of the weapon can be found

R

RyuShiKan

eku

Attachments

• $eku.jpg
    $eku.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 425

Latest Discussions