what is your favourite throw in ninjutsu?

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes this makes sense but what does'nt make sense is why traditional shinobe were taught this way if it wasn't practical in real life. wasn't ninjutsu focused more on the practical skills rather than flashy techniques? maybe it was more relevant in that time period and people actually moved in pronounced but graceful manner rather than modern times were there is nothing graceful at all and its all about efficiency.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you probably have a slightly unrealistic image of what the training was like for the ancient warriors. The training was simple for those expected to use it "in the field", focused on a few simple moves. The "higher level" style teachings and training, which most think of as the "standard", was more realistically for the higher ranked people (think of it as the tactical training for the Generals, rather than the boot camp for the regular soldiers). And when the art hit peace time, it allowed for a greater exploration of the concepts of the art, including looking to more applications and "techniques". Systems such as Takagi Yoshin Ryu, which boasts well over 100 kata, are good examples of this peace time expansion.

This also explains why these systems have such well developed unarmed systems, when unarmed combat would be one of the last resort, and rarest situations that the warriors would have found themselves in.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
it all boils down to mushin. Train until you can react without the necessity for mental processesing and selection. The moves are trained and drilled until they are second nature, and pure technique is absorbed in the personal bodily reality of the practitioner. It is this that kata seeks to teach, not different techniques, but the understanding of it, so you can make them truely your own. Essentially that means the same as what Chris said: when you break things down to their essentials, not too many distinct techniques remain distinct... most are variations of one another. usefull to know variations, but understanding waza, pretty much means you'll have to understand your further options too, often that is henka.

to put it simply: on the field of battle there is no "technique". Only life or death. And even that shouldn't concern you.

Favourite techniques get you killed faster imho, although I am talking sengoku jidai context here :).

Last edited:

Muawijhe

Green Belt
Reaction score
is there really a time when you can adapt to the situation without even thinking about it?

Yes and no. I don't think ever being in a situation where you are not "thinking about it" is ever wise. In Judo, we trained to find that sweet spot between an automatic response and analytical thinking.

It's difficult to express, but if you play a sport or have a hobby (preferably one that gets your adrenaline flowing) that you feel confident at when performing, then you've probably felt that "in the zone" feeling. It's purely mental, imo, as the body is just a machine that reacts.

The body will always react (even if that reaction is to just stand still or freeze), regardless of situation (react to external stimuli like being punched or kicked, the laws of physics), internal stimuli (physical limitations, a bad breakfast, etc.), and mental stimuli (pain, doubt). Now, this is just how it was explained to me many years ago and my experiences since then has shown so for me (perhaps I'm just putting my puzzle together because of that; each to their own), so take with a grain of salt.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess my students find me a waza-affectionate person, since most techniques are my favourite at some point ;). Limiting yourself to a "favourite" limits your options severely, since specific situations call for specific responses. On top of that, your favourite might be severe overkill in the real world, or unwise in certain contexts. Temakura for example, while a great technique, is not very wise when mobbed by three angry assailants, since you go prone yourself. In this case osoto would be much wiser, although I'd personally prefer sticking to daken (yeah, koppo and kosshi, really) until hostile numbers and eagerness to engage are somewhat reduced. UNLESS (for example) my assailants would be thaiboxing drugaddicts, than i'd probably change strategy. So, it all really depends on context. My favourite food might not be my favourite breakfast, so to speak.

Think about it, talking about "favourite technique" is really putting the gyaku-jime on what taijutsu really ought to be; versatile.
Favorite techniques in my eyes just means.
Suppose your opponent makes his move. The move he has made gives you certain techniques that work wonders in the situation that you are in. You will choose the technique out of the bag that is your favorite, and that you excel at the best. I wouldn't perform that same technique all the time. Only if it's given to me in the best situation for it. You can have favorites and still remain "empty mind." I mean honestly I think there's techniques that you're just going to do a lot better with, than others.

gregtca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you going to try and kill me ? Soke said very long time ago , you dont tell anyone your fav techniques,
Greg

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes to just react without the necessity for mental processesing and selection as Kajowaraku pointed out. that would be the ultimate goal. but to have automatic response instead of analytical thinking you would have to of trained these techniques untill you know every variable and can adjust to the situation in real time to be able to do that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's impossible to know every variable, that's the dreaded "what if?" syndrome. What is possible, and is the ideal, is to completely understand and internalise the principles, and to allow them to freely adapt and express themselves through you in the moment... and the only way to do that is to get your conscious mind out of the way. This is Mushin, really.

Muawijhe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I believe we are talking about the same thing, just I am having my words fail for me, lol.

For me, when I've exerpienced it (or something as best as I could assume is that state of mind), my mind became accelerated, but not on a conscious level like we normally think at.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha, not really, it's just a different approach. I would say that you may be limiting what your students could possibly learn by limiting it to your personallity and it's preferences, but that's probably the biggest danger.

Oh, I teach them things that I personally abhor (anything involving a jump or a spin). I do love some of the more basic movements. I know and teach the more complicated stuff, but I'm slowly moving back towards the 'one strike' mindset of defending oneself with TKD.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A focus on basics is great. I've seen schools suffer badly from teachers who only want to teach what is "important" to them, which is what I was getting at above. Things like only teaching "security" techniques, because the instructor works doors, even though the majority of the students don't, and those that do don't want their personal training time to be like work, and so on.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favoirte is the one my partner (or opponent if it ever comes to that) sets himself up to fall into as a reaction to my movements.

Then I execute it.

:)

Ok well, can Oya Goroshi be considered a throw If i drive my opponent to the floor with it? Koe Goroshi? No? LOL.

Damn it.

Latest Discussions