What is jeet Kune Do?

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll translate it as, "When you punch me, I'll hit your punching arm." But I have never seen any JKD guy does that.
Yep, that's one. How 'bout attack and control whatever is closest using a quick point of leverage on the way in?

Or using receptivity and speed, making first strike while an opponent was just beginning a movement.

Lee added lots of things as time went on, but his primary concept was intercepting a movement even BEFORE a typical block or full extension.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll translate it as, "When you punch me, I'll hit your punching arm." But I have never seen any JKD guy does that.
It happens all the time in combat sports. Parrying fists is Boxing 101.

Wing Chun gets more elaborate, but it's the same basic idea. Jun Fan Kuen, with practical exposure. Nothing new.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yep, that's one. How 'bout attack and control whatever is closest using a quick point of leverage on the way in?

Or using receptivity and speed, making first strike while an opponent was just beginning a movement.

Lee added lots of things as time went on, but his primary concept was intercepting a movement even BEFORE a typical block or full extension.
The following supports not chasing a fist, rather your fist intercepts their center.

A secondary attack is when your opponent initiates the attack and you attack [intercept] into his attack during one of five timings; 1) on intention, 2) on preparation, 3) on delivery 4) on completion & 5) on recovery.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The following supports not chasing a fist, rather your fist intercepts their center.
Really, I'm getting at the idea that by coordinating the seconday, you can do both at the same time...use defense and offense concurrently. Proactive Receptivity intercepts.

Im not talking about a secondary or countering attack. I'm talking (by secondary) coordinating 2 actions at one time. One offense, one defense, both in a single action. Example, using the forward hand (striking)and the rear (secondary- blocking) hand, together in one action.

Just a movie, but I first noticed the beginning of this in 1970, in the famous clip where he attacks O'hara in the tournament. In the first stinke (its hard to see), but he actually puts o'hara's lead hand into HIS secondard hand on the way in. Coordinating his primary strike with his secondary defensive hand. You can see him let go of it about the time he makes contact. I think most people see what his forward hand is doing, but what his rearward hand is doing was a major part of the overall concept.

You can see it a little better in the second strike.

Last edited:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's what led me to realize you can block and punch at the same time in one simultaneous motion.

Becoming that receptive is a whole'nother story. I coined a term for it that my instructor seemed to like. The Magnetic Mirror.

I had combined a spontaneous form of Chi Sao and Tai Chi's Push Hands...with Lee's concept. That played a big part in learning it.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions